View Diary: Agonistic Politics: Why One State Is Best (137 comments)

•  SOME people can't... (1+ / 0-)
    litho

...I have a very hard time believing that the political wing of Hamas is among them, and if they are, Israel is indeed in a great deal of trouble.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it. ~ H.L. Mencken

by Jay Elias on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:02:11 PM PDT

•  Nice Quote (0+ / 0-)

I believe considering the peace true just ended, things are about to get very interesting.

A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin. -H.L. Mencken

by CynicalPartisan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:06:35 PM PDT

•  Eh (4+ / 0-)

I seriously doubt that the end of the truce will be particularly lasting.

The Hamas government was not on board with the actions of the al-Quds brigades, and considering the lack of effectiveness of their actions, I'm quite sure that the prospect of a possible prisoner swap for Gilad Shalit will be more than enough to induce them to reestablish the hudna.

by Jay Elias on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:09:05 PM PDT

•  Hmm.. (0+ / 0-)

I suppose Hamas might be unleashing the al-Quds and claiming it's not their doing, it would give them some political cover, but if the violence starts up again I can't see the mainstream Hamas politicians going for peace.

by CynicalPartisan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:11:39 PM PDT

•  Going for peace... (1+ / 0-)
            npbeachfun

...is not even the near-term goal regarding negotiations with Hamas.  At most, the goal is "settlement", not "peace".

by Jay Elias on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:14:47 PM PDT

•  True, I have my doubts about a settlement. (0+ / 0-)

Jay you seem like a smart fellow, any advice on how to respond to some people screaming I'm a troll? I'm not sure if they have the power to ban me or not, it would be a shame to loose such a chance for interesting discourse.

by CynicalPartisan on Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 03:19:50 PM PDT

•  Yeh, Haniyeh has signalled already that he wants (5+ / 0-)

it to continue. But of course groups like Islamic Jihad, PRC, Martyrs' Brigades etc. will continue to fire rockets because they can't just sit back while Israel arrests and kills their members in the West Bank and do nothing. I mean, they can, but they won't, which is why they've been calling all this time for an extension of the truce to the WB.

• Recommended (130)
  • Media (29)
  • Climate Change (27)
  • Education (23)
  • Congress (23)
  • Spam (23)
  • Civil Rights (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Barack Obama (21)
  • Texas (20)
  • Law (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site