View Diary: The Salazar Distraction (128 comments)

•  So true (0+ / 0-)

But still much better then Senator Coors.  No?

January 4, 2007- It's a great day to be an American!

by jah4168 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 09:31:59 PM PDT

•  No. There's another way it could have played out (1+ / 0-)
      sj

Mike Miles would have defeated Pete Coors.  It wasn't Salazar's "name recognition" that got him elected - I mean, c'mon: the State Attorney General against a guy with his name on half the beer cans in Colorado? - and it certainly wasn't his record at that post, which was every bit as wishy-washy as his Senatorial one has been.  Salazar won because Colorado as a whole swung to Democrats in a way unparalleled in other elections around the country in 2004 - governor, both houses of the State legislature, etc.  In Colorado, it was the Dems election to lose that year, and at the Senate level, we did.

•  Then why couldn't Miles defeat Salazar? (1+ / 0-)
        Unitary Moonbat

That's the real problem we need to address.  Why are national dems still afraid of progressives?  Why would they want Salazar and Casey in the US Senate if those states were really prepared to elect "fighting Dems"?  Was it just the easy way out or did they really believe that they could only beat Coors and Santorum with Coors and Santorum light?

The bigger question though is how do we stop them in the future from shoving more Salazars down our throats

January 4, 2007- It's a great day to be an American!

by jah4168 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 09:51:38 PM PDT

•  salazar had the money... (2+ / 0-)
          sj, Unitary Moonbat

...and Mike didn't.  That's all I can think of.

Hell the only reson republicans went with coors is because he had the bucks too.  Certainly wasn't his sterling reputation or record in public service.

The establishment dems were skittish going head to head against someone with Coor's financial success.

•  So how do we get the money to Miles next time? (0+ / 0-)

That's the easy way out.  Salazar had the money because they wanted him to have the money.  It's the same reason most of the big money Dem donors are backing Clinton and not a progressive like Feingold.  The national Dems are afraid of their shadows.  They always make the safe choice.  We need do decide whether the short term benefit of Casey over Santorum outweighs the possibility that a progressive canidate loses.  If not, then we should play along.  I suggest the gain isn't worth it and we need to figure out a way to get the Dem power players (schumer and emanuel) to see things our way.  Right now, we have showed them that we will do what they say.  How do we get them to listen to us?  Voting repub or not voting isn't the answer.  I'm just not sure what is...

January 4, 2007- It's a great day to be an American!

by jah4168 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 10:42:21 PM PDT

•  well, lets face it... (0+ / 0-)

...the netroots weren't as big an electoral force in '04 as it was in '06.

I don't even know if Miles will run again but if he does he'll enjoy a great deal of netroots support, something that will be a factor in such a race.

I don't know.  Salazar isn't up til '10.  So we'll have to wait and see.

•  Here in lies the rub for me (0+ / 0-)

Let me start by saying that I love Dailykos and the Netroots more then I could ever express.  However, I am more and more convinced that we are not an electoral force.  I also think that we do great damage to our cause by pretending we are an electoral force.  Let me  explain.

First, I am not in any way arguing that we are irrelevant.  Second, I think we were sooo close to actually becoming an electoral force in '06.  A Lamont victory in CT would have been a huge step in this regard.  But, we blew it.  Third, we only accomplished what we did with Tester and Webb because the Dems had given up on those races.  Same with a lot of the Congressional races.  The Dem establishment put their people on the ballot in every race they believed they could win.  We just got lucky they didn't think they could win in VA and MT.  I think we will have a much more difficult time getting people powered candidates through primaries in the future.

Finally, I think the 2008 presidential race is a perfect illustration of our problems.  We don't even have a viable progressive candidate running.  The system has been rigged to almost preclude a Dean phenomenon from ever happening again.  The Dem establishment has thrown their weight behind Hillary and we are left with the Obama/Edwards scraps.  We are still acting like we matter while being treated like we don't.

So, I guess my point is that we need to do things to make ourselves more of a real political force in the Dem party before we start acting like one.  I know from personal experience that despite Atrios and MyDD being based in PA we were anything but a force in 2006.

I hope you are right, but right now the Dem Congress sure doesn't seem overly concerned what we think.

January 4, 2007- It's a great day to be an American!

by jah4168 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 11:40:43 PM PDT

•  I agree to a point. (1+ / 0-)
                  sj

We are not a potent electoral force, but a growing one.  We did do well with webb and tester and to a lesser extent we did well with Lamont too.  I think we lost lamont for no other reason than because Republicans fled from their candidate to jump on Lieberman's ship.

So yeah, we're not a potant electoral force in and of ourselves, but we are I think greatly affecting the discourse.  We are righting the records when they need to be righted and we are transmitting the truth when no one else will.

And that is where our strength lies.

•  It's the DLC thing in microcosm (4+ / 0-)

Miles was a middle school principal with a sterling resume, no experience in elected office, and a grassroots campaigning style that didn't fit the traditional mold.  Salazar is nothing if not traditional mold.

At the state convention in '04, Miles did defeat Salazar, and earned the top line on the Dem primary ballot.  That lit a fire under Salazar's ass, and he pulled out all the stops, basically just buying the primary nomination out from under Miles.  Like Bill Winter, a teacher/fighting Dem who went up against Tancredo last time around, Miles just didn't get the support from the establishment types - the enemy you know, I guess...

I totally agree with your last thought: whether it's Lieberman or Salazar or Casey, I'm sick of getting served DINO and being told it's steak.

•  me too! (0+ / 0-)

So how do we fix it?  I tired of ranting about it and not being able to change a thing.  There has to be something we can do other then keep eating their shit sandwiches.

January 4, 2007- It's a great day to be an American!

by jah4168 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 10:44:44 PM PDT

•  EMILY (0+ / 0-)

Early Money Is Like Yeast (it helps the dough rise)

That's the acronym for Emily's List.  They support women, but the concept is right on the money (pun not intended). Support those progressive, grassroots candidates at the beginning, from the beginning.  Don't wait until they have "picked up steam".  You ARE the steam.

The chips are down. Find your outrage.

by sj on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 04:30:42 PM PDT