View Diary: Tucker Attacks Guest's Sexuality: Receives Blistering Smackdown in Response (145 comments)

•  Tucker Was an Ass But I Hardly Saw the Other Guy (13+ / 0-)

trashing him. I gave up after 3/4 of the way through though.

Up to that point Tucker was doing a good job of playing the Republican Father and the other half dozen standard Republican propagandistic discourse methods.

Including getting the guy riled up and then being the big man who was trying to calm the crazy liberal down.

by Gooserock on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:03:47 PM PDT

•  He did "trash" him in my book. (4+ / 0-)
      mrblifil, JohnGor0, bablhous, BentLiberal

Tucker was stumbling and fuming.

Michael kept at him and didn't back down.

HotFlashReport - Opinionated liberal views of the wrongs of the right

by annrose on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:08:44 PM PDT

•  yah- (5+ / 0-)

If there were do-overs, when Tucker said (paraphrase) that after Clinton people's sex lives were off limits, Rectenwald should have came back with something along the lines of " ok, Tucker, you're not married, you're ok with government telling you no sex, you're ok with the Republican party trashing Rudy because of his indiscretions, you're ok with trashing the mormon guy because his religion is ok with polygamy?" or something like that.

Unfortunately, Rectenwald got caught in Tucker's web of bullshit.

We have no future because our present is too volatile. We only have risk management. The spinning of the given moments scenario. Pattern Recognition. ~W. Gibson

by Silent Lurker on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:09:35 PM PDT

•  Correction (4+ / 0-)

He is married.
        Hard to believe, but true...

by Silent Lurker on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:26:50 PM PDT

•  The only flaw in my view (5+ / 0-)

But who could blame it.  I was yelling and incoherent myself by the end, and I'm not easily baited.

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse. ~ Lily Tomlin

by vigilant meerkat on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:29:07 PM PDT

•  But he's still a hypocrit... (5+ / 0-)

On the September 25, 2003 "Crossfire" (1982), Carlson said, "Score one for any yuppie community. They've won the right to trample on free speech. Congress is bypassing yesterday's court ruling to put the national do-not-call list on hold and today, passed a new law designed to hang up on telemarketers once and for all." When callers-in dared him to give out his own phone number, Carlson gave a phone number and said, "You can reach me there any time. That's fine. I've defended telemarketers. Feel free to call me. Someone is always there." But the next day, September 26, 2003, he had to confess, "Well, on yesterday's program on telemarketing, some of you may have seen it. I jokingly gave out what I said was my home phone number. In fact, it was the main number of the Washington bureau of the Fox News Channel. I thought it was funny. Fox did not think it was funny. Apparently, many of our viewers called that number, hoping to speak to me. Instead, they reached a grouchy Fox switchboard operator. Well, to our viewers, I'm sorry I gave you that bad information, even in jest. Last night, Fox responded by posting on its Web site my unlisted home phone number, the phone number where my wife and four small children often answer the phone, as they did last night, during dinner, when the first of several hundred Fox viewers called to scream obscenities at them into the phone. Fox had every right to be annoyed by what I did, amusing as I thought it was. They had no right to invade my privacy or to enable their followers to threaten my family." [from the CNN.com transcripts]

from here,maybe that's why he's defending the hypocrasy of the "family values" crowd. He's a hypocrit himself.

by Silent Lurker on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:30:03 PM PDT

•  The better answer would have been (3+ / 0-)
        annrose, sberel, Silent Lurker

"Tucker, how can you say that when your career is built upon the Clinton sex scandal? How can you sit there and smugly say that when you sensationalized over Bill Clinton's sex life for all these years? You're just as hypocritical as Vitter, which is right in character with you slimeball Republican partisan hacks."

So many impeachable offenses, so little time... -6.0 -5.33

by Cali Techie on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 11:08:49 PM PDT

•  Yeah, that was nuts (0+ / 0-)

Carlson was like, weren't y'all exhausted with this from Bill Clinton?  Didn't the appetite for this go away?

Unfortunately the media thrives on sex scandals, and Carlson clearly thinks taking advantage of that is good for me but not for thee.

He strikes me as kind of a santimonious jerk, and I liked it when the guy told him to quit objectifying women.  I liked that a lot, actually.

Support the troops (for real)! write to any soldier

by sberel on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 03:54:45 PM PDT

•  I agree. Tucker was hardly trashed (10+ / 0-)

Yes, the other guy fought back, but Tucker never really relinquished the upper hand. It's amazing that the fact that the guy fought back is even noteworthy. Things are weirder than I thought...

•  The payoff was at the end. (5+ / 0-)

Fucker will be a tossin & turnin in his sleep tonight.  His blood pressure was sky high when it was over, and it won't be coming down quickly.  I find that knowledge oddly comforting.

"Fear not the path of truth for the lack of people walking on it." Robert F. Kennedy June 6th, 1968

by enough already on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:12:15 PM PDT

•  That was his attempt (6+ / 0-)

But I felt Rectenwald pushed back in such a way that exposed Tucker's inner workings. Tucker attempted to disguise it, but I came away with the impression that Tucker was rattled by Rectenwald's vehemence.

I wouldn't expect Rectenwald to be offered his own show on the basis of this performance, but I felt that his main point, Vitter is a "family values" hypocrite, successfully cut through Tucker's attempts to cloud the issue. That's the whole point. Tucker maintained "control" over the show, but ended up looking weakened.

•  If Tucker has even the remnant of a brain (5+ / 0-)
        annrose, mrblifil, sberel, CocoaLove, JohnGor0

(and I find that questionable), he would understand that he is not well-suited for what he was trying to pull off here.  Rectenwald got sucked in a couple of times and almost lost it, but who wouldn't in the face of that yapping little lapdog's relentless attack.  You are right mrblifil, he ended up looking weakened and pathetic -- trying to do it like the big boys and falling flat on his face.

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse. ~ Lily Tomlin

by vigilant meerkat on Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 08:38:52 PM PDT

•  It really wasn't a good (0+ / 0-)

moment for either of them.  Rectenwald actually did the revelation of the scandal a bit of a disservice IMHO.  He was on-target with his point about letting the people of LA have the information to decide for themselves if they've been sold a crock by someone who doesn't walk the talk that he ran on.  But he was foolish to take the Carlson's bait, especially the "I don't have to pay for it" bit.  He should have just repeated his good point and let Carlson look like the ass.

I agree with you Gooserock.