View Diary: Am I Really About To Do This? In Defense of Paris Hilton (164 comments)

•  amen brother (2+ / 0-)
    OCD, Cali Techie

and since when is drunken driving not a serious, very serious violation of the law?

btw, I had my license suspended in cali bc I was driving a recently-purchased car that was not listed on my insurance plan. So every time I drive, I face the possibility of going to court if I get caught.

I couldnt feel sorry for paris if I tried.

witness the GOPRANOS.. rethugs: "If they fuck with me or Shaha, I have enough on them to fuck them too." -Paul Wolfowitz, quoted by the UK's Guardian

by change the Be on Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 11:54:06 PM PDT

•  You need to get that fixed ASAP (4+ / 0-)
      OCD, Fabian, JPete, change the Be

Trust me on that. I speak from the voice of experience.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:10:28 AM PDT

•  I'm definitely getting a bike (1+ / 0-)
        OCD

and cutting out my driving AS MUCH as possible.

as if I needed another reason to use less petroleum...I might go to jail for it!

seriously, though...is it law that you are imprisoned in CA just for driving on a suspended license?

seems way too harsh. I imagined a fine, and my car being impounded. No more, really.

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:20:23 AM PDT

•  They're pretty serious about it (2+ / 0-)
          OCD, change the Be

I was in Florida when I was jailed for driving without a valid license, but I have a good friend who is a CHiP and he says they definitely haul them off to jail when they catch them because if they have insurance it won't cover anything because it requires their license to be valid at the time of an accident.

Get that license fixed even if you're not driving much. One malfunctioning light can get up thrown into the slammer.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:27:40 AM PDT

•  gah! (1+ / 0-)
            OCD

I meant to say One malfunctioning light can get YOU thrown into the slammer.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:28:23 AM PDT

•  I'll be gone til november, gone til november.. (1+ / 0-)
            OCD

actually, I don't think my one-year suspension ends until November.

eh. I try not to think about it, because I didn't even get pulled over...someone ran into me, which is the only reason I had to deal with the cops in the first place.

bummer.

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:30:36 AM PDT

•  It could happen again (1+ / 0-)
              Fabian

I got pulled over for a burned out tail light. My plate came up as having expired insurance but I had the proof of new insurance in the car. He ran my license anyway and that was when I got zinged.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:32:21 AM PDT

•  Other People From Your State (4+ / 0-)
          OCD, murrayewv, Fabian, Cali Techie

Can explain. In my state you will go to jail that day if you drive on a suspended license in Illinois.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:28:07 AM PDT

•  It's pretty much that way nationwide (4+ / 0-)
            OCD, murrayewv, Fabian, change the Be

They'll all haul you to the clink for driving without a license. I'm surprised (well not really) miss Hilton wasn't hauled back in the first time they caught her driving while her license was suspended.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:30:56 AM PDT

•  me too (1+ / 0-)
              debedb

in fact, when I read about that, I kind of thought to myself..."well, I guess I'm safe from jail at least. a court date is the worst I should expect from the pigs."

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:32:40 AM PDT

•  You Should Not Call (3+ / 0-)
                murrayewv, Fabian, Cali Techie

police men "pigs."

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:35:20 AM PDT

•  why? (1+ / 0-)
                  debedb

too late, I am afraid. (not just online, but in-person as well)

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:38:18 AM PDT

•  It Is Just Wrong (2+ / 0-)
                    murrayewv, Cali Techie

Wrong on many levels. 99.9 percent of police officers are there for you and I. Calling them a pig is wrong on so many different levels.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:41:24 AM PDT

•  My dad was in law enforcement (4+ / 0-)

He had a big belt buckle that had a pig on it and this:

Pride
                      Integrity
                      Guts

But yeah, you should avoid calling law enforcement officers pigs...

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:43:21 AM PDT

•  right. (3+ / 0-)
                        TerraByte, JPete, debedb

I've never met one who didn't want to harass/arrest anyone with brown skin.

maybe I need to start driving around with white people in my car more often...

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:46:35 AM PDT

•  There's always a few (1+ / 0-)
                          murrayewv

Who are like that. But I think it's just as unfair for you to use that same broad brush to paint all law enforcement officers as racist.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:58:48 AM PDT

•  And (1+ / 0-)
                            Fabian

There are plenty of law enforcement officers who have brown skin. Some of the best in fact.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:59:51 AM PDT

•  I can't (1+ / 0-)
                            debedb

post the slang that is used to describe black officers(which are probably unfair, you're right)

because those terms are MUCH more offensive than 'pig'.

Anyway, I hope you are more right than me. All I can say is that you have your experiences, and I have mine.
                            I'd certainly like to believe you.

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 01:02:56 AM PDT

•  I've had police officers lie (3+ / 0-)
                            TerraByte, cassidy3, debedb

The time I was in jail for the traffic thing wasn't the first time I'd ever been in a county lockup. I was a bit of a "wild child" in my early 20's and I once got into an argument after a night of going to the bars with some rent a cops who wouldn't let me get back to my sleeping quarters on a fairgrounds (I was once a carnie). They called the law, and my buddies and I were told to go find someplace to wait until 7 am when the gates opened. I was walking away when one deputy claimed I called the female officer present a bitch. Next thing I know I was thrown on the trunk of a cruiser, handcuffed and hauled off to jail for trespassing. I know I didn't say a word.

