View Diary: Man can't pay wife's medical bills, throws her off balcony. (109 comments)

•  Going to the Gym (7+ / 0-)

Won't help you if tomorrow, someone runs into the back of your car and leaves you paralyzed. You can be slender and get a chronic illness. Strong, healthy men who work in factories for years come down with diseases due to environmental exposure.

And what about children? Do you tell a 7 year old to "buck up" and don't get those childhood diseases? Or a type 1 diabetic kid to "buck up" and don't go to the doctor and dont take insulin? Pregnant women "should buck up". Elderly people should "buck up". What kind of society we have where people think it's your fault you get sick when you are old, young, or pregnant?

And gym won't protect you from communicable diseases, tainted food, or traumatic injury.

Every other nation that has a health care system has universal care and coverage. Ask yourself, gym rat, why?

A Crushie for Democracy

by CarolDuhart on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 08:59:04 AM PDT

•  i broke my wrist playing basketball (3+ / 0-)

at the gym

•  read my post again (0+ / 0-)

i said i was for covering children.

i think adults should not depend on a government hand-out, and i don't want my tax dollars spent on "pregnant women" who i didn't have a hand in impregnating.

i am well aware that my efforts to stay healthy may not protect me against all exigencies, but not sure why it follows that other americans should be responsible for providing me with healthcare.

if you're such a fan of socialized medicine maybe you should move to the countries that have universal care and coverage. i frankly don't want the govt taking 70 percent of my income, but maybe you'd be fine with that

•  But adults are out in the cold. (3+ / 0-)

All Americans should have healthcare. Period.

We can do it.

We can blow 2 Trillion killing IRaqis and blowing up the middle east, we can spend some money caring for our own people.

Or can we? Is killing and destroying more important than helping people?

I am sick of asking this question.

Those that don't like UHC can opt out of it and hope for the best "at the gym".

•  your tax dollars? (1+ / 0-)
        esquimaux

And should your tax dollars also not be spent on schools because you don't have children?  Once you have children, don't cry because the public schools are underfunded and broken...

•  no, you are extrapolating (0+ / 0-)

here. i don't think my tax dollars shouldn't be used to pay for the healthcare of able adults thus i must also not support my tax dollars being used on public schools. wrong. they are two completely different issues, stop being so simple.

•  You are the person (2+ / 0-)
            esquimaux, yoduuuh do or do not

I wish a catastophic illness on so you can "buck the hell up".  You extrapolate a little and figure out that most people these days do not enjoy the health I saw people enjoying while I was growing up.  The amount of people I know that have major health problems is far higher than what I ever knew of during my maturation.  The cost to our country is devastating in the amout of loss of talent and productivity.  People become a burden instead of productive, contributing citizens.  IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, EVEN YOU!  So buck the hell up and get a grip on your compassion and forward thinking for the sake of our country's progress and survival.

"Do you want to tumble? Let's tumble." Stephen Colbert

by tobendaro on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 09:34:55 AM PDT

•  i plan on getting covered soon (0+ / 0-)

as soon as i am finished with my studies and get my life as an adult underway.

like i said, i am for covering children -- and for spending whatever it takes to better educate children so that they can provide for themselves once they become adults.

you are for UHC, and you should be more honest about how much more you would have your government tax us in order to achieve your beautiful socialist vision.

•  You aren't getting it (3+ / 0-)
                CarolDuhart, tgray, Themistoclea

Do you think health care insurance is going to protect you from finacial ruin in case something happens to you?  It doesn't cover and they keep taking more and more coverage away.  Even the best plans.  That is what this is all about.  Your ideas are from the 70's when health care was not an issue.  It is 2007 and the health insurance industry has been making money hand over fist  for years all while cutting coverages and corners while their clients are ruined or die. These aren't antecdotal stories happening to lazy, morally deficient people, it is real life and happening all around you.  Buck the hell up and learn about the system before you start opining.  You sound incredibly isolated and stupid.

"Do you want to tumble? Let's tumble." Stephen Colbert

by tobendaro on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 09:57:14 AM PDT

•  Go away. (0+ / 0-)

You suck.

Who was Bush_Horror2004, anyway?

by Dartagnan on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 10:01:19 AM PDT

•  I Don't Mind Paying My "Fair Share" (0+ / 0-)

but when a doctor visit is 2 days pay before anything gets done (like a treatment or prescription) is that fair?

Average middle class Americans used to be able to afford the doctor out of pocket. So I'd like to know - what the hell happened?

I used to be able to afford my own care - now I can't. What the hell happened?

Something broke and it's been broke for a while.

I'll rejoice when we finally get Universal Health Care.

I'm the person your mother warned you about.

by Unique Material on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 11:12:57 AM PDT

•  Because everyone gets sick (4+ / 0-)

That person who you don't want getting healthcare paid by "your taxes" as if he doesn't pay taxes himself, has TB and works in a restaurant. He can't take off to recover, he needs the money. He can't pay a doctor for the meds or even the visit. Want him spreading TB around? That elderly woman who paid taxes all her life-should she just die? And should poor pregnant woman just abort?-you won't pay for that either. Those poor kids will grow up to serve in the Army that protects your selfish ass when you are too old to go-wouldn't you rather they be healthy?

This is why libertarianism stinks and doesn't apply to the real world. People live in groups and suffer in groups. What is government for if not to provide for the general welfare, and that welfare being health. We can do better than Cuba. We can afford it. We should have it.

A Crushie for Democracy

by CarolDuhart on Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 09:26:45 AM PDT

•  What do you think (2+ / 0-)
        Themistoclea, SherriG

about corporations depending on government handouts?  I say switch those handouts to health care and everyone is a winner.  Corporations are for the free market, right?  How does that work while they are being propped up by government welfare?  That kind of skews or bastardizes the free market so why aren't conservatives screaming about that?  I know, I know, it is easier to pick on the poor, the sick and the indigent. And a lot more fun, right?

"Do you want to tumble? Let's tumble." Stephen Colbert