View Diary: Universal Health Care -- it's different this time (41 comments)

•  Why 13? (2+ / 0-)
    david78209, debedb

Why stop just when STDs and substance abuse come into the picture? Makes less sense to me. Not certain that change needs to be that incremental.

"And tell me how does god choose whose prayers does he refuse?" Tom Waits

by madaprn on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 10:52:06 AM PDT

•  Incremental approach or do it all? (0+ / 0-)

That's a tactical question, I think.

But, the line between pediatrics and adult medicine is not well defined.  If you can sell pedi-care to age 13, you can probably sell it to age 18 at least.  Doctors don't even fight much over that age segment, partly because they almost never get sick.  You can't kill adolsecents if you try, which is good, because they try it on themselves.  I've heard of doctors who specialize in adolsecent psychiatry, but someone who tries to specialize in adolescent medicine is called "unemployed".

We're all pretty crazy some way or other; some of us just hide it better. "Normal" is just a setting on the dryer.

by david78209 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 10:59:35 AM PDT

•  Not true (1+ / 0-)
        david78209

I don't know what you do outside of DK or what authority you have in the realm of primary care in the US but there are many healthcare providers who specialize in adolescence including a thriving professional society

Some internists will see ages 12 and above while most pediatricians will see patients until age 18.

"And tell me how does god choose whose prayers does he refuse?" Tom Waits

by madaprn on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 11:23:49 AM PDT

•  I stand corrected. Thank you! (0+ / 0-)

I'm an internist in private practice San Antonio.  There are two docs in town listed as adolescent health specialists whom I found on the web site you linked to, both at Brook  Army Medical  Center.  The  specialty doesn't seem  to have  reached private  practice  in town yet.

I still think adolescents are pretty hard to kill.  Come to think of it, it's hard to get them to admit they're sick.  Getting  past that might be one of the big challenges of the specialty.

Thanks  for  teaching me something.

by david78209 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 01:03:24 PM PDT

•  I didn't realize you are a physician (1+ / 0-)
        david78209

What is your specialty or are you in another discipline entirely? I am an FNP.

"And tell me how does god choose whose prayers does he refuse?" Tom Waits

by madaprn on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 11:25:24 AM PDT

•  I believe strongly that 13-18 comes next... (2+ / 0-)
      madaprn, david78209

with a very small co-pay (a few dollars a month), and then 18+ with a larger (but still extremely affordable) co-pay.

Again, all basic coverage. If you want more coverage you can sign up for an additional private plan.

If you lay something like that out to the American people, I think they'd agree.

"Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

by Jonathan4Dean on Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 06:26:17 PM PDT