View Diary: Senator Whitehouse Busts Gonzales for Burying the DOJ Internal Investigation (251 comments)

•  I tried to live blog this issue (34+ / 0-)

But my typing sucks so it was very abbreviated. Thanks,  Marcy, for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Jesselyn Raddack posted several diaries about the internal workings of the DOJ that are consistent with what Senator Whitehouse was saying. The OPR is will bury the investigation, according to her.

Sheldon Whitehouse was a prosecutor so I'm sure he's on top of this but he deserves our support in pushing for sunshine on this investigation.

"It's the planet, stupid."

by FishOutofWater on Fri Apr 20, 2007 at 12:23:49 PM PDT

•  yes. I agree with Jesselyn's opinion. (10+ / 0-)

I've read her book of course. But also, I've heard from other whistleblowers how this admin. works.

Really...Jesselyn's book sheds light on the DOJ and how it's been run in the last six years.

Support truth tellers. Read Jesselyn Radack's The Canary in the CoalMine. http://patriotictruthteller.net

by Silence is Complicity on Fri Apr 20, 2007 at 01:50:24 PM PDT

•  Whitehouse just kicked his ass. (14+ / 0-)

Did you get a load of that chart he whipped out?

Man, that guy is good.

"Shake my left hand, man, it's closer to my heart." - Jimi Hendrix to Robert Fripp

by The Lighthouse Keeper on Fri Apr 20, 2007 at 04:50:21 PM PDT

•  Whitehouse is great! (8+ / 0-)

But the crooks he's dealing with are really good at failing.
          They plan to fail and they've been doing it a long time because, for a politician, the easiest way to ensure longevity in office is to promise things that can't be accomplished (get rid of homosexuals, preserve marriage, etc) and then ask for more time to try again.

It's not clear where this pattern came from, but it seems to have been transfered from the business sector where the emphasis increasingly seems to be in succeeding by causing the competition to fail.  Perhaps the spectacle of failed enterprise rising from the ashes has convinced them that failure is a good thing.  And in the political realm it surely is.  Especially when it's augmented by the politics of personal destruction.

The problem in calling these crooks to account is that they aren't getting anything for themselves, at least not directly.  (Wolfowitz getting a raise for his girl-friend is a good example)  There's real method in their madness.  By giving outrageous unearned rewards to incompetents, they make their underlings feel guilty and eager for any opportunity to "pay back" their munificence.  Their crooked equals, on the other hand, aren't prosecuted for the crimes which are nevertheless used to blackmail them into compliance with other projects.
          What are you going to convict Gonzo of?  He hasn't done anything.  Not doing or failing as a matter of course is not a crime.
          Which is why they have to be impeached.

•  Madness in their method... :)~ n/t (3+ / 0-)
            rhfactor, Creosote, JanL

I don't think he has the decency to resign. I agree, he will have to be impeached. That's what he's daring them to do.

by The Lighthouse Keeper on Sat Apr 21, 2007 at 01:26:04 AM PDT

•  well put - so flagrant it's a DARE (1+ / 0-)
              The Lighthouse Keeper

and so far our team has not had the cajones to take that dare and slam it down their throats. Hopefully they may now be 'emboldened' by the polls. Just DO it, already. Impeach him, and get on with it. ...

Unless of course Whitehouse has the master strategy to let him stay on as long as possible so they can pursue all the other trails, as suggested in this thread.

[1] [2] --- call-out Access Journalism

by rhfactor on Sat Apr 21, 2007 at 04:09:00 AM PDT

•  tell me about the chart (12+ / 0-)

If you were seriously bored and you happened to re-read all the comments I've posted here, you would notice that I have often advocated that Democratic leaders should educate the American people with charts: one chart being brandished by all Dems for several weeks to show, say, the decline of the minimum wage, then another some time later to show the increases in healthcare premiums, etc.. When the Republifascists copy them, Dems should vociferously tell them to get their own gig. "Charts are our thing. You go lie as you always do."

Anyway, Whitehouse was already my hero after reading this diary, but with a chart, he seriously has my respect.

•  Visual learning..... (4+ / 0-)
            rhfactor, nancelot, victoria2dc, Leap Year

can be very, very effective.

•  It worked well for Ross Perot. (1+ / 0-)
              rhfactor

And no, I'm not being sarcastic. He was amazingly successful for an unknown Independent candidate.

•  isn't that actually putting it too mildly? (2+ / 0-)
              DrReason, The Lighthouse Keeper

Visual learning can be very, very effective.

