View Diary: Tagging: Last-name-only tags are BAD! (83 comments)

•  my dearest sardonyx.... (4+ / 0-)

a question, if you wouldn't mind. i did notice the other day that the tags on my diary were changed just a bit. white house scandals was changed to republican scandals, and parody, snark, and humor were removed, and satire was added. to me, white house scandals are more specific than rethuglican scandals, but i can live with the change. however, satire is different than snark, at least to me, and i think that parody is a specific category that helps people find song or tv or movie parodies. humor is the umbrella category (unlike satire) and parody is a subcategory more specific to the subject matter. am i being too nitpicky? i didn't change the tags back.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 07:55:44 PM PDT

•  Curiosity is a good thing, (4+ / 0-)

nonnie9999. The thing about White House is that it referrs to the building. However, after searching on scandal and coming up with

republican sex scandals (72)
      scandals (143)
      scandal (880)
      sex scandal (54)

I changed Republican Scandals to Bush Administration, scandal. I think that's closer to your intent. As to parody, snark, humor and satire; they've all been used many times, so I leave that decision up to you. We much prefer you pick one.

•  Didn't see this one (3+ / 0-)
        CalifSherry, ek hornbeck, nonnie9999

I need to refresh more often.

Sorry, CalifSherry; didn't mean to step on your answer.

© sardonyx; all rights reserved

by sardonyx on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:37:55 PM PDT

•  thanks sherry.... (4+ / 0-)

i didn't see your answer before i answered sardonyx (is dk this slow for everyone? sheesh!! it's like pulling teeth to get anywhere!) in my answer to sar, i also explained that there is a real difference in my mind between humor, snark, and parody. something can be humorous without being snarky, and a parody might not be funny or snarky.
        i guess i have a more fundamental question now. is the problem that people are using too many tags or just tags that are not correct. is it wrong to include parody, snark, and humor (and even satire if it is fitting) in the tags of a particular diary? i thought the problem was uniformity, not the number of tags being used.
        i know i sound like i am pounding this into the ground. i don't mean to be a pain in the ass (some things come naturally), i am just confused.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:19:55 PM PDT

•  redundancy in tags is undesirable (4+ / 0-)

however, you have a perhaps better grasp on the distinctions between satire, parody, snark, and humor than some. ahem. Than I. So make your choices, nonnie9999. And, if you're so inclined, take a look at some other diaries that use more than one of these tags, and help us all out.

No apologies needed. Not for a moment.

•  thanks sherry! (4+ / 0-)

i will look tomorrow for diaries that use the snark/humor/satire/parody tags. i know that i have looked for diaries using all of those tags, so i am assuming that other people do, too. it would be great for everyone to use the same tag so that nobody has to use 3 or 4 to get all the diaries that they are looking for, but we all know the chances of that happening, despite the good effort of the tag team. right now, it takes forever for the pages to load, so i will put off my search until tomorrow rather than throwing my monitor out the window in a fit of impatience.
            i did bookmark the page that has the tag search. i had forgotten about it. it should come in very handy.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 10:13:35 PM PDT

•  Just to be totally clear. (2+ / 0-)
          CSI Bentonville, nonnie9999

I think if your tag is in the cloud anyway it makes no difference except a positive one (in terms of being easier to find your Diary) to multiply tag your Diary.

•  that's what i was thinking, ek.... (2+ / 0-)
            ek hornbeck, CSI Bentonville

it makes sense to me to use too many tags rather than too few, as long as the tags are legitimate ones and conform to the wording that has been deemed to be best. sherry and sar are absolutely correct that white house scandals was incorrect and unhelpful, while scandal and bush administration do the job rather well and are more descriptive. confession--i actually copied and pasted the tags from my little blog (it is much easier to write over there and copy and paste the whole kit and kaboodle over here, including the tags. i have a drop down menu and i am the only one who writes over there, so i can keep my own tags straight). on a huge blog like this one, it is better to have guidelines as to what is a proper tag, as it makes it much easier for people to find what they are looking for.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:25:32 PM PDT

•  What is the problem with multiples... (1+ / 0-)
        CSI Bentonville

since they are all in the tag cloud anyway?

They do not add to the slowness in loading

They increase Diary traffic.  Is not the ultimate goal to make things easier to find?

•  Hmm (2+ / 0-)
      CSI Bentonville, nonnie9999

I don't see any sign of "Republican scandals" (not a great tag to begin with). Humor and satire are both used about equally on Daily Kos (both over 1600 times), but snark half again as often at 2473; parody is used about 230 times. I'm restoring your usage of snark and parody, and removing satire. You know what you did. The tag librarian crew may decide that a political blog doesn't need such fine discernment all the way down to the "parody" level—in fact, they may have already and I'm forgetting about it—but "snark" is far too established and popular to be killed.

As for "White House scandal", "White House" is used for the actual building. Otherwise, it's "Bush Administration" (the folks who work in the building), and "scandal" should be separated out; that's probably what happened there, although they aren't really near each other. But then, "Republicans" are listed well after "scandal". 'Tis a puzzlement.

© sardonyx; all rights reserved

by sardonyx on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:21:10 PM PDT

•  thanks, sar! (3+ / 0-)

i like keeping the tag 'parody' because it is a particular kind of humor. it is based on another work. i asked because there was a discussion of parodies and getting together kossacks who write them. it will be a lot easier to find them if parody remains a valid tag. i understand completely your explanation of scandals. you are correct that the scandals belong to the chimpy administration rather than the white house itself.
        just for my own edification, is it okay to use humor and snark? to many, it is a distinction without a difference, but i always think of snark as having sarcasm as an important ingredient, as humor is pretty general.

I didn't get Jack from Abramoff...I'm not a Republican!

by nonnie9999 on Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:13:02 PM PDT