The attorney my boss hired said that's not uncommon and the local Sheriff's department is known for making up reasons to arrest people. Fortunately none of the arresting officers showed up at the arraignment and the charges were dropped. The charges wouldn't have stood anyway because my friends were ready to testify I was complying with the order to leave. They did it just because they could.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 01:14:34 AM PDT

•  another story (3+ / 0-)
                            TerraByte, murrayewv, Fabian

albeit much less exciting.

my friend got pulled over for BWB-biking while black.

yes, you read correctly.

Apparently, it's against the law to ride your bike at night w/o a bike light. Probably for safety reasons that benefit the bike rider more than anyone. However, he wasn't biking down sepulveda or Wilshire. He was biking down a two-way connecting street, merely on his way to the college.

He gets pulled over, frisked, and questioned all for not having a light on his bicycle. Because people on bikes are a threat to society. Especially if they are black in a white neighborhood..they must be trying to steal something!

as for me, I just deal with the usual crap: getting pulled over for lights that don't work(but magically start working AFTER my license/insurance gets checked...as well as my background) and the usual dumb bullshit. I've seen it all, been pulled over for it all before.

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 02:15:48 AM PDT

•  well....I got some good news, I think (0+ / 0-)

Delgadillo said through a spokesman the two incidents are not comparable. "Paris Hilton, when driving with a suspended license, was on probation for a DUI-reckless driving charge," the Delgadillo spokesman said. Michelle Delgadillo was not on probation when cops stopped her for an illegal turn and found out her license had been suspended -- a year earlier, she was in an accident and could not show proof of insurance.

Like I said, there's no way I"m going to jail for insurance....fuck the insurance companies. THey might own our politicians, but there's still some limits to what they can do.

by change the Be on Sun Jun 10, 2007 at 12:59:18 AM PDT

•  Very Interesting (0+ / 0-)

I would never have thought that. I can safely say none in my family that have served would be called "pigs" and not maybe start a fight.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:50:36 AM PDT

•  it's not a politically correct term (2+ / 0-)
                          TerraByte, debedb

and this ain't a politically-correct world, sometimes.

IF everything were perfect, then I wouldn't even care about them, much less be afraid of them.

LAPD is full of racists,as are many other police departments of course. Maybe there are good guys, but I've never encountered one of the 'good' ones...

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:56:35 AM PDT

•  He would have never tolerated it (0+ / 0-)

from any of the inmates at the federal prison or someone who wasn't a close friend...

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:57:25 AM PDT

•  99.9 (1+ / 0-)
                      TerraByte

Care to share the source of this statistics? I think that it's way more than 0.1 percent who are there for the badge to hide behind while they're on their pseudo-macho power trip.

•  99.9%? Nope. (0+ / 0-)

55%

Democratic Candidate for US Senator, Wisconsin, in 2012

Gravel for President, 2008

by ben masel on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 03:27:16 AM PDT

•  They didn't haul her in (2+ / 0-)
                Fabian, peaceloveandkucinich

It's really at their discretion. They can just issue a warning and make you sign a statement where you acknowledge your license has been suspended (usually done in insurance cases), but it all depends on who stops you. If the cop is a hard-ass the cuffs will come out.

She should have been hauled in because it was a probation violation for her to even be stopped for a traffic violation. I suspect she wasn't hauled in because of who she is, but they can't really excuse it after she signed the statement, which she said she didn't even know what she was signing. Sorry lil' girl - I'm positive the nice police man explained it to you and even if you didn't understand it you should have had your daddy or one of his lawyers spell it out for you.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:39:27 AM PDT

•  california (0+ / 0-)

for better or worse has many, many drivers without licenses/insurance , such as immigrants.

I guess they find enough room in the slammer to crowd all of them in, too.

by change the Be on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 12:31:51 AM PDT

•  The seriousness of the violation is NOT the issue (0+ / 0-)

If you have a problem with the measure of seriousness of a DUI violation, you should take aim at the judicial system instead of blaming someone else for their inadequacies. The offense has been measured and her punishment exceeded that of average Joe. Did the system judge her fairly if EVERYONE else receives better treatment? That is the issue.

Furthermore, you can't compare apples to oranges and expect it to yield the truth. The circumstances of the PH ordeal is complete different from YOUR personal experiences with the system AND the location makes a difference IF you consider the fact that every county is mandated to over-crowding regulations.

•  I call BS (0+ / 0-)

The laws she broke are consistent from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. People who drive under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs are dangerous to themselves and everyone they encounter in their path.

Her original punishment did not exceed that of the average joe, and she was even treated with kid gloves by getting off with a warning for her first probation violation, something a lot of average joes don't get. The second probation violation shows a clear disrespect for the law, which then warrants a stronger sentence. The judge is still being nice to her because he could have sentenced her up to a year in the county lockup for violating her probation. Instead she got a month and a half and she'll only have to serve a bit more than two weeks if she keeps her nose clean. Poor baby, she'll actually have to spend a few days in less than total luxury as a consequence for endangering the lives of others. Boo fucking hoo.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 09:05:02 AM PDT

•  Who do you believe? (0+ / 0-)

The laws are consistent (as far as I know), but the punishment is NOT. I agree she her punishment EXCEEDS that of what everyone else receives. Consider this opinion is from the sheriff of LA county who has a lot more experience than either you or me with these matters. Who do you believe?

•  I believe the judge and my own experiences (0+ / 0-)

The Sheriff of LA County doesn't have a say in the matter. His job is to do what the court tells him to do. The fact he decided on his own to release her to house arrest against the judge's direct order not to do so tells me he's not competent enough to be trusted. Besides now that he's in trouble he's going to say anything to make himself look better.

by Cali Techie on Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 07:10:21 PM PDT