It's well known that the dominant modality used for teaching is left-brain/verbal ... while many "alternative" schools have used right-brain/visual-associative learning as more primary methods, not just occasional "visual aids".

I'm not at all taking issue with you. I am backing you up 100%.  I totally agree with DrReason, even if his is a more left-brain dominant approach to visual learning, whereas visual storytelling & case studies are more right-brain visual methods of learning.

I can't cite studies or stats, but I believe it is pretty well known amongst educators that people learn in different ways -- and that unfortunately, right-brain learning styles are way second-tier, often afterthoughts; and because of this indoctrinated view of "how to teach someone something" -- primarily with words, and then maybe with charts, whole populations of visual-learners are denied the primary modalities in which they best grok to information and the ah-hah factor.

Of course it's way more complicated than just two modalities. The third is usually cited as kinesthetic, but for anyone who's read EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE, some people who have studied learning methods have identofied 7-8 different modalities in which subject matter can be approached -- as primary channels for conveying information, or as secondary and amplifying channels to help burn the ideas and understanding into the brain.

I also want to note that yes, Ross Perot was considered by some to be looney tunes, but I was so thankful when he brought out his charts. I felt like someone had turned on the lights and was engaging my better modes of learning than just listening to strings of words.

Finally, in all my various postings since the year this blog began, I have frequently invoked the criticality of the left learning the skills of neiro-associative conditioning, or, "ad-science". which the right has mastered for decades.

It is precisely due to the rights 40-year think-tank investment in this whole method of influence-messaging that enabled them to dumb down a large portuin of the American public, training them to respond to their memes and themes, and VISUAL associations.

We have a very long way to go to catch up. Lakoff helped bring awareness to the left about some of these factors. But large segments of the left are only now in year 2-3 of even having an awareness of these communication methods that are far superior to and more influential than the use of the default left skillsets of "logic, facts, evidence, rational discussion". We haven't even begun to invest in how to create emotionally resonant messaging -- not only for elections, but for "selling" the ideas we are trying to convey to Americans.

Anyway, thanks for simply identifying the value of Charts. Some of you may be aware of Edward Tufte, an information designer who's known for many great works, but perhaps best known for his Edward Tufte, an information designer had to happen -- it wasn't just the lack of good information in the hands of the program managers at NASA, it was a gaping hole in the VISUAL PRESENTATION of information from the scientists and engineers who completely knew and understood "the O-rings could fail. This launch must be cancelled."

They never got their message out -- Tufte argues -- partially because they didn't know HOW to present it effectively in that critical timing period.

It's a fantastic case study -- one I'd highly recommend to anyone. (scroll down to the page reproductions titled "PowerPoint does rocket science--and better techniques for technical reports" .

And here's a link to the book -- Visual Explanations: Images and Quantities, Evidence and Narrative -- one of 4 major works he's produced... He's also published visual analysis of Napoleon's Waterloo -- the guy is a major figure in visual communication.

Howard Dean and the DNC  ought to hire him to give a one-year ongoing seminar for any and all Democratic leaders. It could be the best money the Dems have ever spent, imho. :)

[1] [2] --- call-out Access Journalism

by rhfactor on Sat Apr 21, 2007 at 12:55:18 AM PDT

•  He did a fabulous chart showing (2+ / 0-)
            rhfactor, DrReason

the number of connections between the Clinton White House and the DoJ (4:3, respectively) and the Bush WH and the DOJ (something like 400:30, respectively.) Devastating. Leahy was in awe. I wish I had a link. It is here somewhere on this site...

by The Lighthouse Keeper on Sat Apr 21, 2007 at 01:30:55 AM PDT

•  I see that now... (1+ / 0-)
          The Lighthouse Keeper

I was disappointed this time after how he performed during the last hearing when he had his turn at the questioning.  Whitehouse is a former USA, right? What a perfect fit for this kind of work.  I am certain Schumer has dreams about Whitehouse's questioning. Thanks for clarifying Marcy.  I get it now!

•  Wasn't Jeselyn in the OPR? (4+ / 0-)

If I'm correct that proves that the OPR has been politicized as well. Jeselyn got fired and harrassed for doing her job there.

•  yes she was. (3+ / 0-)
        nancelot, victoria2dc, madgranny

I'm quite seriously thinking that Rove had his hands in her firing too.  Afterall, the way the government forces were used against her were not the act of 'little guys' going off on their own.

by Silence is Complicity on Fri Apr 20, 2007 at 08:09:05 PM PDT