View Diary: 'We Want the Whole World To Know About Us' (213 comments)

•  come on anAm (2+ / 0-)
    litho, callmecassandra

Would you agree to you neighbors building plan without seeing it?

think about it... would you sign a legal document that your neighbor asked you to-

Now keep in mind your Neighbor

1. Built their Home on your grandfathers Farm
    1. calls you a squatter
    1. controls weather you feed you children or not

The other fact your Neighbor home is a Fortress, you can see it from every square foot of your small plot of land~ and he comes to you and says sign this, Say that you recognize my Fortress?

Now wouldn't you think: Is this a trap, he knows I  see his fortress... what dose he want?

IMHO Israel needs to take a step showing good faith-

• Define their Border
    • Recognize a PA state

both sides need to give-

"people ignorant of one another's existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same" George Orwell~1984

by npbeachfun on Sat May 12, 2007 at 01:28:57 PM PDT

•  Rigor Mortis has the sense of (1+ / 0-)
      npbeachfun

what I was trying to say. In no way am I suggesting that anyone need agree to Israel's final borders prior to the negotiation of an end-of-conflict peace settlement. That said, announcing a claim to Haifa, Akko, and Jaffa surely would be either a gross misjudgment or an act of bad faith.

Arafat and the PLO under his leadership did recognize Israel. The sky did not fall. Indeed, that recognition was a prerequisite to the creation of the Palestinian Authority.

The scenario I have in mind is, IMHO, far from signing off on a neighbor's building plan. It's rather something like the Hamas-led PA stating:

• As the successor administration to  the previous Fatah-led Palestinian Administration government and cabinet, we affirm the binding nature of all prior agreements, including the recognition of Israel.

• We likewise insist that Israel abide by the letter and spirit of its obligations under those agreements, including: [let Hamas spell out what it particularly wants to emphasize].
      • We emphasize that our recognition of Israel does not mean that we recognize any Israeli right to territory beyond the Green Line. Final borders must be the result of mutual agreement with the starting point the borders immediately preceding the June 1967 war.

Al Gore should be president.

by another American on Sat May 12, 2007 at 02:41:23 PM PDT

•  I agree with what you outline- (0+ / 0-)

I also think that Israel Should Recognize a Palestinian State. Something they have never done.

As to the right of return- I think that is an issue that is left out of the debate/agreement. IMHO it would be better left to the Palestinian court- Once There is a Palestinian.

As someone that owns a home in Akka/Akko this debate is like a circle. That why I think it should be a class action case. I will also say, the woman I bought my home from had no family in Israel they were in the OT.

I have become friendly with with her family and the man she was to marry before the war '47 he lives in France. If they ever have a right to become Israeli I would sell my home to them at the same price I paid for it- because I think it is the right thing to do. Also because she wanted them to have it.

by npbeachfun on Sat May 12, 2007 at 08:55:28 PM PDT

•  It won't be an end-of-conflict settlement, (0+ / 0-)

nor IMHO will most Israelis agree to a deal including the kind of territorial compromise and withdrawal needed, unless the deal settles all Palestinian claims against Israel, leaving no pretext for renewing the conflict.

That said, I can imagine an agreement that

• limited realization of any Palestinian return to the new state of Palestine;

• created an internationally-funded, including by Israel, agency to compensate refugees; and

• included an administrative-legal process for individual claimants vis-a-vis that agency.

Al Gore should be president.

by another American on Sun May 13, 2007 at 04:12:24 AM PDT

•  Israel ask to much (0+ / 0-)

I think we only have a few more days so Im going to lay it out. My background is important only to help you understand me:This are some of the places I have covered as a war correspondent: Bosnia, Croatia, Algeria, Somalia, South Africa, Afghanistan, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Congo, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Yugoslavia, Ukraine, Liberia

Here are my fears for the country we both love-

The Wall brought about rockets just as I feared, tunnels will bring in bombers: Do to the iniquities in schools, separation of families (central to Islam) watching or hearing about family members suffering will lead to Israeli-Arabs to act.

Israel will react with swift collective punishment- driving a wedge further between their two separate citizens. Until Israeli Jews want to push Israeli-Arabs out, Countless Palestinian will die, until there cry’s are heard... I have no Idea how long the world will watch and do nothing, but when they do act (and they will)

Israeli wall will fall- and with it the Jewish State. It will resemble South Africa. Trials will be held for war crimes...

Now, here is the part that keeps me up at night. Because Israel and Jewish have almost become one word the Blow Back to Jews world wide will be a horror... the sight of which I don’t think it can even be imagined.

...........

by npbeachfun on Sun May 13, 2007 at 06:38:25 AM PDT

•  Thank you. n/t (1+ / 0-)
      npbeachfun

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world She didn't exist.

by callmecassandra on Sat May 12, 2007 at 04:13:00 PM PDT