View Diary: Edwards: "My Faith Came Roaring Back" - CNN Faith/Politics Forum (315 comments)

•  Clinton still supports DOMA (0+ / 0-)

Edwards does not.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. Charles Darwin

by pioneer111 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 07:57:56 PM PDT

•  So he's inched forward a little bit more than her (0+ / 0-)

And Obama?

My novel is full of sex, drink, incest, suicides, dope, horseracing, murder, scandalous legal procedure and ends with a good public hanging--attended by 30,000

by Salo on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:09:08 PM PDT

•  Obama supports civil unions (2+ / 0-)
        aitchdee, Blue South

not gay marriage, similar to Edwards.  I am not clear on his position with DOMA.

Edwards has the support of the leading LBGT organizations.  I don't have the lists handy.

FYI Elizabeth does support gay marriage.

by pioneer111 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:13:07 PM PDT

•  It should be easir to find out really. (0+ / 0-)

My guess is that he's probably split the diff like Edwards.

by Salo on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:17:41 PM PDT

•  Good for Elizabeth! Too bad she is not married! (0+ / 0-)

We need more married allies in the fight for equality. I understand that Elizabeth and John had a ceremony of sorts but you see, in my personal belief system, I do not recognize John and Elizabeth Edwards' marriage. John is a lawyer though. I am sure he can draw up some legal documents that approximate the rights of marriage in my eyes.......oh, but they better not go into Virginia, they can be challenged there. As long as he can present these documents to me, I will grant some recognition of their relationship. I think I will call their relationship "Really good friends who live together and procreate." I mean, whats the power of a simple word.... right? They will be fine if I describe them that way.....

you scratch a redneck and you will find a liberal underneath.....

by Schtu on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:29:54 PM PDT

•  No, she doesn't. (1+ / 0-)
      aitchdee

She recently said she supports the repeal of the same provision that Edwards and Obama, and all of the other candidates do: the one that prevents recognition by the federal government of marriage, civil unions, etc., recognized by the states.

I wish John Edwards were president.

by Drew on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:05:55 PM PDT

•  That is new then, and good to hear (1+ / 0-)
        aitchdee

by pioneer111 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:08:56 PM PDT

•  Here's the link. (0+ / 0-)

This groundbreaking and unified position of all Democratic candidates would override Section 3 of the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act," which provides that for federal purposes, "The word ‘marriage’ means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word ‘spouse’ refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife." (1 U.S.C. Section 7)

Also a change, I believe, for Biden and Richardson.

Time to up the expectations.

I wish John Edwards were president.

by Drew on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:16:24 PM PDT

•  good for her. (0+ / 0-)

by Salo on Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:14:33 PM PDT