View Diary: An entertainment industry perspective on Mike's actions (98 comments)

•  Alex Ovechkin of Washington Capitols (28+ / 0-)

lives across the street.  We all know he is here - Caps practice rink is on top of Ballston Common Mall, about 2/3 mile away.  He has chosen to use his house as a refuge when he is in residence, and even the kids who are hockey fans have not bothered him.

I make a distinction between knocking on someone's door and/or attempting to talk to them in a public space with a camera on when they are a public figure versus putting signs up in the neighborhood   -  I would not want press camping on my lawn to stake out Ovechkin, nor would I want people putting up harrassing signs in my neighborhood.

And there is a distinction between approaching someone in a public space and going to their house and knocking on their door.  Insofar as their is previous history between Stark and O'Reilly - and there is - it is hard to see how any reasonable person would see Stark's actions as in anyway covered by the practice of journalism:  this was personal as much as it was political.

And I wonder if taking a picture of Mr. O'Reilly while he is on his own property does not represent an additional crossing of the line.

I do not accept the rationale that because O'Reilly acts the part of the bully and the fool we have to respond in kind.  O'Reilly has been doing a pretty good job of destroying his own credibility.  I wonder how much of the Mike Stark scenario Bill O will try to shove down Chris Dodd's throat tonight -  perhaps someone should get in touch with staff (Tim Tagaris?) and make sure he is well prepped on the subject.

Stark is making himself the story - the same thing unfortunately happened in Virginia last year.

Those who can, do. Those who can do more, TEACH! If impeachment is off the table, so is democracy

by teacherken on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 10:21:54 AM PDT

•  Good point Teach. I have been reading Mike's and (7+ / 0-)

related diaries and I have very mixed feelings about the whole thing.  But, this diary and your comment brings a clear picture for appropriate response action to someone like Bill O'Reilly.  Thanks.

Never grow a wishbone, daughter, where your backbone ought to be. Clementine Paddeford

by blubryeyes on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 10:26:13 AM PDT

•  Well put: (5+ / 0-)

Mike's passion is something that is worth it's weight in gold.  And O'Reilly had to go and make it personal - which is what he does.  O'Reilly is the guy who pokes the hornet's nest with a stick, while he's safely encased in a rubber suit.

In my business experience, anyway, it's always best to destroy your enemies while NOT making it personal.

Laws are spider webs through which the big flies pass and the little ones get caught. ~Honoré de Balzac

by hopesprings on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 10:28:27 AM PDT

•  Excellent dairy, hopesprings- (5+ / 0-)

I, too have spend a career dealing with celebrities.  Although they were primarily musicians rather than actors, it means a lot to most to just be able to feel "normal" once in a while.  Accosting someone - anyone - when they're in their jammies getting the paper crosses a line of civility and decency that is better left uncrossed.

O'Reilly is vile and loathsome, and if there is one person in this world I have not met but truly despise, he would be it.  However, I like to think that we are more intelligent and civilized than he, and should conduct ourselves accordingly.  The following statement should be a given, but obviously it needs to be repeated:

JUST BECAUSE O'REILLY DOES SOMETHING DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT

As much as I admire Mike's efforts, this stunt brings him (and this site by association) down to Bill's level.  And that is not somewhere we want to be.  If there's anything to be gained from this, maybe it's that Bill will think twice before attempting or threatening a similar stunt.

But somehow I doubt it.

It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds - Samuel Adams

by Red no more on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 10:44:55 AM PDT

•  about the Virginia thing (0+ / 0-)

I respect the positions on both sides of this debate.  I have my own opinion.

I just want to ask, how did the Virginia issue w/Mike Stark & G. Allen wind up in the end?  Was Mike Stark ineffective?  How was the "Macaca" controversy unfortunate?

Just asking, not being jerky.

•  I think it's different (3+ / 0-)
        Ray Radlein, Sol Fed Joe, lamzdotes

because it was a public event.  And the "Maccaca" thing was a public event.  And a public statement.

