View Diary: Nablus Invasion II: Human Shields and Medical Obstruction (originally written March 7, 2007) (61 comments)

•  I consider this a personal attack. (5+ / 0-)

The Palestinian stories need to be told by American Arabs.

It's absolutely outrageous to try and silence them.

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92

by mattes on Sat May 12, 2007 at 11:50:31 AM PDT

•  Why is that (0+ / 0-)

...a personal attack? I consider you one of the more fair pro-Ps, so I'd ask that you explain that, simply because I don't agree at all.

Maybe I'm having a mental blockage today, but I genuinely don't get it. What's personal about what I said, and what's, for that matter, an attack?

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:09:10 PM PDT

•  OK.....if you can see this, things could (4+ / 0-)

get alot better here.

You can argue with facts, or even with your opinions on  the diary, but when you write a comment "about" the author instead of the content of the diary, its personal.

You can say..."I disagree with the content, and here is why:....". you can say "This is wrong, and this is why:...."

But don't make it personal. This is what creates the problems we get into.

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92

by mattes on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:28:00 PM PDT

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
          mattes

...I see your point, but I made a completely value-neutral observation about the fact that this is another new diarist. It really wasn't intended as a personal attack, just an observation.

I do think tempers are a little frayed right about now, however. People are getting a little testy, it seems, and I know I'm still irritated by Litho's diary hijack. Maybe time to step away from the computer.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:49:22 PM PDT

•  What the hell? (5+ / 0-)

Does this kind of crap happen all the time around here?

Somebody writes a diary about things we all need to know about, and these same people show up and trash it with personal attacks that don't have a damn thing to do with what the diary says.

Can't people follow the links?  Can't they see that this isn't a troll?  Look at her website!  And the photos there - I wish she'd post some of them here.

Is this what Kos is all about - a bunch of clowns trying to keep people from hearing the truth?  It makes me sick.  I don't think they even read what she wrote.

•  User #122903 (0+ / 0-)

...let me suggest that you probably aren't as familiar with the history of these diaries as more established members are. There is a problem of sockpuppetry here, which recently seems to have become more acute.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:25:50 PM PDT

•  Maybe not (4+ / 0-)

but I saw this same thing happening the other day, on a different diary - and I see it happening here today, and still another diary, and I sure as hell looks like a pattern of a few people trying to shut the diarists up when they write about the problems of the Palestinians.

•  You've been here for five days (1+ / 0-)
            Bouwerie Boy

...that's really not enough time to see patterns. This is a very heated debate, to be sure, and the entire subject may be restricted or banned outright; there's a reason for that.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:36:18 PM PDT

•  Is that right new user 122903? n/t (1+ / 0-)
            MBNYC

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." ~ Diderot

by Bouwerie Boy on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:59:53 PM PDT

•  What the hell? (0+ / 0-)

Just because I'm new here I don't get to state my opinions?

OK, so I see things are going on around here that maybe a new person might not know about, but I'll tell you this, if just in the 5 days I've been here I can see the same shit going on in three or four different diaries, and the same people doing it, and the same people recommending the same kind of comments, then yeah, I'd call that a pattern.

•  So anyone new is guilty of (4+ / 0-)

sockpuppetry? How will we ever get new writers?

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92

by mattes on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:29:16 PM PDT

•  Blame (0+ / 0-)

You-Know-Who. Many or most new Israel-critical posters are in fact sockpuppets, mattes, like Ben Heine yesterday posting as an Italian architect, of all the ridiculous things.

There's not much doubt in my mind that there's an ongoing effort, inspired by you-know-who, to bring critics of Israel to this site. That places a burden on the existing ones, to be sure, but nobody likes this situation.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 12:41:20 PM PDT

•  Like hell you don't. (3+ / 0-)

Between the snide comments and the diary hijacking, you really seem to be hating the current situation.

•  Oh, you mean (0+ / 0-)

...like Litho hijacked my most recent diary, the one I wrote about how to avoid an I/P diary ban on this site?

But thank you for your generous sentiments.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 01:19:18 PM PDT

•  I don't know what to tell you....I was taught (2+ / 0-)
              anonymousredvest18, Bouwerie Boy

"innocent till proven guilty". And I detest collective punishment. Punishing the innocent. Making more enemies in the long run, exactly what is happening in Iraq.

When and if Palestine is ever freed, the burden will be on the Palestinians to forgive the occupation. At least let them have their voices now.

I was going to wait to write a diary on DNA testing, but I'll admit something personal today. I have admitted linage from Sephardic Jews possibly on both sides of my family, and from mtDNA testing, I find I am Haplogroup A, which is Native American. Even though I just found all this out recently, I do feel alittle justified being able to speak about occupation and subjugation. Lucky it never effected my life too much. But it's hard not to have compassion for the victims of man's aggressive tendencies. People should be given opportunities to evolve beyond the life of warfare.

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92

by mattes on Sat May 12, 2007 at 01:05:38 PM PDT

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
                mattes

...re: Trollgald, what can I say, it is what it is, and it's nobody's fault but his own. Funny thing is, you only see the supporters of Israel writing diaries on maintaining the discourse, which I think reflects well on us. I mean, I justified Jon the Antizionist Jew (and even Litho), neither of whom I'm all too fond of, and even Umkahlil. I think there's a good-faith effort here, and I think we'll get things to come out right.

Cool about being native American - I'm English and German, so the blood of the oppressors runs in my veins :-) You should write about that, I'd be totally interested.

"I have not been so cowardly as to keep silent". - Alexis de Tocqueville

by MBNYC on Sat May 12, 2007 at 01:25:59 PM PDT

•  Mattes, do remember how Mel Brooks (2+ / 0-)
                mattes, MBNYC

depicted the Indians in his film Blazing Saddles? They all spoke yiddish. Given your DNA discovery, maybe Brooks was onto something :-) I will be looking forward to your diary on this. Very cool.

by Bouwerie Boy on Sat May 12, 2007 at 02:44:46 PM PDT

•  Did you see this: (1+ / 0-)
                  Bouwerie Boy

It was interesting. Vatican is releasing alot of information on the Inquisition. Including names of people prosecuted at the time. Four of my grandparent's surnames are on the list. And of course there is word of mouth on my father's side. I am waiting for my father to do his y-dna test, that will tell alot.

It's addicting....the big mystery of our heritages.

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92

by mattes on Sat May 12, 2007 at 02:55:04 PM PDT

•  Were your people in Spain at that time or (0+ / 0-)

elsewhere? I have not seen seen that site but I will certainly check it out. Did you happen to catch the PBS special this week on the secret files? A little too heavy on production values and a bit light on the history for my taste but pretty interesting none the less.

by Bouwerie Boy on Sat May 12, 2007 at 04:58:22 PM PDT

•  I don't know...a cousin and myself (1+ / 0-)
                      Bouwerie Boy

are trying to piece the history together on my dad's side. No one seems able to remember much. One of my great grandfather's family had a large land grant from Spain, I suspect they were conversos.

The article I linked to talked about the PBS special, I would have wanted more history, vs. dramatized history, too.

I am getting ahead of myself. but here is a good site to test dna:

I used:

But I think I am switching to familytree.

All I can say...is...it's cool.

Either you are for the status quo, or you're not. -7.00, -2.92