View Diary: GBCW – It’s the credibility, stupid! (144 comments)

•  Stuart Smalley Redux (7+ / 0-)

Stuart Smalley said, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

N0MAN1968 seems to be saying, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, but too many people here aren't good enough and smart enough, and doggone it, I don't like them!"

Several forms of the GoodBye Cruel World diary seem to exist, but the "I Am Leaving Because You People Suck" is my least favorite.  My favorite is, unsurprisingly, the "I Do Not Want To Leave But I Have To Because ...[I am too busy at school, too busy with the kids, or whatever]"

Whenever a person is dealing with a large group of people, some or even all of those people may wander off down the wrong path from time to time.  This is to be expected, but that is OK.

This is a debate site.  If one thinks people are wrong, then one's job is to put together the most compelling argument one can, and then one can address the comments of those with whom one still has a disagreement.

Like the writer of this diary, I was disappointed with the reaction of many on DailyKos.com to the choice of our Congress not to resubmit the same bill to President Select George W. Bush.  I believe that the Democrats in Congress knew that since they did not have the votes to override Bush's veto powers, all they could do would be keep submitting the same bill and hope that Bush caved in before too many of our troops starved to death.  However, I believe that  the Democrats in Congress realized that they were playing a deadly game of chicken with a crazy person who was so stubborn that he would rather let the troops starve and then try to blame it on the Democrats than back down.  It was not a lack of courage of the Democrats but rather a realization that the petulant child that is George W. Bush is willing to sacrifice an untold number of human lives to get his way.  A sane person always looses when playing chicken with a crazy person who has no fear of death.

But this author of this diary does not seem interested in persuading people.  He seems to think that there is so much riffraff here that it is not worth trying right now.  Oh, he does throw us some bones.  According to him, there are many fine posters here.  I guess they are just outnumbered by the scum. :)

Fine, you are better than most of us, and most of us are scum.  Please go on to your better world and leave our world occupied mostly by your inferiors behind.  Pardon me if I do not shed a tear. :)

I, on the other hand, have a quite different viewpoint.  I am regularly amazed by the large amount of knowledge, caring, and insight here at this little nook we call www.dailykos.com.  I would like to take this moment to thank you all (trolls not included) for making my experience here full of joy, learning, and laughter.  Perhaps it is my inferior mind that allows me to think so highly of everyone else.  Whatever it is, I am grateful for it, as I am grateful for each and every one of you here on this site, trolls excepted of course. :)

Consider this the opposite of a GoodBye Cruel World diary.  This is my "Hello Wonderful World" comment.  Hello Dailykos.com.  I am STAYING.  Here's to hoping that scares the bejesus out of a some of you. :)

WWYTR? "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view-"-Harper Lee

by StevenJoseph on Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 09:49:17 AM PDT

•  I think this has to be right . . . (4+ / 0-)

But I also don't think we, as a country, have adequately understood the horrifying implications of it.  The enormity of what it means to our system of government.

It means: this whole time, the past 200 years, our system has worked because no one had the guts to really and truly game the system.  But the system can be gamed.

We are a nation of men, not laws, it turns out.  And that has to be fixed.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you." -- Fry, Futurama

by LithiumCola on Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 11:04:43 AM PDT

•  Now THAT'S a strong move to the basket! (2+ / 0-)
      StevenJoseph, OCD

Raise their game, Steven, raise their game! I'm not better than anyone else, just looking for a new scene with less "noise."

"With great power comes great responsibility." -- Stan Lee

by N0MAN1968 on Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 11:13:13 AM PDT

•  Thanks so much, Steve (1+ / 0-)
      StevenJoseph

I appreciate your kind words.  I have been exhausted lately and hearing that posters here are also cutting back hurts my heart.  I don't know how to do without fabooj, for example.

I hope NM comes back, eventually, and tries again.  I hope others here will stay and help us be the best we can be.

"Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you. They are unique manifestations of the human spirit." Wade Davis

by cfk on Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 04:16:52 PM PDT

•  You are welcome. :) (2+ / 0-)
        cfk, N0MAN1968

We all get exhausted from time to time.  If I spent too much time thinking about all of the people that are dying unnecessarily because of the Republicans, I think I'd be tempted to either slit my wrists or go batshit insane.  So sometimes, I have to pull myself back from the edge of the cliff and remind myself that if I cannot save myself, I won't be able to save anyone else either.  It is kind of like those safety videos on airplines.  First put the mask over your own face, then worry about getting the mask on everyone else.

I think many who have left this place will want to return one day.  And if they don't, that is ok too because it just makes it a tad easier for some of us others to try for a chance at the spotlight. :)

by StevenJoseph on Sun Jun 17, 2007 at 10:45:38 PM PDT

•  Responding to these final comments, (1+ / 0-)
          StevenJoseph

I feel like I'm leaving a job that I no longer enjoy. An obligation is lifting. It's amazing how this place consumed me. I know exactly what you mean -- I don't have the energy to stay informed about the horrors of "America v.2000" and try to effect change in my own way while dealing with the now dominant irrationality of this virtual community.

"With great power comes great responsibility." -- Stan Lee

by N0MAN1968 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 03:28:20 AM PDT

•  Then it is best that you go and take a long rest. (1+ / 0-)
            N0MAN1968

I recommend you check back in here in October 2008, to join in the fun. :)

by StevenJoseph on Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 05:12:00 AM PDT