View Diary: Body armor: The fog of war profiteering (159 comments)

•  I heard something here about a Supplemental vote (7+ / 0-)

a few weeks ago.  Something about giving the WH a $100bn blank check for Iraq.  Did it ever occur to anyone then to raise this issue?

On a serious note, hearings are nice, but they won't get the job done.  The WH treats Congressional hearings the way that Cheney treats his hunting partners.  Legislation is the only way to get their attention.

There should've been an amendment to the Supplemental requiring independent testing of Dragon Skin and the provision of testing video to Congress.  The Supplemental passed by embarrassing large margins b/c Congress was afraid to "not support the troops."  How is giving a blank check to the WH w/o making sure that the best body armor available is provided supporting the troops?

I'm sooo tired of this s**t.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I see things that never were and ask why not?

by RFK Lives on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 06:27:09 AM PDT

•  Unfortunately, RFK, (1+ / 0-)
      madgranny

it took this long to get this matter to the official attention of Congress.

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. - Justice William O. Douglas

by occams hatchet on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 06:31:14 AM PDT

•  I knew about this issue before the Supplemental.. (6+ / 0-)

vote.  So did plenty of others here.  Any MOC who's just learning about it now isn't doing his/her job very well.

by RFK Lives on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 06:42:38 AM PDT

•  Note I said, (2+ / 0-)
          Dburn, madgranny

the OFFICIAL attention of Congress - as in, hearings. No one was about to take action re: funding without hearings.

by occams hatchet on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 06:58:49 AM PDT

•  Then the hearings should've been held sooner... (2+ / 0-)
            TexDem, madgranny

I've been calling for Truman Commission hearings since the 2006 campaign.  I'm still waiting for an announcement that they will be convened.  These long overdue hearings are merely a small drop in a large bucket.

Military procurement is a fetid swamp of favoritism, corruption, waste, and profiteering.  I assumed that starting to drain that swamp would be the Dems' first order of business.  A lot of my cherished assumptions are being swept away these days.

by RFK Lives on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 07:05:48 AM PDT

•  Now that the funding has been granted, (3+ / 0-)
      RFK Lives, groggy, TexDem

what leverage does Congress have on this issue? If the Pentagon says (as it has) no thank you, then what? Does this wait til September too?

•  EXACTLY the point... (2+ / 0-)
        groggy, madgranny

the Cong Dems have shown a basic inability to skillfully play the cards in their hand since reclaiming the majority.

by RFK Lives on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 07:40:11 AM PDT