View Diary: How Late is Too Late? (305 comments)

•  Timeline: When They Re-Register as (D) (6+ / 0-)

They must support a successful funding bill that starts the re-deployment, and re-register as Democrats.

I don't care if they call for impeachment 20 minutes from now. They have to re-register as Democrats.

And be born-again Sermon-on-the-Mounters.

by Gooserock on Tue May 08, 2007 at 09:34:27 PM PDT

•  No, really, stay Republican (5+ / 0-)

vote for Giuliani, then Mitt as the sacrificial lamb in 2012, then Jeb Bush when he finally breaks through in 2016, then Jim Talent in 2020, then Kerry Wood in 2024.

I don't want Republicans crossing over and voting for Democrats, ever. And please, keep rolling your eyes and laughing when you hear someone mention global warming, even when your Disney cruise ship sails over the ancient North Pole.

I will never forgive the GOP. I am so tired of the "I voted for Bush twice, and I want him impeached" crowd. You want forgiveness? Raise your taxes to 100%, pay them for 35 years, then die before you retire.

Leave a cup of spit so we don't have to make the effort to actually spit on your grave.

Rest in Hell, conservatism.

klaatu barada nikto

by JohnGor0 on Tue May 08, 2007 at 09:51:26 PM PDT

•  Yes--I Mean Not Voting "As" Democrats (2+ / 0-)
        macdust, JohnGor0

I mean mean what I say about Sermon on the Mount: no public prayer, heal the sick, feed the hungry, negotiate and resolve issues with enemies, put a lid on great wealth, and beyond the religious theme, use government to make sure it gets done and stays done.

I definitely do not want anyone more Liebermanning or fake Greens etc.

by Gooserock on Tue May 08, 2007 at 10:14:27 PM PDT

•  Yeah, there is that feeling, too. (1+ / 0-)
        JohnGor0

We don't have time for short-term thinking.

by Compound F on Tue May 08, 2007 at 10:23:45 PM PDT

•  My concern, which I've had to repeat ... (8+ / 0-)

...a lot lately, is how many Republicans will move to the Democratic Party without really adopting Democratic Party values. Now, we could get into a big debate about that, with those of us on the far left of the party getting pissed at those in the middle and the other fringe. And I don't want to get into that at the moment. But while Republicans who have truly seen the light - like a Kevin Phillips, say - switch parties, hurrah. There are, however, too many who will jump ship and bring a lot of their Republican values with them, and start nudging the party even more to the right than it has already moved in the past 25 years.

So, when it comes time for withdrawal from Iraq, when it comes time for stem cell sanity, when it comes time to impeach Bush, Cheney and Rove, I welcome Republican votes. But, please, stay Republicans, eh?

•  Bad choices have consequences. (2+ / 0-)
          Rebecca, JohnGor0

Agreed.

Every Republican has already failed to put the nation's security, prosperity, and legal obligations above parochial interests. The time to convert has passed.

No one deserves credit for dropping Republican credentials now that the truth is out about their party. They are the party of shame. They made it shameful to speak the truth. The consequences to our nation have been harsh and perilous.

No one deserves points for belatedly opposing a pre-emptive war sold by fast-talking holdovers from Viet Nam, Nixon, and Iran-Contra.

No matter how naive a few Republicans might claim to have been, their lapses of judgment at moments of national crisis require us to replace them or, failing that, to disown them.

•  *applause* (3+ / 0-)
        Meteor Blades, Rebecca, JohnGor0

A-freakin'-men! These people want absolution for a gigantic problem they help create. This back-pedaling is laughable, except so many innocent lives are at risk.

I don't see anything being different in September that isn't in place now. The surge ain't working in our favor. We're losing more lives and killing more Iraqis and still have no clue what we're accomplishing.

This is beyond insane. Bush is sending all of us beyond the abyss.

-7.38, -5.23 One day we ALL will know the truth about the 2000 presidential election. God help us all.

by CocoaLove on Tue May 08, 2007 at 11:54:37 PM PDT

•  No, more. Much more. (6+ / 0-)

Universal Health Care, too.

Show me--PROVE TO ME--that you've really changed your ways.

At this point, pulling your fungus-riddled elephantine carcass out of the GOP's Mesopotamian Morass isn't enough, even if you slap a Blue Donkey sticker on and recant listening to Father CoughlinRush Limbaugh.

No, I want proof, in the hand.  If you're going to claim you saw the light on the way to Damascus, you neocon-fellating scumbag, I want to see absolute and unequivocal proof that you've abandoned persecuting Jesus and the poor, that you've stopped hating the middle class, that you're not going to vote for tax breaks and favors for the rich.

Only then.  Maybe.

"I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor." King George III

by ogre on Tue May 08, 2007 at 10:20:58 PM PDT