View Diary: Flu Stories: HHS Wants To Hear From You About Panflu Prep (52 comments)

•  If you attend to mending what is real (0+ / 0-)

The country is not healthy NOW. Doctors are not handling real health crises now. If you attend to mending real problems, rather than planning triage for what does not exist - and never may - you will have my respect.
    This is a chimera.

•  actually, (0+ / 0-)

it's a lack of understanding on your part... a lack of imagination, a lack of knowledge and a rather stubborn resistance to understanding what is 'real', based on your own preconceived misconceptions.

The public health world disagrees with you, and with good reason. They realize that not only is the need for preparations necessary, but that the public has not done so and the health infrastructure is poorly prepared for public health emergencies.

That's what's 'real'. Emergencies happen. So do pandemics. The probability of one happening is 100%. What's unclear is when, which virus and how bad it will be.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat May 19, 2007 at 08:54:39 PM PDT

•  I have not had flu in decades (0+ / 0-)

What you call real I think is almost purely theoretical.
        I have not had influenza or even a mild cold in more than a decade - possibly longer. The reason for this is not that that I have the flu shot - rather, because I have a great immune system, due to excellent nutrition  (both supplements and food).
        Of course the public health world disagrees with me. Their jobs depend on people not knowing the truth about their immune systems. Our city nutritionist tells me she is treated with less respect than nurses are by doctors and officials.
        It looks as if medicine is now the art of looking for trouble, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
        NOLA happened because public officials lied to citizens. Go to the Ninth Ward in New Orleans and help at their clinic if you want to do something real.

•  oh please (0+ / 0-)

A medical conspiracy, huh? Sounds to me like you're saying 'because I'm interested in nutrition, nobody else should be interested in pandemic preparations'. There are many who think that the two subjects are perfectly compatible.

In the meantime:

Public-health officials at the state and federal levels have been wise to begin preparations for a worldwide flu outbreak, one of the federal government's top medical advisers said Friday during a visit to Springfield.

"It's absolutely, positively going to happen - a pandemic of influenza," said Dr. Gregory Poland, director of the vaccine research group at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

"But here's the dilemma: No one knows when, we don't know with what virus, and we don't know how severe it will be."

NOLA happened because there weren't enough people who understood the importance of prevention. There was always some clown who says "forget about repairing the levees, and forget about cat 5 hurricanes. That's a chimera. Hasn't happened in my lifetime." We know the outcome of that kind of thinking.

by Greg Dworkin on Sat May 19, 2007 at 09:27:55 PM PDT

•  Alleviation of the suffering of real Americans (0+ / 0-)

NOLA happened because officials lied, because the levees were built short, and because notification was not just not given in time - it was blocked.

I do not trust medical "authorities" and public health officials who enforce lock-step "standard practice", but that does not mean that I believe in conspiracies. I am tired of doctors who have forgotten the Primum and "Let your food be your medicine".

I am sorry that you take more interest in disaster scenarios no one knows when than in alleviation of the suffering of real Americans now.

•  all opinionated posts (0+ / 0-)

not one frickin' link posted by you. Did you click on any of ones I provided?

Enough said. Ranting against "authorities" is a misguided mission.

aka quality control and performance improvement. You lost me there if that's what you believe. Here's what I believe:

"In God we trust, all others bring data."

Dr. W. Edwards Deming 1900-1993, American Statistician

-- Framed plaque from the '60s, hanging in the Mission Evaluation Room at Johnson Space Center, downstairs from Mission Control.

Thanks for stopping by.

PS the artwork is great!! (click the links in Tigana's sig).

by Greg Dworkin on Sun May 20, 2007 at 06:33:07 AM PDT

•  America is sick *now* (0+ / 0-)

I clicked on the links you provided. I read Bellamy's EREWHON at my grandmother's knee, so I recognize a utopian fantasy when I see one.

Position papers and speculation are NOT data.

To quickly state the obvious (I can supply data at length):
                The medical system in America is sick now. America is sick now. When public health officials and their affilates and colleagues work on real problems and better the quality of life of Americans who need help now, they'll have my admiration.

•  yes, that's true (1+ / 0-)
                  Tigana

America does have major medical issues now. That's so, but actually addressing panflu prep also addresses some (not all) of America's medical problems.

if it makes you happier to address America's medical problems so that panflu can be addressed properly, it brings you to the same place.

Having a Problem A, in other words, does not preclude you from having another Problem B. Now, any solution that helps both is worth pursuing.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun May 20, 2007 at 06:11:32 PM PDT

•  Being on dKos puts you in a unique position (0+ / 0-)

Being on dKos puts you in a unique position to advocate for others and to help them.

•  indeed (0+ / 0-)

and there's a major health component planned for yearly Kos that I am involved in, bigger than just panflu.

But this panflu stuff is really unique in its own right. this virus scares infectious disease people like no other. memories are short--- the last pandemic was 1968 and it was very mild. Today, it would overwhelm our system and shut down the JIT economy.

And then there was 1918...

I say again, address panflu and you also are forced to address the bigger health system. There's no way to deal with a pandemic otherwise.

by Greg Dworkin on Mon May 21, 2007 at 04:55:26 AM PDT

•  click on (0+ / 0-)

nyceve and read her diaries for more.

by Greg Dworkin on Mon May 21, 2007 at 04:56:05 AM PDT