Public territory, to my mind, is open territory.

by hopesprings on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 10:38:42 AM PDT

•  Mike Stark was not part of the original Macaca (6+ / 0-)

that was a UVa student born in Fairfax County (Allen was born in California) named S. R. Sidarth who was of South Asian background.

Mike's several confrontations with Allen became something of a distraction for the Webb campaign, which had to point out he had no relation with the campaign, not even as a volunteer.  The first incident might have worked marginally against Allen but the 2nd undid anything that was gained from the first.

Please do not confuse Stark's going after Allen with Allen's remarks towards a 20 year old college student who was functioning as Webb's "tracker" and who had introduced himself to Allen so that the now former Senator would know who he was.  It was ironic that Allen was welcoming him to Virginia, and it infuriated Webb that Allen's attitude was that the people of the area, from which Webb is in large part descended, were racist:  Sidarth had stayed with relatives of Webb the night before.

The Macaca incident damaged Allen - first his campaign handled it very badly.  Second, it legitimized talking about several things, most especially his tendency to bully people: one writer from the very Republican Richmond Times Dispatch wrote specifically about it.  Third, it connected with the piece Ryan Lizza did about Allen's racism and legitimized that story, bringing Ken Shelton, a former teammate, out in public.  Finally, when Allen then mishandled the question about his grandfather (and hence his mothe) having been Jewish, that put him on a teeter, from which he fell when he attacked Webb for the now Senator's books.

Stark was probably set up in the 2nd incident, but the press in part of the state was of him being led off in handcuffs and an implication that he was harrassing Allen.

by teacherken on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 11:08:57 AM PDT

•  I was just referring to the hotel (0+ / 0-)

the incident where he was tackled when trying to ask a question about the Macaca thing.

I didn't realize there was any measurable harm from the tackling incident.  I thought it kept the whole issue in the news and helped drive home the perception that Allen was/is a man who certainly exhibits racist tendencies.

I know very well how it all started.  It would be even more stupid for Allen to say welcome to Mike Stark and call him Macaca.  I'm not that uninformed.  I was just asking how the tackling incident was unfortunate.  I wasn't clear.  Thought it was obvious and well known where Mike Stark was involved.

thx for the response but I still am missing how it was unfortunate in the end.

•  first incident was a distraction (1+ / 0-)
            AaronBa

it may have been a net positive, albeit not a large one

the 2nd incident totally cancelled out any benefit from the first.

FWIW  both Sidarth and Stark are on a panel along with Lane Hudson who exposed what Mark Foley had been doing.  I do not plan to attend.

by teacherken on Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 12:17:33 PM PDT

•  one other thing (0+ / 0-)

I didn't mention it, but in the Virginia tackling incident, I don't think Mike Stark made himself the story, he was aggressively asking a question.  The Allen thugs tackled him and, at that point, he became part of the story.

He may be a self promoter who injects himself into a story, but I don't see how that was the case in Virginia.

hope that makes sense.......

•  my impression as well (0+ / 0-)

I said something similar below, though I put the matter in starker terms than you.

•  This is where I break with Mike Stark (8+ / 0-)

and the people that support his action against O'Reilly.

This entire escapade strikes me as self-serving. I've appreciated much of what Mike Stark has done in the past, but this crosses my line. Inflated perhaps by a false sense of importance, Mike Stark has mistaken cojones for brains.

At this point in time - on the eve of YearlyKos - this is about the dumbest action imaginable.

And, to agree with the diarist's larger point about stalking, I too work in the entertainment industry and have had the ocassion of being friends with and working with various celebs only to directly witness how stalkers can become an emotional burden and potential physical danger. O'Reilly will undoubtedly make noise about this and he will be justified... and Mike Stark will post his videos and pix of the encounter and O'Reilly will show them on air. And Mike Stark will make a name for himself... and YearlyKos will be left to clean up the mess.

•  Excellent comment! (5+ / 0-)

And as much as we all want more journalists who speak truth to power (quick plug for the McClatchy Washington Bureau who does that very well), you nailed it:

We have many better examples of citizen journalists and bloggers who understand and practice journalism with the standards and ethics that are important.  We should be more supportive of them in my honest and humble opinion.