View Diary: IMPEACH: The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves... (235 comments)

•  yes (2+ / 0-)
    scrutinizer, ablington

you have the angels on your side. Great. Doesn't mean a thing if you can't show how to get it done. And no one has so far.

I want to win. You want to beat him, and that's a problem for me, because I want to win. -The West Wing

by AnnArborBlue on Sun May 13, 2007 at 01:43:36 PM PDT

•  The way to get it done (6+ / 0-)

is poular groundswell, and putting people in an ethical position.
      You are giving them an out. Al From loves you.
      Go away.

Magic 95.5 (800)296-9267 And I'da gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

by kestrel9000 on Sun May 13, 2007 at 01:45:13 PM PDT

•  As I've been told so very many times (0+ / 0-)

you're dealing with a group of people who don't give a damn about ethics. Who care about party more than country. And you need 16 of them to decide that cutting off their nose to spite their face is the best move for their party.

by AnnArborBlue on Sun May 13, 2007 at 01:47:38 PM PDT

•  And your suggetion is to do nothing? (6+ / 0-)

Is that OK with you or should we TRY to do something about it?

•  If we do nothing (6+ / 0-)

we send the message to future administrations that raping the Constitution is just fine.  We have to impeach, or at least try as hard as we can.  Win or lose, doing nothing would be the greater loss.

•  State motto of Vermont: (3+ / 0-)
              Debbie in ME, blueoasis, 4Freedom

(alternate version)
              Yep! :)

by kestrel9000 on Sun May 13, 2007 at 02:14:19 PM PDT

•  You mentioned Vermont - In Vermont yesterday: (1+ / 0-)
                ablington

an impeachment rally attended by 250+ voters and Vermont's lone Congressman, as I diaried yesterday.

The AP picked up the story and it was on line within minutes after I landed at home. According to the event's co-sponsors, they are coordinating with impeachment initiatives in 19 other states.

Congressman Welch said he was elected to end Iraq, and he doesn't yet believe the impeachment movement strong enough to back personally, but he encouraged those of us who want impeachment to continue our efforts.

A friend and fellow dkos poster who has been on the impeachment movement from day one said that six months ago this event was inconceivable. She thought for a moment and said that it was highly unlikely even a month ago.

I'm a reader and researcher and digger. Though I'm not the best writer/reporter, I read far and wide and draw conclusions from reading and conversations from all over the country, and my conclusion is that the country is pissed and ready for change. If voters don't see movement very soon on Iraq, the impeachment momentum will continue to grow and gain traction.

Impeachment is already a direct desire of close to half of the American electorate. When this gets translated into pressure on Congress from all of us interested in moving impeachment forward, the support will either be bipartisan in Congress or there will be an even bigger decimation of Republican ranks in '08 than is occurring at present.

By writing LTEs, making the calls and doing the emails and participating in local politics, I'm doing what I can to put belief into practice.

A free press can, of course, be good or bad, but, most certainly without freedom, the press will never be anything but bad. Albert Camus

by 4Freedom on Sun May 13, 2007 at 07:58:28 PM PDT

•  my suggestion is to do things (1+ / 0-)
            DiesIrae

that stand a chance at actually getting done. Reaffirm the commitment to FISA. Ban torture and extend in clear legislative terms the provisions of the Geneva Conventions to those at GITMO, establish benchmarks for Iraq. etc.

by AnnArborBlue on Sun May 13, 2007 at 01:53:22 PM PDT

•  You'l pardon me (6+ / 0-)

if I don't give up.
          You will find me most intransigent on this issue.
          No slack for Bu$hco.
          I cut no slack to child molesters or crack dealers either.

by kestrel9000 on Sun May 13, 2007 at 01:49:52 PM PDT

•  True. (2+ / 0-)
          Debbie in ME, blueoasis

but let's say they start getting letters from their constituents urging impeachment.  A LOT of letters.

They don't care about ethics, but they DO care about getting reelected.

More in another post

To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowed in prayer - Gandhi

by plf515 on Sun May 13, 2007 at 02:02:27 PM PDT

•  If they don't care about ethics (3+ / 0-)
            Debbie in ME, blueoasis, rogerdaddy

but do care about getting reelected, then maybe we need to get the fuck rid of em.
            Ya think?

by kestrel9000 on Sun May 13, 2007 at 02:04:00 PM PDT

•  here's my point (0+ / 0-)

Nixon's resignation killed the Republican party. Absolutely freaking destroyed it for years. Republicans aren't stupid. Convicting President Bush is saying "you're right, the Republican Party is a Party of criminals". That sure as hell isn't going to help anyone get elected. It'll probably hurt a lot more than what they're doing now; holding ranks and pretending Democrats hate America.

by AnnArborBlue on Sun May 13, 2007 at 02:05:27 PM PDT

•  Uhm (0+ / 0-)

How do you know that they wouldn't have lost just as big if Nixon had stayed in office?

See that's where folks here disagree with you. You think the Republicans lost big in 1974 because of the appearance of admission of Nixon's guilt. We think the Republicans lost big in 1974 because of Nixon's guilt.

Nice try, no cigar.

Damn George Bush! Damn everyone that won't damn George Bush! Damn every one that won't put lights in his window and sit up all night damning George Bush!

by brainwave on Sun May 13, 2007 at 04:24:17 PM PDT

• Education (18)
  • Environment (18)
  • Media (16)
  • Freddie Gray (16)
  • Barack Obama (16)
  • Racism (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site