View Diary: Open Thread and Diary Rescue (67 comments)

•  Windows XPP: BSOD Stop Error anyone? (1+ / 0-)
    fareast

I just recently had two computers running XPP crash within a few minutes of each other because of a driver Stop Error BSOD.  They have completely different hardware.

The both have two up to date virus scanners running as well as firewall protection.

What they both have in common is that they were both engaged in DVD/RW tasks about the time of the crash.

The DVD/RW drives are different.

At first I thought that Windbloze had sent out a really bad update.  If that's the problem, then other people would be having it as well.

Did anybody else here have a recent Stop Error BSOD?

-5.75 -4.72 3.14159 2.71828

by xynz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 08:57:07 PM PDT

•  Have you patched for the ani exploit? (1+ / 0-)
      xynz

XP SP2 has a cursor exploit that can be used against your computer(s). I'm presuming you were online when this happened?

Linux in Da House! Use OpenSuse

by fareast on Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 08:59:21 PM PDT

•  I'm always online.... :-) (1+ / 0-)
        fareast
        I'm pretty sure that I patched it right when it came out. IIRC, I didn't even wait for the next automatic update.

....just double checked...yep, auto-updates are still on.

That's why I thought that maybe there was a problem with a windows update.

I'll go ahead and run IE update, see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

-5.75 -4.72 3.14159 2.71828

by xynz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 09:06:30 PM PDT

•  Just ran IE update tool.... (1+ / 0-)
        fareast

....no critical updates outstanding, system was patched for that vulnerability immediately when the patch was distributed.

-5.75 -4.72 3.14159 2.71828

by xynz on Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 09:17:52 PM PDT

•  The only thing I can think of is to reboot (0+ / 0-)

and try again. Those burned DVDs are coasters, for sure though.

Linux in Da House! Use OpenSuse

by fareast on Sun Apr 08, 2007 at 09:25:54 PM PDT

•  Nope...DVDs are fine... (0+ / 0-)

...the first failure occured during eject after write operations were finished.  The other failure occured during a read operation.  Also, they're RWs....so if the burn was bad, I just overwrite them.

I've been wondering if the DVD media are the problem.

I should know better than to buy Sony....

-5.75 -4.72 3.14159 2.71828

• Politics (16)
  • Rescued (16)
  • Media (15)
  • Texas (15)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Barack Obama (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site