View Diary: Making A Modern Muslim World (216 comments)

•  I'm not completely certain that this is true... (0+ / 0-)

The bloodiest wars of my lifetime and I'm sure your lifetime and perhaps our Grand's lifetimes were secular Wars

I don't think it can be denied that there were religious aspects of WWII, but while I agree that

People are afraid of the past repeating itself

I don't know how this addresses your primary question.

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 09:09:03 AM PDT

•  Honestly (0+ / 0-)

I don't know how this addresses your primary question.

By the primary question do you mean,

"How do people live together?"

I don't really know how to answer this question right now, wa allahu a'alam (and God knows best). I respect it... it is sincere and I cannot find an answer that matches my intentions with respect to the seriousness of it all.

-- Hakim Abdullah | Chief Editor

by Hakim Abdullah on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 09:27:37 AM PDT

•  I consider this... (0+ / 0-)

And this can only be possible if the non-Muslim world can accept a sovereign Muslim government as a successful and productive member of this global community. But is this possible?

to be your primary question.

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 09:34:57 AM PDT

•  That is not (0+ / 0-)

a question you should ask me, I am asking you... so what is your answer?

-- Hakim Abdullah | Chief Editor

by Hakim Abdullah on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 09:47:13 AM PDT

•  and my question back to you (0+ / 0-)

(as stated in comments above, but which to this point you have NOT answered) before I can go on to answer yours is...

But what does that mean for outsiders? (1+ / 0-)
            People who do not live in such a country, but are "looking in?"

It seems to me that the answers to those questions would guide acceptance or nonacceptance of such a country by any nonMuslim country.

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 10:03:35 AM PDT

•  Uh... (0+ / 0-)

I dont think that is my quote. But to answer your question I do think this is possible or I would not be writing this kind of article. I will tell you this although you are looking at it - the article - from one perspective, have you ever considered how Muslims are understanding it and if they approve or agree?

-- Hakim Abdullah | Chief Editor

by Hakim Abdullah on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 10:15:32 AM PDT

•  First of all, (0+ / 0-)

No, it is NOT your quote. As i SAID, it is MY quote, from a comment I made before that you did not answer

Second of all, you did not answer my questions: How would a Muslim country which elects the Quran as it's principle means of legislation treat its citizens, how would it choose to co-exist with its neighbors?

Can you answer those questions?  That's the information I need to even begin considering if a nonMuslim country could accept a Muslim one.

As to this:

How could I possibly know? - I am not a Muslim.

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 10:39:25 AM PDT

•  Thats a big question (0+ / 0-)

That is a loaded question and there is no way for me to answer that question except by saying that I guess that all depends on the relationship that it has with its neighbors, which is a condition that exists for sovereign nations despite religious or secular affiliations.

-- Hakim Abdullah | Chief Editor

by Hakim Abdullah on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 11:23:08 AM PDT

•  what about the first part of the question (0+ / 0-)

how would a Muslim country treat its own citizens?

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 11:28:27 AM PDT

•  I think what goes without saying... (0+ / 0-)

is that you measure a country by how it treats lower classes. If the lower classes are treated with respect, fairly and with justice its safe to say that the upper classes are fine. Except if you are a Communist.

-- Hakim Abdullah | Chief Editor

by Hakim Abdullah on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 11:51:32 AM PDT

•  Lower classes? (1+ / 0-)
                        leftynyc

what do you mean by THAT?  Is this an economic judgement?

What about the treatment of women (who may or may not be wealthy)?

What about the treatment of gays (who may or may not be wealthy)?

What about the treatment of non-Muslims (who may or may not be wealthy)?

I'm not specifically talking about a country's treatment only of its poor.

Or, do you consider the population segments listed  above its "lower classes?"

You don't know the REAL Homer! It's all burping and neglect! -- Bart Simpson

by Pandoras Box on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 11:59:00 AM PDT

•  I can. Not a problem (1+ / 0-)
            Pandoras Box

provided it fulfills its progressive promise.  Mohammad was a visionary, and radically progressive for his culture and time.  I think he'd weep bitterly over what has come to be over the last two centuries.

"Fighting Fascism is Always Cool." -- Amsterdam Weekly, volume three, issue 18

by Noor B on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 10:13:32 AM PDT

• Recommended (141)
  • Community (70)
  • Elections (26)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Environment (26)
  • Media (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Science (23)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (22)
  • Memorial Day (21)
  • Labor (21)
  • Josh Duggar (20)
  • Economy (19)
  • Republicans (17)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Ireland (17)
  • Education (17)
  • Marriage Equality (17)
  • Climate Change (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site