View Diary: Senate Push on Iraq Coming (88 comments)

•  Finally! (13+ / 0-)

Finally, it sounds like Harry gets it.  Finally.

That's all we're asking - keep pushing to end this.  We know we don't have the votes, but we'll never get them if we don't keep fighting for them.

"But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore"--Prine 3601+ dead Americans. Bring them home.

by Miss Blue on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 06:08:57 PM PDT

•  It does sound like he gets it. (15+ / 0-)

The end of the article:

The war clearly has consumed Mr. Reid. He said his emotions had been stirred by visits to Walter Reed Army Medical Center to meet with gravely wounded troops and his own calls to the survivors of Nevada residents killed in the fighting.

The impact of the wounded was reflected in an e-mail exchange with a staff member, who, during the war financing fight, relayed poll results that found 56 percent of Americans backed the Democrats, but that a sizable 37 percent sided with Mr. Bush.

"May the 37 percent see the pain and suffering I have seen at Walter Reed," Mr. Reid replied.

greenearth

I was wondering what caused the change in Reid. Hope those images stay with him.

•  Please be true please please (2+ / 0-)
        Miss Blue, greenearth

Just as people, I really like both Reid and Pelosi a lot. As politicians I've been very disappointed they keep thinking inside the coffin box that has been Democratic path to loss in the past. Think "No, Dems, don't attack George Bush" in '04.

But if the Dem leadership starts listening to their ordinary human heart, it will be a huge relief and encouragement for me.

Until we break the corporate virtual monopoly on what we hear and see, we keep losing, don't matter what we do.

by Jim P on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 07:02:10 PM PDT

•  I hate to keep (0+ / 0-)

repeating myself in this diary but...

Reid has been saying that all along. He hs never wavered from his devotion to ending this war. I don't know where you guys got this notion except for making it up.

"You Have The Power!" - Howard Dean

by talex on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 07:38:43 PM PDT

•  Sigh (1+ / 0-)
          greenearth

I, for one, did not say Harry had a "change of heart".

However, if Harry has been pushing a withdrawal bill, repeatedly, in the past, I have missed it.

by Miss Blue on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 08:00:51 PM PDT

•  Well there have only been two bills (0+ / 0-)

the first one was a timeline bill.

The second time he didn't have enough votes to get past a filibuster and pass a timeline bill so he had to compromise with benchmarks. But he NEVER said he was giving up on getting out of Iraq or trying for a timeline. That's just an urban myth here. Like people don't understand how the Senate works. Sigh.

"You Have The Power!" - Howard Dean

by talex on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 08:08:19 PM PDT

•  thank you for this momemt of clarity (0+ / 0-)

as for pelosi, the same (save for the filibuster-issue) held true too (regarding ending the war, not at all talking about impeachment).

i just appreciate the objective recap of the trajectory.  thanks..

_________________________________

"Sileann do chara agus do namhaid nach bhfaighidh tú bás choíce."

-8.25, -6.15

by dadanation on Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 09:38:41 PM PDT

•  I welcome (1+ / 0-)
      greenearth

Fighting terrorists on our streets. I teach my children that they (terrorists) are are bad people, I/E the boogeyman, it keeps them inline. They (my children) keep me safe as well.

•  I think Harry always got it (0+ / 0-)

Democrats in Congress realized early on that they have to do everything they can to end the war.  But they also realized that they cannot just ram through things and look just as arrogant with their power as the Republicans did with theirs.  They realized they needed to bring the country along to not just a majority opinion but a near consensus to effectively push for end to a war.  A consensus not only on the idea that the war must end, but on the idea that Congress must use its purse strings to end it.

"The Power to change this party, and the power to change this country is in your hands, not mine." - Gov. Howard Dean, MD

by deaniac83 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 at 07:24:26 PM PDT

•  Miss Blue (0+ / 0-)

He has been saying that all along.

"You Have The Power!" - Howard Dean