View Diary: Sick and tired of being sick and tired. (45 comments)

•  Somnambule--a few things. (1+ / 0-)
    somnambule
    1. I see by googling past diaries that you are Canadian. But since you are married to an American, doesn't that make you a legal resident at this point? If so, are there any services for people with disabilities that you qualify for? I'm not familiar with how that works. At the end of your post you call for a change in domestic policy, so I assume you are covered in some way by domestic policy?
    1. Do you take cortisol? I was under the impression that it would alleviate if not whatever your underlying autoimmune condition might be, than at least the endocrine manifestations of that condition. I'm wondering if maybe you don't have access to this or it doesn't help?
    1. Not to advocate Dr. Feelgoodism here, because you and your husband have a huge number of real challenges, but depression is nothing to fool around with. Is there any way you can arrange for counseling, even over the phone, and access to medication for depression?

Best wishes,
    Chuy

Success is the child of audacity. --Disraeli

by ChuyHChrist on Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 04:45:47 AM PDT

•  Re: things... (0+ / 0-)
      1. Legal residents no longer receive, last I knew, disability benefits, thanks to republican policymakers. But even if that doesn't change, an improvement in my husband's circumstances helps out the whole household.
      1. I can't get a local doctor to treat addison's disease. Even the endocrinologists here don't believe it exists. What I would need is a doctor familiar with addison's, and enough money to pay to have my hormone levels monitored frequently and medications adjusted. I was put on corticosteroids before by a doctor who did NOT know what he was doing, and it actually made me worse.
      1. Depression runs in my family, so I'm used to dealing with it. I understand how it affects me and generally deal with it. I'm not going to get suicidal; when I think that I might, I always warn my significant others and have them keep an eye on me, and it passes.

I can't take most medications anyway, except for a bunch of antihistamines (paid out of pocket) several times a day to keep my immune reactions down, because my kidneys and liver have trouble detoxifying anything I take and I OD-- I almost died when I stopped being able to process benadryl, of all things. I can't even take painkillers, so when I get a headache, I'm out of commission until it passes.

Anyway, if my circumstances improved, so would my mood. I don't see the point in taking meds for depression brought on by lousy circumstances, anyway-- it's the circumstances that need correcting, not my brain that needs medicating.

Besides, meds and counseling cost money which I don't have.

But thanks very much for the suggestions.

'One and all, bold as brass, they sit there pretending to pray, but cocking their eyes on the chances and counting up their cash.' - Petronius

by somnambule on Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 04:56:24 AM PDT

•  More re: cortisol... (0+ / 0-)

The problem is that I underproduce both cortisol and DHEA (I have very little adrenal function), and also that neither of those levels is in balance with the other. Just boosting the cortisol would actually aggravate my overactive (but highly ineffective) immune system, which has happened before.

And even with careful monitoring, my system is so damaged that the wrong dosage could kill me. So the cure could potentially be lethal.

by somnambule on Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 05:01:22 AM PDT

•  Do you happen to know what caused the (1+ / 0-)
          somnambule

original poisoning?

Success is the child of audacity. --Disraeli

by ChuyHChrist on Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 05:19:29 AM PDT

•  Causes (1+ / 0-)
            ChuyHChrist

I've had this all my life, as addison's and diabetes runs in the family, but what seems to have caused the severe chemical poisoning and adrenal breakdown was a lack of food over the course of several years, which stressed my already lousy endocrine system, a lung infection caused by mold, combined with heavy roach spraying and a desk that was given to us that, it turned out, had been used in a meth lab.

I'd been deteriorating for years before then due to, again, not having access to food-- I was homeless before I got a job offer in the US, and my ex, knowing about my past, was more than happy to use food as a means of control. So before I came here I ate a couple times a week, and for about a year I got regular meals, and after that, my access to food was regulated.

Larime's never done that, but we hit rough financial times, food got scarce, and my weakened endocrine system just couldn't deal. My immune system went haywire and started attacking my whole body, my hair fell out, my chemical sensitivities became lethal, etc.

So it's a reasonably long answer, unfortunately.

by somnambule on Fri Apr 27, 2007 at 05:39:24 AM PDT

•  On the circumstances vs. the meds (2+ / 0-)
        somnambule, joynow

It's a pretty academic discussion when you can't afford medicine, but sometimes even when circumstances are authentically awful, since depression is a chemical condition, they can be helpful anyway.

When I was undergoing treatment for cancer I pursued a short (few months) course of antidepressants; they were not going to make the cancer go away, but damned if they didn't make my life more bearable. I feared that they would some how drain the essential, cutting-edge part of my personality but it wasn't like that at all--if anything, I felt as though I had been restored to myself.

I'm hanging this out here not so much for you, since you have made your decision about this, but for anyone else who happens to be reading.

Success is the child of audacity. --Disraeli