View Diary: Reason, Emotion and Politics: An Interview with Drew Westen (88 comments)

•  So....what do you think the emtional (1+ / 0-)
    jfadden

triggers would be for the press?  Wouldn't we want to apply those as well?

The thing about politics is that there is more than one audience.  You don't have to reach them all but you do have to make the effort and know who those various audiences are.  One vital audience is always the press.

Tell me how you spend your time and how you spend your money -- I'll tell you what your values are.

by oldpro on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 10:42:49 AM PDT

•  If we appeal to the media (2+ / 0-)
      sphealey, jfadden

we'll have to appeal to their interests.  And their interests are antithetical to those of the public.

But Dean would have been wise to keep mum about smashing the corporate media monopolies until after he was elected.

"When I was an alien, cultures weren't opinions" ~ Kurt Cobain, Territorial Pissings

by Subterranean on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 11:08:43 AM PDT

•  Not what I have found... (0+ / 0-)

their interests are antithetical to those of the public.

In my state, Washington, reporters are people...just people...some more jaded than others but still...just people who have jobs writing for newspapers (or TV or radio).

Reporters' interests are simple:  a good story/a good quote and a deadline.  They don't want to be used by any side or spun by any candidate or staffer but they want to like candidates and the more accessible a candidate is and the better they are with succinct, quotable comments (as-candid-as-possible comments), the friendlier the press and the better your coverage.  As staff, I ALWAYS was nice to the press, ALWAYS asked for their deadline in runing down my boss to return their calls and ALWAYS made our responses to press a top priority for time and access.  Besides making the press happy it also gets the boss' message out.  A candidate who fears or ducks the press is a nightmare and probably a loser.

The day-to-day working press has seen it all and in my experience, THAT is why they continually poll far more liberal than their owners/publishers and editorial pages.  Reality is their stock in trade...serious journalists/reporters, anyway.

by oldpro on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 01:56:32 PM PDT

•  please (0+ / 0-)

I remember clearly what Dean said when pressed about what he meant about the media, and he waffled a lot and said we need to look at the media consolidation situation, but he definitely didn't promise to smash the media empires apart. Me thinks you are rewriting history a bit.

When I tell you that I love you Don't test my love Accept my love, don't test my love Cause maybe I don't love you all that much

by jbou on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 04:25:44 PM PDT

•  Emotional triggers for the press? (2+ / 0-)
      sphealey, DrFood

I wonder what tho$e trigger$ might be. I'm $ure there i$ $omething that movitate$ the main$tream pre$$, $omething that explain$ their ob$equiou$ne$$ toward$ republican corporate $hill$.  I'm ju$t not $ure what that $omething might be.

•  Heh. Message received....very funny. (1+ / 0-)
        jfadden

See above for substantive assessment of 'triggers' ie. 'interests.'

by oldpro on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 01:42:38 PM PDT

•   the problem is talk radio, the audio under (1+ / 0-)
          oldpro

increasingly, since reagan killed the fairness doctrine, tens of millions of radio -listening americans have been hearing an uncontested and often coordinated repetition of lies, distortions, excuses, and GOP talking points that trickle up into the more visible media, the MSM.

those media employees you talk about, who have to be somewhat 'liberal' by definition to have the imagination, empathy, and curiosity to be good at what they do will  be subjected to that propaganda......but

i heard limbaugh talk about how ted koppel and he talk on the phone once in a while and how ted listens to the show when he's driving.

all these editors owners producers talking heads and media whores lazily ride the talk radio bandwagon repetition because they know it's already been  pounded into the ears of tens of milllions that day or that week. they can repeat the most irrational and hypocritical stupidities because they feel the certainty of the giant talk radio bandwagon.

that's the bandwagon that readers and watchers never listen to and completely ignore in their analysis of media and politics, even though it gives a small minority the power to really fuck things up.

•  Agree. You have to wonder, doncha, what in the (0+ / 0-)

Hell Ted Koppel want to talk to Rush Limbaugh about.  Doesn't he have any FRIENDS or is it the challenge of reaching across the 'divide' (assuming there is one) by someone who actually has, sometimes, been a decent reporter?  Notice how Andrea, Ted's daughter, is now in the MSM.  Talk about yer legacy hirings...

by oldpro on Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 10:42:01 PM PDT

• Congress (26)
  • Law (25)
  • Science (24)
  • Education (24)
  • Texas (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site