View Diary: Science Friday: Sixty Men from Ur (217 comments)

•  My Dad used to enjoy himself (2+ / 0-)
    Abou Ben Adhem, Bionic
    at parties (with I assume mostly Caucasian Americans) by maintaining that we are ALL direct descendants of Charlemagne (Eighth-Ninth Century, so maybe 30 generations to play with....).

He had 12 children, and all it would take was a single randy missionary in the 1400s to make most Chinese, Africans etc. direct descendants of Charlemagne too............

The Perfect is the Enemy of the Better

by dabize on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 12:14:52 PM PST

•  Mr Bionic actually is a direct descendent (0+ / 0-)

of Charlemagne, Wiiliam the Conqueror and the first King of Kiev (I read that part on a site and I always found it funny.  I have no idea who the first king of Kiev was.)

My own lines are far more humble.  The only claim to "fame" I've found was some ancestor had a butchershop on Whitechapel Road at the same time that Jack the Ripper was maurauding in the area.  That must have been scary.

But I also read a quote once to the effect that the honours of your ancestors belong to your ancestors, so I find genealogy fascinating for the way it can connect us to history than for any claim to exalted status it gives any of us.

The Next Agenda "For Progressive Canadian Politics"

by Bionic on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 12:29:55 PM PST

•  Also (0+ / 0-)

did you see a program on PBS last year that researched the ancestors of prominent blacks.

It was very moving and fascinating.

When they did the research using the Y chromosome for father of father ancestors, the (black) host's ancestors went back to England and France.

I recall when Roots came out.  It was mindblowing how he was able to search through the records to find his family's roots. We decided after watching the series that one of my brother's ancestors were Mandingo.

The Next Agenda "For Progressive Canadian Politics"

by Bionic on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 12:34:51 PM PST

•  'Roots' was fascinating, (0+ / 0-)

I should read it again.

I don't get: "We decided after watching the series that one of my brother's ancestors were Mandingo."
        Does your brother have different ancestors than yourself?

The Republicans are defunding, not defending, America.

by DSPS owl on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 03:18:12 PM PST

•  Yes. Forgot to add. (1+ / 0-)
          DSPS owl

Adopted. Black fathers.

The Next Agenda "For Progressive Canadian Politics"

by Bionic on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 08:21:48 PM PST

•  Ooooh. Didn't think of that. (1+ / 0-)
            Bionic

Sort of the same situation as a friend of mine.  Adopted.  Mother = Korean.  Father = unknown U.S.serviceman.  Leads to speculating: what did father look like?  I think maybe he looked Mexican.....?

The Republicans are defunding, not defending, America.

by DSPS owl on Fri Mar 09, 2007 at 09:43:41 PM PST