View Diary: Going After the Roadblock Republicans (319 comments)

•  Sen Kerry (2+ / 0-)
    dangangry, Susan Something

It's time for someone - you, perhaps? - to come down off their high political horse and begin representing the wishes of the American people.

These criminal need to be IMPEACHED...this war needs to be ENDED NOW. This is what Americans want.

You work for us. Why won't you listen?

You don't pay any attention to what your parents tell you, but you watch the way they live their lives...Tom Waits

by lisastar on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 11:52:25 AM PDT

•  If John Kerry (17+ / 0-)

could single-handedly stop the war in Iraq, he would.  He is doing everything he can.  John Kerry is not the enemy.

Shut up and impeach.

by HarveyMilk on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 12:01:37 PM PDT

•  didn't say he was (6+ / 0-)

I voted for him and would again

by lisastar on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 12:12:53 PM PDT

•  I can't begin to explain how uncomfortable (1+ / 0-)
        M Loutre

and anxious it makes me when senators and congresspeople come here to discuss the '08 elections in general, or narrowly specific legislation in particular.  It is even worse when it's senators like Feingold and Kerry, the ones we want to count on the most.

It's like I'm standing out in my front yard watching my house burn down, and my husband calmly says, "you know, the tires on your car won't last more than another 6 months.  I did some research and I think we can get a significant discount if we talk to this guy I know at work...."

"Yes, we will be well and truly screwed if I can't drive to work this time next year.  Dear?  It looks like the roof just caved in.  And that nice neighbor looks to be breaking the living room window in order to save our cat."

I don't expect Senators to directly initiate impeachment proceedings as that is initiated by the House.  But I do expect top prioritizing and alarm.  I would not expect my husband to, by himself, put out the fire engulfing our house.  I would appreciate him thinking about our forthcoming transportation issues.  But until the fire dept. is called and urgency met with reaction, the tires are kind of an inappropriate topic just now.

We are living during unprecedented times in this country.  A rogue administration teeming with corruption and crime and conspiracy, setting unconstitutional precedents, destroying so much of what We The People have held sacred, including our honor, our treasury, our safety and liberty, is heading toward the finish line.

Just how dysfunctional is a person, a Democratic voter, supposed to be, to pretend that getting new tires right now is job #1?  Maybe the Senator can open his cell phone and call the fire dept?

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you can succeed." -Nancy Pelosi

by Susan Something on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 12:23:15 PM PDT

•  Elected officials shouldn't have tunnel vision (10+ / 0-)

I've watched Senator Kerry address these issues with urgency. He did in fact lead the filibuster attempt against Sam Alito's confirmation to the Supreme Court. Here is is on the Senate floor in recent days: here and here.

•  What Senator Kerry has done or not done of note (1+ / 0-)
            Luftmensch

is not relevant to the point I was making.  I have mixed feelings about the Senator.  There is so much I respect about him and think he's done well.  Just the one fact alone that he's a wealthy man who could retire and live a relaxed, very comfortable life but instead chooses to serve and work hard and suffer the deluge of aggravating battles plus constituents' criticism, it's all remarkable imo.  There are things I'm disappointed in.  But all that is moot right now, other than to say it is because he's someone in whom I have high expectations that I am interested in trying to directly communicate with him.

"Tunnel vision" is exactly what is needed to accomplish certain goals.  There are times when you can go wide and times when you can go far.  Right now we need arrows that shoot high and far.

"Well, yeah, the Constitution is worth it if you can succeed." -Nancy Pelosi

by Susan Something on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 12:51:57 PM PDT

•  Im very leery about complaining (3+ / 0-)
              karenc, beachmom, MH in PA
              about lack of outrage and urgency and tunnel vision because generally amping up the urgency prevents effective action. I realize that this is where I become very conservative compared to some people here. We share the same goals but I believe Kucinich can't move us one inch toward them but John Kerry can. Kucinich may have that urgency you like but he's utterly dropped the ball when it comes to effective strategy. I've tried to explain to people my reservations about my new senator in the same terms. My frustration is not what he supports but that he often does so ineffectively. I understand he's new and to give him time but he is SO knowledgable and so right on some things, you want to see him kick ass. So Senator Kerry, please kick HIS ass for me (Sherrod Brown). Tell him to stand up and lead on trade and jobs outsourcing issues.

A new beginning for Ohio: The adults have taken over!

by anastasia p on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 05:44:54 PM PDT

•  More like (3+ / 0-)
          karenc, vcmvo2, dangangry

attacking the firemen who are trying their best to douse the flames, IMO.

John Kerry isn't perfect.  That's true.  But that's not why we're at war in Iraq.

Shut up and impeach.

by HarveyMilk on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 01:24:21 PM PDT

•  Actually, attacking the GOP via 2008 elections (5+ / 0-)
          Feanor, karenc, M Loutre, vbdietz, Tonga 23

is how to get action NOW on ending the war.  The idea is to intimidate and attack appeasers of Bush's endless war so that they flip their votes.  Frankly, I think it's pretty damned clever.  We need to peel off those votes to get to 60 (filibuster proof) and then 67 (veto proof), or maybe close enough to finally, finally get the pressure needed on the president from his own party to withdraw.  This is democracy and we live in a republic -- we can't change the president until 2009, so we have to use the tools we have to stop this war now.  I can tell you that in my neck of the woods (outside Dem activist circles), I don't hear calls for impeachment.  They just want to run out the clock on this president, who everyone agrees is a really, really bad president.

•  How would it play? (0+ / 0-)

Think about how the MSM would play "the guy who lost to Bush in 2004" (as they'd put it) "leading" (and that too would quickly become the meme) any fight to impeach.  How far would impeachment get?

I can't imagine the Senator isn't aware of that

"What is a political regime, when devoid of justice, but organized crime?" (Augustine, DCD)

by Allen on Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 07:32:45 PM PDT