View Diary: I'm Plotting to Blow Up LAX (265 comments)

•  Bush lies (15+ / 0-)

When Bush Jr had the Texas death chamber going full time under the direction of sick freak, Abu Gonzales, one of the men Bush put to death was found by DNA evidence afterwards to have been inocent. When asked about it, Bush replied, "Oh, well he was also guilty of 'other things'". When asked by Diane Sawyer about Saddam not having WMDs, Bush replied, "Oh, well he had the desire to have them". It doesn't seem to matter much to Junior whether folks are really guilty of the things he accuses them of or not.

"Victory means exit strategy and it's important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is." --GW Bush, Houston Chronicle on April 9, 1999

by William Domingo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 01:52:56 PM PDT

•  OOO!!! OOOO!!! (7+ / 0-)

Link? PLEASE?
      I'll take that shit straight to another thread on another blog where some wingnut lawyer is claiming that's never happened anywhere.

Magic 95.5 (800)296-9267 And I'da gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids.

by kestrel9000 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 01:54:38 PM PDT

•  Link (5+ / 0-)

I'll try to find it. He said that on TV while walking past reporters during the 2000 campaign. I've always had a hard time finding stuff on the web these people said in passing in audio and must not have been written down. Another example was a month or so before the start of the Iraq war, Condi Rice said right on TV, "Any country who doesn't join us will not get a future piece of Iraq's oil". I heard it with my own ears, and have been looking for it, but can't find a record of it anywhere. I'll look for that other one though. Sometimes to find things on Google, for "key-words" you have to "think outside the box".

by William Domingo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 02:06:54 PM PDT

•  Not just 1...perhaps 43 innocent people??? (12+ / 0-)

It's an old story but, you know how the media is... This got buried and yawn it's about poor people, not "real" people....

Rolling Stone Jul 06, 2000

James Beathard and Gene Hathorn worked together as orderlies at a state mental hospital in Rusk, Texas. On the night of October 9th, 1984, they drove out to a mobile home that belonged to Hathorn's family. Hathorn's father, stepmother and fourteen-year-old half brother were killed. Hathorn had a history of violence that included kidnapping and robbery. Beathard had no record.

Beathard was tried first, and Hathorn was the star witness against him. Beathard was sent to death row for killing Hathorn's half brother, while Hathorn took the rap for the other two murders. Soon after Hathorn was convicted, he recanted his earlier testimony against Beathard. At one point, he even said that Beathard was completely innocent. Beathard was executed on December 9th, 1999.

In Texas, it's often said, "If you don't have the capital, you get the punishment." James Beathard is a case in point. At the time he was tried, his court-appointed lawyer, Hulon Brown, was also representing Hathorn on separate criminal charges pending against him. Because of Brown's conflict, he didn't try to interview Hathorn or to negotiate a deal for immunity or a reduced sentence for Beathard. Brown later admitted in a sworn affidavit that his conflict of interest affected his performance on Beathard's behalf, but the state appeals court declined to revisit the case.

In his autobiography, A Charge to Keep, Bush wrote, "Some advocates of life will challenge why I oppose abortion yet support the death penalty; to me it's the difference between innocence and guilt." But in the many cases like that of James Beathard, guilt seems far from certain. A Chicago Tribune investigation found that forty-three of the people executed under Bush had a lawyer who "had been or was later disbarred, suspended or otherwise sanctioned." Lawyers in Texas are not inherently less capable - horror stories abound because Texas is one of only a few states with no statewide public defender's office to provide trained, salaried lawyers. Prosecutors in death-penalty cases routinely outspend court-appointed attorneys by twenty to one. "Texas is an aberration," says Austin defense lawyer Raoul Schonemann, "because the state puts not a penny into providing representation for indigent defendants."

Compassionate Conservatism.

•  Bush's Death Factory (3+ / 0-)

Here's another one that's interesting, and has a lot of the B.S. statements Bush made at the time about it, but the "money quote" isn't in there. You have to remember, Bush was being hassled big time by reporters to explain how "he knew" that no one he put to death was inocent.

by William Domingo on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 02:29:54 PM PDT

•  Meeese Standard. (3+ / 0-)
        xxdr zombiexx, gravitylove, snafubar

The logic of that statement is the Meese standard; "If he wasn't guilty, he wouldn't be a suspect."

Now, does Bush really want to make that argument? He'd be saying that if he, George Dubya Bush, had never done drugs, there would never have been rumors popping up in the 2000 campaign.

Poster child for the "If I'm so Smart, Why Ain't I Rich" Syndrome.

by Judge Moonbox on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 05:38:54 PM PDT

•  how dare you use that word. (2+ / 0-)
          xxdr zombiexx, Judge Moonbox

"Standard"

That would imply consistency...the rules change as they see fit.

Like Justice Potter Stewart thought about 'decency' and 'obscenity'

Former Justice Potter Stewart of the Supreme Court of the United States, in attempting to classify what material constituted exactly "what is obscene", famously wrote, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . [b]ut I know it when I see it . . ."[1]

"Standards? We don't need no stinking standards..."

George Orwell is banging on his coffin lid and screaming, "1984 was a cautionary tale, you dolts, not a motivational speech!"

by snafubar on Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:24:24 PM PDT

•  You got me. (0+ / 0-)

"Standard"
            That would imply consistency...the rules change as they see fit.

I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Poster child for the "If I'm so Smart, Why Ain't I Rich" Syndrome.

by Judge Moonbox on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 06:42:24 AM PDT

•  sorry I did not get back to this in time to rec (1+ / 0-)
              Judge Moonbox

you for it.

I hate being right sometimes.

by snafubar on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 08:46:36 AM PDT