View Diary: Marines investigates Iraq vet for wearing cammos at protest (286 comments)

•  He was only "wearing" fatigues? (12+ / 0-)

Are honorably discharged soldiers to never where their "REAL" fatiques while anyone else, can pick them up at any "army supply" outlet and wear them?  This military mom is confused!

•  "wear" not "where"! (7+ / 0-)

My preview skills go to hell when I am pissed off!

•  He wasnt out of the military yet (0+ / 0-)

Thats their point.  He had received his discharge but wasn't yet completely out.  So he still had rules to follow and now their talking about revoking his discharge.  Hell, if they can bring them back after they are out under some vague military spec on a recruitment form they can get them anytime they want.  However, personally, I'm tired of seeing troops used as backdrops and if they push this one I would make sure that the next time they are used at a political event (behind the prez or otherwise) the names of the soldiers should be taken and a suggestion that they be treated the same.  Not for the purpose of punishing them but to make a point, and it would have to be made.  Thats what they count on, these guys get punished but no one would dare attack someone in uniform standing up as a prop in a pro war situation.  If only to get these guys some relief and to make a point that they shouldn't be used as backdrops.  I would hope that particular point would be brought up now to save these guys.

I'm a Second Amendment Liberal...and anyone that isn't has a pre-Bush mentality. It can happen here.

by jrflorida on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 01:24:37 PM PDT

•  If this guy needs a legal defense (8+ / 0-)

fund I will certainly contribute. I am a vet from the VN era and this is pissing me off big time. Just who the fuck do these chicken hawks think they are. They are the ones that hate the America I defended while they sat on the god damned asses when they could have helped.

Not a day goes by where I can't be found even more disgusted with this administration of thieves and liars.

•  Plain fatiques, no insignia? (3+ / 0-)

It is not like he was running around in his full dress uniform, or even his regular gear.  The military would be smart to put an immediate stop to this "shit" investigation or they will have to investigate AWOL "Chimpy McFlightsuit",  corrupt "Chickenhawk Cheney" and all of the other criminal neocons that have used our "REAL" military for political photo-op backdrops!  As this issue has pissed off Markos, it will enrage other retired military and it will especially enrage our active military that have been used as photo-ops for our corrupt/criminal administration.

•  Plain fatigues somewhat (3+ / 0-)

Marine fatigues have the Marine insignia sewn in.  Its apparently not legal for civilians to have them.  Now as I read this it makes more sense that the guy was in the ready reserve.  I think its all BS and that this could blow up in their face if they push it, but its going to take people supporting him and not allowing the military to come crushing down on him all by himself.  As he has stood up in the past others must stand with him now.

by jrflorida on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 01:46:28 PM PDT

•  not suppose to be able to buy them rather (2+ / 0-)
            cdreid, mjd in florida

I don't know how it can be illegal to own.  I have ex marine friends that have gone out of their way to obtain the new digital marine camo.  I don't know the reason, they just want it.  Its not easy to find in surplus stores.  I have seen some for sale online and very little (fi tis real) in stores.

by jrflorida on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 01:48:23 PM PDT

•  Maybe " Kossaks" will have a (3+ / 0-)
              cdreid, cybo, rogerdaddy

better understanding of why our military doesn't speak out.  They are having their correspondence monitored, their internet access limited and also their "free" speech removed!  They know that they are dying and being wounded for Cheneys no-bid 70% "Oil Bill" in Iraq and they also, know that the Iraqis will never sign it. (My son is a National Guard Staff Sgt.)

•  "Sewn in"? (3+ / 0-)
            mjd in florida, StrayCat, rogerdaddy

Marine insignia can be removed. My own father has done it. It's perfectly appropriate for civilian wear once that is done. See my comment above.

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war. --Albert Einstein

by Sharoney on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 01:59:04 PM PDT

•  I wonder if these folks are also being (1+ / 0-)
        StrayCat

prosecuted?

I bet not. The military really has no right to rail that these guys are not obeying the rules when time and time again they have allowed the pro war/GOP to use the troops as props for policy.

•  He was out of the military, Honorably discharged. (2+ / 0-)
        cdreid, mjd in florida

Thr IRR is only a name and a list.  No one in the IRR is in the Armed Services, unless they are seperately in the Guard or Reserve.  This is a real reach by a government that is, more and more swiftly, losing it.

Patriotism may be the last refuge of scoundrels, but religion is assuredly the first.

by StrayCat on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 03:58:41 PM PDT

•  If he's got a copy of his original DD214 (1+ / 0-)
        mjd in florida

showing his honorable discharge, then fuck 'em if they recall him just to spank him over this.  If his negative DD214 ever impacts his life, he can simply show the original and explain the partisan bullshit that resulted in the new one.

As a person who has worked in Human Resources, I can say that this issue would not affect my hiring decision if he was otherwise qualified.

The apocalypse will require substantial revision of all zoning ordinances. - Zashvill -6.25 -5.69

by Heiuan on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 04:58:06 PM PDT

•  but he is also a disabled vet (2+ / 0-)
          mjd in florida, Neon Mama

with PTSD, as I understand it.  The downgrade could make him ineligible for VA benefits and compensation.  Compensation is taxfree and life-long as well as treatment and medication.

So it is pretty serious.

Sapere Aude! [dare to know] "Have courage to use your own understanding!"--that is the motto of enlightenment. - I. Kant

by Jeffersonian Democrat on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 12:20:32 AM PDT

•  That would most definitely (0+ / 0-)

prove a big downside, however, he would be able to appeal the new discharge.  Especially if he has a diagnosis of PTSD.  The appeals process can take quite a while, unfortunately.  the one good thing about that is by the time he got his hearing, a Democrat is going to be sitting in the White House.

by Heiuan on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 09:23:39 AM PDT

•  It's like how wearing a shirt with (7+ / 0-)

an American flag sewn on it was disrespectful -- if you were a hippie, that is.

Once country music wingnuts began wearing the flag as clothing, suddenly it was okey-dokey, patriotic even.

More of the same hypocrisy as always.

You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war. --Albert Einstein

by Sharoney on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 01:56:49 PM PDT

•  I used to have a pair of jeans (0+ / 0-)

with a flag patch. The Brits have used their flag in clothing for a long time, and it was big in the 60s, we grabbed on to that idea and made it our own. I wore my patch as part of the uniform, if you will, not out of disrespect.

Shut it down is so yesterday. Now it's time to FIRE IT UP!

by high uintas on Sat Jun 02, 2007 at 02:20:48 PM PDT