View Diary: How I learned to stop being angry (309 comments)

•  without hope no one would do anything... (4+ / 0-)
    cotterperson, opinionated, mem, Bob Guyer

... I skimmed over the Orion article and disagree with the environmentalist who says that once you give up "hope" you can start taking things into your own hands.  I think he has chosen the wrong word there.  Relying on others (govt, God, whatever) to effect change isn't "hope," it is complacency.  "Hope" is what gets us all out of bed in the morning:  hope that making breakfast for the kids matters to them, that love matters; hope that something good will happen today; hope that our work matters to someone somewhere; hope that our lives have meaning.

I think things are FUBAR right now, and not just in this country.  However, this is the worst of it, the nadir before the Big Shift to a different kind of human culture and human consciousness.  You know what I'm talking about, and many of you will scoff and roll your eyes, but spiritual teachers have been speaking of this shift for a long time and guess what?  It is happening now!  By 2012 the worst of the chaos and destruction that marks the transition will be over and by 2019 everyone will be able to notice a distinct improvement in life on planet Earth.  So say the spiritual teachers to whom I turn to for advice and wisdom.  Take it or leave it.

On the material plane the shift will be marked by transition from fossil fuels to renewables (we are being forced, as a civilization, to make this change) and with it a new relationship with the natural environment and a new kind of international politics.

Will all animal species survive the shift?  Probably not.  Yet, I remind you all that for many generations it was accepted fact that the Eastern mountain lion was extinct.  And then recently, incontrovertable evidence (such as multiple sitings and analysis of scat) shows that mountain lions have made comeback in New Hampshire and Maine.  Mother Nature may be more resilient than we think.

I think that the next ten years will be intense as the transnational corporations continue their progress toward oblivian and we flail around in their massive wake.  But they really are the Titanics of our age:  massive and invincible-seeming, but ultimately unsustainable.  Like the dinosaurs, they will evolve (into lighter beings such as birds) or die off.

There are huge forces at work, much bigger than any political party.  Gore is clearly seeing a panoramic view and I hope he is the one to lead us through this time.

Becoming empowered as individuals is an excellent idea, rather than giving up our power to political leaders in the hope that they will do the right thing and save us.  On this much, I totally agree with this diary.  Change, like charity, begins at home. But I'm not eager to throw "hope" out altogether.

But I do agree that we should not wait around for the Democrats to save us. That is not going to happen.  We need to make choices here and now, as individuals, that will help create the kind of world we want to live in.  Political leadership would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

May all beings be free from fear.

by shakti on Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:39:40 AM PDT

•  It's like the tension building on a fault (1+ / 0-)
      shakti

before an earthquake, change is coming, it's huge and we are all feeling it in our own way. I don't know where it is going but we all should feel complete permission to do what we know will help. Some will work within existing structures, some will create new structures, some will build community, some will go it alone, but a change is coming.

We will be answering the question of how do we live with each other and within nature now that we have so much potential for extra-biological (power outside our own biology) power. Evolution hasn't prepared us for managing this. Our religious traditions have not prepared us for managing this. Capitalism is not going to work as a way for managing this. Our ability to achieve extra-biological power will not go away unless we do. So something has got to change in a big way.

Our economy sucks up our environment, people, and government. Redesign it at Beyond Political Center

by Bob Guyer on Fri May 25, 2007 at 08:04:21 AM PDT

•  exactly ... although I think the shift is good .. (0+ / 0-)

... so I am not afraid.  Much.  Mostly, I'm hopeful about the new era that I think will be in evidence by about 2020.

I'm not sure what you mean by "extra-biological power."  Are you referring to fossil fuels?  Symbolically, the importance of the shift from fossil fuels (energy created by dead plants and animals) to renewables (energy created directly from sun, wind, water, etc.) is that the former creates a dense civilization, the latter a lighter one.  In other words, if a person eats only fruits and vegetables, their energy will be lighter than someone who eats only meat.  Our fossil fuel consuming civilization is like a carnivore, while a culture that gets its energy directly from the sun is a much lighter kind of entity.

We are what we eat, both as individuals and as a collective.  We are approaching the end of the fossil fuel "eating" civilization, and something new is about to emerge.  I'm looking forward to it, and anticipating it however I can.

Put in political terms, the Republicans are clearly the party that resists this shift, the reactionaries.  The Democrats are a little better, but not yet truly progressive.  We'll see.

May all beings be free from fear.

by shakti on Fri May 25, 2007 at 09:13:05 AM PDT

•  I feel, hope, intuit, the change as positive (0+ / 0-)

but really have to suspend the notion that I can know the future and how it will be. I think that we will proceed in the direction of living lighter fuel and diet wise, hopefully lighter on all living things.

What I mean by extra-biological power is that we are the only creatures that have managed to create and use power that is not coming from our biology directly. We have magnified our power, using energy and technical mechanics, and we are having an extraordinarily large impact on the rest of the living world as a result. Biological evolution without the added power we have harnessed works reasonably as organisms cooperate and compete with the network of life which enforces constraints on how far each individual and species can expand its use of the whole. Human development of force outside the biological has upset that balance and we collectively have not come to terms with that fact and impose our own constraints and serve the totality of life with our extra-biological power, instead of just following the biological/evolutionary imperative of grow/expand.

by Bob Guyer on Fri May 25, 2007 at 09:42:50 AM PDT

•  yeah, that's why we must become more conscious (1+ / 0-)
            Bob Guyer

As soon as humans figured out how to use fire as a tool, we began on the road to dominance.  Several millenia later, we now have rocket ships and nukes and oil tankers etc., but are still making choices based on limbic-system arousal.

Gore's new book is a kind of wake up call to us all to stop responding from the primitive limbic-system (fight or flight) and start using more of our neocortex (higher reasoning).

So, this is it:  the big evolutionary leap in consciousness that will make or break the human race.

May all beings be free from fear.

by shakti on Fri May 25, 2007 at 09:59:07 AM PDT

•  Yep, it's all about consciousnes, I hope he runs (0+ / 0-)

I tried to get tickets when he came through northern California on his book tour but was too late. I haven't gotten his book yet. Sounds like you liked his new book I should get it sooner than later and make time to read it. It is a race between time and growing the scope of our consciousness individually and collectively on huge scale.

by Bob Guyer on Fri May 25, 2007 at 11:16:13 AM PDT