View Diary: Bombshell: MenuFoods KNEW Their Product Was Deadly; Lawsuit Filed (91 comments)

•  Non-Menufoods cat food suggestions? (3+ / 0-)
    anna, Joe Bob, sccs

We've been feeding our cats dry Nutro cat food for quite some time now.  Nutro is apparently made by Menufoods.  The reason we chose this brand is because it consistently receives good reviews, is relatively inexpensive and is pretty readily available (get it at my local PetsMart).

I used to feed them Hills Science Diet, which was fine.  However I switched them to Nutro after reading good reviews and finding that it was not that much more expensive.

Given everything that has gone on with this case, I'm inclined to switch them to something else not made by this company.  I don't believe Hill's is a Menufoods brand.  Is this right?  Does anyone have any good cat food recommendations that aren't manufactured by Menufoods?

•  This week-end's thread (2+ / 0-)
      anna, sccs

Lots of recommendations for Wellness and Pet Promise.

Revolutionary words start revolutions

by Catte Nappe on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:24:38 PM PDT

•  i can't say it enough (4+ / 0-)
      MJB, FrankFrink, sccs, lemming22

royal canin is a great brand.  our vet got us on it almost two years ago.  we saw a very quick improvement in our cats' coats and energy level, and less, well, kitty treasures in the catbox.  =)

one of my cats is borderline diabetic, and royal canin makes prescription specific brands, too.  ever since we put him on the fatcat royal canin brand, he's got more energy and has actually dropped about a pound (he really needed to).

plus it apparently tastes really good.  my two healthy cats will NOT eat anything but royal canin now.  they turn their noses up at everything else.

but of course, ask your vet before changing brands.

Visit us at TexasKAOS, where we're taking Texas back!

by anna on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:25:04 PM PDT

•  Warning on Royal Canin (2+ / 0-)
        anna, lemming22

While looking up stuff related to this particular issue I came across this.

Two Toronto law firms have jointly filed a national class action lawsuit against pet food manufacturer Royal Canin Canada Co. seeking $60 million in damages.

Law firms Rochon Genova LLP and Himelfarb Proszanski LLP are seeking compensation for all those who purchased Royal Canin dog or cat food since Aug. 1, 2004.

The claim is not related to the recall last Friday of 60 million tins of pet food manufactured by Menu Foods

snip..

The legal action against Royal Canin alleges that certain types of dog or cat food contain excessive amounts of Vitamin D, which causes illness or death in pets.

The proposed lead plaintiff is Janet Grixti of Whitby, who said her 5-year-old Chocolate Labrador Retriever named Mocha developed chronic renal failure and will have to endure this condition for the rest of his life

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

by FrankFrink on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 02:29:53 PM PDT

•  Yes. Menu foods does produce for Hill's (3+ / 0-)
      anna, Catte Nappe, sccs

And also for pretty much most pet food 'brands'. It may be difficult to find a non-MenuFoods produced brand. But also please keep in mind that this problem is only with 'cuts & gravy' style foods, which I have never fed my critters anyway. It's not about dry kibble

Q: What brands and types of pet food are being recalled?

A: The recall involves Ontario-based Menu Foods' "cuts and gravy" style cat and dog food packaged from Dec. 3 to March 6. The wet food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, is packaged in cans and small foil pouches. The food was sold under numerous brand names — 40 cat food brands and 51 dog food brands as of Monday.

And believe me, I'm not trying to sound like an industry flack or hack here - I have critters, have all my life. I'm a responsible pet owner and cherish each and every animals that has been a part of my life - but what is affected in the recalls represents about 1%, yes, one percent, of all the pet foods manufactured in North America.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

by FrankFrink on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:28:09 PM PDT

•  Oh, and re Hills (2+ / 0-)
      anna, sccs

At least some of their foods come from Menu. Their chunks in gravy are on the recall list.

Hill's® Pet Nutrition, Inc. has announced a voluntary precautionary recall in the United States of a very small number of canned cat products that are co-manufactured by Menu.

Revolutionary words start revolutions

by Catte Nappe on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:32:24 PM PDT

•  The number of kitties I have at home (2+ / 0-)
      anna, sccs

is in the double digits.  I used to feed them Waltham until it got so hard to find the stuff.  Then we switched to Nutro, but found that after a while they became rather indifferent to it.  Since it's almost as important to find something everyone likes as it is to find something nutritious (what good is buying the expensive stuff if nobody eats it?) I've been thrilled that they've all come together for plain old Friskies.  I had to read the label for the flavors that didn't contain reconstituted fish beaks, and everyone is happy.

...don't blame me, I voted for Ned!

by theark on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:46:55 PM PDT

•  Precise (2+ / 0-)
      anna, sccs

I tried Science Diet, Iam's & Eukanuba when I first got my Dalmatian and she wasn't enthusiastic about any of them. My vet suggested Precise and she absolutely loved it. It has high-quality ingredients and no chemical preservatives. It's impossible to say if the food has anything to do with it but she's now 12 years old and still going strong.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

by Joe Bob on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 12:52:41 PM PDT

•  Nutro dry is *not* made by MenuFoods... (2+ / 0-)
      anna, FrankFrink

...just the pouched bits-in-gravy food.

Devilpootie Butterscotch eats Nutro Max Cat Light, and I'd never expose her to this if possible.  The other two pooties get Precise Senior, although they do get canned wet food as a treat - right now, Friskies.

(Safeway Priority is on the list, and we're lucky Safeway had a sale on 24-packs of Friskies wet a while back - we're still using cans from that.)

9-11 changed everything? Well, Katrina changed it back.

by varro on Wed Mar 21, 2007 at 01:59:48 PM PDT

• Labor (18)
  • Law (18)
  • Spam (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Media (17)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (15)
  • White House (14)
  • International (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site