View Diary: President Bush fires employee for serving in the Reserves (230 comments)

•  Only part that bugs me (1+ / 0-)
    skymutt
    Iglesias says:

Sometimes I add a little extra duty so it probably averages out to 40, maybe 45 days of duty per year.

If I simply added a week or two extra of time off, my management would almost surely notice, and maybe say "don't do that".  It's unclear what "Sometimes I add..." really means.

•  Well, as Iglesias said... (6+ / 0-)

...at the end of this segment of testimony, it was never made an issue to him until after he was forced to resign. According to his testimony, 36 days was the minimum he could serve.  I'm sure glad that there are Reservists willing to serve for more than the minimum when our forces are stretched so thin.  4-9 extra days of service per year sounds very reasonable to me. If it was a problem, someone should have brought it up.

YOU GO TO WAR WITH THE PRESIDENT YOU HAVE. You don't go to war with the President you wish you had. --Tim Ryan, D-OH

by skymutt on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 04:58:06 AM PST

•  Basis of an employment grievance (8+ / 0-)

The DOJ is just a walking liability.  That's elementary HR.  Laws were broken by DOJ holding his military service against him.  They could not promote him based on his service, but they are required to hold a job for him.  But DOJ acted illegally - they fired him.

•  Quick! (3+ / 0-)
          citizen92, DC Scott, skymutt

Someone call the Department of Labor!

So many impeachable offenses, so little time...

by Cali Techie on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 09:01:53 AM PST

•  That would be 2 people. (0+ / 0-)

There is no D.O.L., anymore.  The Rethugs have seen to that.  The very party that these ousted lawyers belong to.
            The only interesting thing about they're case is the possibility of 2 Rethug resignations from the Senate and Congress.  Especially Peter (what is it with Rethugs and names for a male organ?) Domenici.  Smug butthole that he is.  As for the lawyers being fired, hey, it's a cruel world out there.  Gotta pick yourself up and get another job.  I'd point you to an organization to help but the homeless shelters are full.

"Certain individuals aren't sticking to the plan." - Warren Zevon

by rainmanjr on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 04:23:52 PM PST

•  And who is (1+ / 0-)
          citizen92

the head , ultimately of the DOJ ?
          Would that be bushboy ?

•  Well, not so fast. DOJ hosed AUSAs on OT. (1+ / 0-)
          citizen92

Merits aside, back in 1999, Assistant U.S. Attorneys filed class action against DOJ for not paying overtime for the long hours associated with their jobs.  HERE.  DC Circuit Court of Appeals tossed the case in 2004 because AUSAs "didn't get the proper written approval before putting in extra hours."  HERE.  Ahhhh, those traps for the unwary.

I doubtthat the DC Circuit Court of Appeals would rule for Iglesias against DOJ, although I would like to think so.  Court packing has its advantages.  And the DC Circuit passed the tipping point some time ago.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." To Kill A Mockingbird

by DC Scott on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 02:08:16 PM PST

•  Depends on the tasks involved (6+ / 0-)
      The man sounds like he tries to complete a given task to it's final end point and doesn't just leave it for someone else to do.
      From his testimony and apparent record, it's very probable that this is why he would take such extra time.
      Then again I'm a bit obsessive about finishing my work so... I may be a bit biased.

If we have no freedom nor civil liberties, then what worth is our lives that we can not pursue living?

by RElland on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 05:11:51 AM PST

•  You would find.... (9+ / 0-)

that Reserve duty, as an officer or senior enlisted, entails doing much more time than "required". Often I would see "the wardroom" being the first to arrive, last to leave and often coming in to work on weekdays to keep the unit running. There are unspoken expectations of senior military personnel to put in more time than the "one weekend a month/ two weeks a year"

Rick
      USNR Retired

-5.13,-5.63 Start saving money for '08 NOW! IMPEACH...IMPEACH...IMPEACH.. Now more than EVER!

by rickeagle on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 07:17:04 AM PST

•  Especially in a time of war (2+ / 0-)
        indycam, skymutt

It's not like he's hanging around the mess hall smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. As I understand it if you work for the Federal Government they don't count time spent performing reserve military duties as time away from the job.

So many impeachable offenses, so little time...

by Cali Techie on Wed Mar 07, 2007 at 09:04:24 AM PST

•  Actually, Reserve duty probably.. (0+ / 0-)

involved hanging around smoking cigarettes ("And watching Captain Kangaroo..."). They're only temp. help and usually have to do common things around the base. Especially since the long-term base soldiers are, uhm, "on assignment".  If I remember my basic 'help fix up the base' days correctly, we spent a lot of time by the mess hall.

"Certain individuals aren't sticking to the plan." - Warren Zevon