View Diary: Today I met my 14yr old Daughter (271 comments)

•  It's time for all of us to stick by our beliefs. (9+ / 0-)

We are getting reinforcement at every turn that our core values are American core values, and that the sell job the Right has paid so much to put over on us is a pack of lies.

We are the truth-tellers and the keepers of our American heritage of freedom and justice for all. I try to stick by this in my business and personal life. Friends have become acquaintances who didn't want to have political conversations.

My beliefs are too important to me and life too short to drop my convictions in order to maintain a friendship. I have friends with whom I differ politically, and we have some pretty lively discussions, but they are willing to discuss politics.

One really rightwing family friend has gone through some adversity in the past few years. We used to have some real go-arounds with him about politics. He finally voted Democrat in '06. He saw that the financial support his family suddenly needed came from Democratic social programs, and that his Republican friends had nothing to offer him. As he is no fool, he changed his thinking.

Domestic policy can only defeat us; foreign policy can kill us. --John F. Kennedy

by 4Freedom on Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 06:53:06 AM PDT

•  You don't know how much I needed these words (8+ / 0-)

of encouragement. I did not sleep a wink last night because my brain is on fire. The steaming pile of bullshit that is being fed to us all day, every day no matter where you look or listen has finally started to burn my nose hairs and the stench is unbearable. Today is day one of my active activism. WE ARE RIGHT!!!! Whew, I feel better already...
      Peace ;)>

"We're right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo! And someone's giving booze to these goddamn things"-Hunter S. Thompson

by rogerdaddy on Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 07:22:59 AM PDT

•  Peace to you, rogerdaddy! (2+ / 0-)
        Hummingbird, rogerdaddy

I am a patriot, and I bet you are too, if you are so concerned as to lose sleep over our present political morass.

We are bound together by our genuine care and concern for our country and our fellow citizens. When we speak about politics and write our letters to the editor and post here and keep informed about current events and times and tides in the political currents, we are honoring our Constitutional obligations of citizenship.

As in November, millions of us acting in concert will bring about the changes we want in our country. Every day our Congress is acting for us in our name. Now that Democrats head both houses, we are seeing a shift in the tide back towards the more humane government we enjoyed under Clinton.

I hope you find more peace. I get upset from time to time as politics are very real and very emotional to me, as they seem to be for you. But day by day I get encouraged by the spine Pelosi and Reid are showing. Pat Leahy's strong stand against Republican abuses is encouraging. Our Democratic candidates for President are encouraging in their competence, care and concern. We have an excellent candidate pool.

The Democrats slogan for the '06 campaign season, "Together, we can do better", didn't appeal much to me at first. But as I experience it in action, I see that there is a core activist community forming of Democrats across the country, and together, we certainly are doing better that we were a year ago.

Take heart! We are the real majority, and our Democratic leadership's work in Congress is just beginning. I have much hope that they can and will act to benefit more of us that the Republican servants of the monied elite are doing.

by 4Freedom on Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 02:57:47 PM PDT

•  If I could tip you twice AND recommend your (2+ / 0-)
          Hummingbird, 4Freedom

comment, I would. You will never know how much the encouragement and support that I have found on this site mean to me.
          Thank you again...you actually brought a tear to my eye.
          God!...I'm a basketcase right now...in a good way :)
          Peace ;)>

by rogerdaddy on Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 04:52:23 PM PDT

•  Rogerdaddy (2+ / 0-)
            4Freedom, rogerdaddy

First of all, LOVE your sig.  Hunter described our situation perfectly (however, most reptiles are not as repugnant as these creatures in power!).

I enjoyed reading this interchange between you and 4freedom, and it inspired me!

You haven't told us the reaction of your Republican acquaintance to these picture.  Do you think he will understand what you are trying to say?

I completely understand the feelings you have been having about the situation we are in here, it's really hard not to obsess on what we are facing, but I think we are obsessing about it because we know how much we are losing.  I find it rather curious that most Republicans  either ignore, or purposefully twist the truth to make it more palatable to them.  As D. L. Hughley said on Bill Maher's Real Time tonight, "It's really fundamental.  We want the truth." I think that is one thing we have been craving for the past 6 years, a simple thing, the truth.  We have been lied to over and over again, the truth has been obfuscated (and we knew it when it was happening, and they knew we knew it, and laughed at us because they thought we were powerless to stop them from lying), and we are worried it's going to just get worse.

I'm hoping this is as bad as it ever gets in this country of ours.  I keep hoping that... but then something happens again, and again. It's incredibly frustrating - and it's heartbreaking.  I keep wondering, what is it going to take for these people to say, "ENOUGH!".  It was enough for me when bush was appointed POTUS by the SCOTUS. I have felt so powerless the last 6 years, just seeing my country deteriorate into a fascist state. We have to save it, for your daughter, for all of our children.

These Dems better get to work!  Everyone here, myself included, has been doing everything we can to help, and will keep doing it,  but it's going to be up to the party in power now to make sure it happens.

IMPEACH!

•  I think it is up to us to keep communicating with (0+ / 0-)

Congress. They need to hear that we are watching and concerned. I stick to issues like Iraq and Iran right now, but make certain every time Congress does a good thing for our country like examining Kyle Sampson so effectively, I email and call them to support them.

I now usually get letters back when I call and speak with a Congressional staff member. They are form letters, but that's fine - there is starting to be the occasional note from my Congressman, for whom I campaigned. So I have built some credibility and always temper suggestions with approval for actions my congresscritters take that I think are helpful.

Some rapport building has paid off. Partly with our suggestions and encouragement, I think the Dems are starting to deliver more progressive legislation and they are definitely holding effective hearings.

by 4Freedom on Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 11:49:17 PM PDT

•  Sorry it took so long to write back but I was (0+ / 0-)

watching some "escapism TV" last night and forgot all about Bill Maher. AAAHHH!!! Thanks for reminding me. I'll catch a re-run of it on HBO (Where is that damn remote?..LOL)
              Anyways, I have not heard anything back from him and I expected as much. He doesn't really know how to type (or spell too well) but I will refuse the temptation to bash him as yet another ignorant rethug. Oooopps! LOL
              You see I live up in Northern CA now whereas he's still based in SoCal where I was born and raised.
              As a matter of fact, I am presently unemployed and am having a hard time mustering the will to go out and find another "job"(u know...thankless, meaningless, dead-end hourly shit) with everything that is going on in the world. It literally pains me to see how the "middle class" is being treated. I wanna do something that makes a difference AND that I can make a living at. Any suggestions, ideas?
              Ok, enough for now. Thanks again for the words of encouragement. I need all I can get right now. I've always been very confident in myself and my abilities/skills/talents but right now I am deeply humbled by everything. Say a prayer/meditation for me. Something will present itself...I have to have faith.
              Thanks again...Peace ;)>