View Diary: Teacher's Lounge: Agenda (119 comments)

•  Southwest? (2+ / 0-)
    gp39m, CanadianBill

I lived in Joplin from late '68 until '71.

Teacher's Lounge opens every Saturday between 11 am and noon. It's not just for teachers.

by rserven on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 10:06:48 AM PDT

•  Used to be... (5+ / 0-)

The one and only good thing our boy wonder "governor" has accomplished on his watch was getting the "Southwest" out of our institution's name. I'll bet you had a blast Joppling back in the day!

But who grants absolution
      For sins that never were committed?

by gp39m on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 10:19:00 AM PDT

•  Joplin! Did you say howdy to Charlie Nabell? n/t (0+ / 0-)

Abigail, I'm sure if there is something out there, looking down on us from somewhere else in the Universe, they're wise enough to stay away from us. --Grissom

by world traveler on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 04:02:50 PM PDT

•  Haven't got a clue who that is... (0+ / 0-)

...although Google is my friend and I can find out.

by rserven on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 04:26:15 PM PDT

•  Yessssssssssssssss!!! (0+ / 0-)

This week it's my turn to pull an obscure one on you.
          Sorry it doesn't have a political turn to it, but if I wait that long, I'll never have a chance.
          Charlie was famous in country music history for his obscurity.  Everyone knew what he'd done (the first folk performer to record authentic Western folk songs), but no one knew anything about him--nothing at all beyond his name.  And right up 'till 1970, there he was in Joplin, just chugging along, waiting to be interviewed.  And no one ever found him.  A little bit of Missouri and Southern history that the world passed by.
          But his records live...well actually they're almost impossible to find any more. Sic Transit Gloria Country Music Mundi.

by world traveler on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 04:46:04 PM PDT

•  I assume this was before: (0+ / 0-)

A way out here they've got a name for wind and rain and fire
            The rain is Jack the fire is Joe and they call the wind Maria
            Maria flows the stars around since the clouds're flying
            Maria makes the mountains sound like cold wind out there dying
            Maria Maria they call the wind Maria
            Before I knew Maria's name heard her wails and whining
            I had a girl and she had me and the sun was always shining
            And then one day I left my girl left her far behind me
            Maria blowed her love to me I need her here beside me
            Maria Maria they call the wind Maria
            Out here they've got a name for rain and wind and fire only
            But when you're lost and all alone there ain't no name for lonely
            Now I'm a lost and lonely man without the stars to guide me
            Maria blowed her love to me I need her here beside me
            Maria Maria they call the wind Maria

by rserven on Sat Mar 24, 2007 at 05:18:31 PM PDT

•  Well before. Actually I prefer songs (1+ / 0-)
              rserven

more or less from the oral tradition, like (it wouldn't cut and paste, so let's see how my typing is tonight...):

Long-haired preachers come out every night
              Try to tell you what's wrong and what's right
              But when asked about something to eat
              They will answer in voices so sweet

"You will eat, by and by,
              In that glorious land above the sky
              Work and pray, live on hay -
              You'll get pie in the sky when you die"-that's a lie!

And the Starvation Army they play
              And they sing and they clap and they pray
              Till they get all your coin on the drum
              Then they'll tell you to go on the bum

Holy Rollers and Jumpers come out
              And they sing and they clap and they shout
              "Give your money to Jesus," they say,
              "He will cure all diseases today."

Working folks of all countries unite
              Side by side we for freedom will fight
              When the world and it's wealth we have gained
              To the grafters we'll sing this refrain:

You will eat, by and by,
              When you learn how to cook and how to fry
              Chop some wood it'll do you good
              Then you'll eat in the sweet by and by-that's no lie.

by world traveler on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 02:02:45 AM PDT