View Diary: Edwards: "My Faith Came Roaring Back" - CNN Faith/Politics Forum (315 comments)

•  Edwards is the only one who blames his religion (0+ / 0-)

for his failure to support gay marriage.  Furthermore he supports prayer in school and faith-based funding by the federal government.

If you don't have an earth-shaking idea, get one, you'll love building a better world.

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 02:34:16 AM PDT

•  Blaming? No, that's not what I see at all. (0+ / 0-)

He's telling us how he comes to believe the way he does, personally. At the same time, he's saying that his own daughter disagrees with him. The man is recognizing progress..admitting that he's having a strugle reconciling faith and politics on this issue. It doesn't mean his mind is closed!

•  So sentencing generations of gays to (0+ / 0-)

"separate but equal" citizenship is ok so long as Edwards is trying to resolve his personal religious conflict?  Novel concept.

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 01:10:31 PM PDT

•  He hasn't sentenced anyone to anything (0+ / 0-)

And if you read the text of his actual statement, no one is shackled to their current legal lot by anyone but themselves. Democracy means participation in government. You work to get it done and it starts with your local governments and social institutions. I'll gladly join gays in their battle because there are many that are my dear friends.

•  Good for you. I wish Edwards, who calls himself (0+ / 0-)

a leader, would follow your example.

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 03:47:29 PM PDT

•  He'll never stop hearing from me on it (0+ / 0-)

Some of the people I love most in this life are gay or lesbian and I am convinced that when my teenage son is at the age where his generation has taken the top levels of power in this nation, gay marriage will be a non-issue. The best place to push this is at the  local and state levels of government. Here in New York state we are lucky in that gays and lesbians have a BEST friend in Governor Eliot Spitzer.

•  Well you might want to think about it a little. (0+ / 0-)

Edwards says that he is against gay marriage because of his religious upbringing.  Since it is wrong to put gays in a "separate but equal" class, then Edwards stands with the slavers and Jim Crow advocates of our past.  That of course is wrong, and because Edwards is never wrong, especially on moral issues, then he can't be to blame for his position.  Therefore someone or something else must be to blame, and Mr. Edwards tells exactly what it is: his Southern Baptist upbringing.  Sounds like placing blame to me.

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 01:14:04 PM PDT

•  Ugly Hyerbole (0+ / 0-)

Sticking a Jim Crow or slaver label to any policy Senator Edwards is forwarding is  abhorrent in its intellectaual dishonesty.

•  People are known by the company they keep. (0+ / 0-)

"Separate but equal" is an old way of denying civil rights to minorities -- a nasty, abhorrent, dishonest, and un-American practice.

No matter how many names you call me, Edwards has fallen in with some of the most reprehensible people in our nation's history.

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 03:49:39 PM PDT

•  Race and sexual orientation are not one issue (0+ / 0-)

That was my point. We have to talk about this with non-rhetorical truth and come at it head-on..straight-shooting all the way. I didn't call you a name, by the way. I critcized your method of framing the issue, which I still maintain was hyperbolic in a very unfair way to anyone who would be US President and tells you that he is for civil unions, rejected DOMA, and will not seek any Constitutional amendment to impede the progress that comes when activists do the hard work that they are required to do from the bottom up. I'm speaking to you with the utmost respect when I say that it is people who care most about the issue and those who love them to stand up and act to change things in the way that no President in 2008, no matter how much they pander to you, will accomplish without you and other who want change to be the leaders you've waited for.

•  I am simply astonished that you describe any (0+ / 0-)

presidential candidate as a panderer if he/she insists that we honor the Declaration of Independence's essential phrase, "all men are created equal and are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."  That is what I am looking for in a national leader.  Anything short of that is shameful, and makes us no better than all those earlier generations of Americans who turned a blind eye to "separate but equal."

by hestal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 11:46:57 PM PDT