View Diary: MN knew the bridge could collapse (256 comments)

•  I KNOW I will slap my forehead and yell Doh! (0+ / 0-)

WTF is DFL?  I'm having a premature senior moment!

dissent not only welcome... but encouraged

by newfie53523 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:22:42 PM PDT

•  Democratic farmer labor (0+ / 0-)
    •  I should say we (0+ / 0-)

Minnesotans have to be a little special - the Republican party was only recently renamed from the IR - Independent Repubs.

•  thanks (1+ / 0-)
        parryander

I'm not sure I knew that, but since we may be moving to MN, I'm glad I know now.

dissent not only welcome... but encouraged

by newfie53523 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 06:51:52 PM PDT

•  well, please look us all up (1+ / 0-)
          sgary

when you do move here! Minnesota Nice can really be a bit of Minnesota Ice to those of us w/o kin buried in the county.
          There's a nice pack of Kossites 'round these parts!

•  MN Ice is right. (2+ / 0-)
            parryander, SacredCowTipper

When I moved up here it was obvious that I was not a native. I had a tan!

What I noticed most is that everyone was totally polite and friendly.......until they found out that I was actually living and staying in the state.

It took three years before our neighbors even started to subtly wave at us.

Very odd state.

Nice scenery though.

It's like going through a sewer in a glass bottom boat. We're in this shit but clearly above it!

by Kalakzak on Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 10:30:30 PM PDT

•  Interesting take (1+ / 0-)
              parryander

My best friend from childhood moved to the Twin Cities about three years ago and said the same thing.  They are originally from Chicago, and have lived in Ohio, Connecticut and Georgia.  Only in Minnesota did the get the Ice treatment.

But I still hope we move there.  And not just 'cause I love hockey.  (Went to summer hockey camp for several years in Bemidji).

dissent not only welcome... but encouraged

by newfie53523 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 06:32:45 AM PDT

•  Yeah. (2+ / 0-)
                parryander, newfie53523

I grew up down south and generally, red states or not, I have seen am initially welcoming experience for people who move in down there.

Minnesota definatly surprised me.

I am more surprised that your friend experienced this three years ago as well. I moved here in 1993 and, with the growth that the Twin Cities has seen in the past decade, I would have thought enough outsiders had finally moved in to displace that cold Nordic reception.

I still think that Minnesota is one of the better states to live in overall. There is a lot the state has to offer and it is by far the best place I have ever been to. My step-father, who has an insatiable wanderlust, ranks it in his top 5 as well.

I definatly encourage you to move up here. You'll like it.

My only complaint about it is the lack of ocean. Growing up in Florida as I did I just can not really like not having access to it.

by Kalakzak on Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 09:36:01 AM PDT

•  where are you located? (0+ / 0-)

And do join me at the MN State Fair (DFL booth, of course) on the 30th, if you can!

•  I am.... (1+ / 0-)
                parryander

located in the South East metro area - Eagan/Inver Grove Heights area.

I will be attending the Fair this year if my schedule permits me. I have some questions for Amy that I would desperatly like answered.

by Kalakzak on Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 09:30:17 AM PDT

•  so do many of us. (0+ / 0-)

If you are at the fair on the 30th - look me up at the DFL booth. (name Lisa)
                  Do stop by the booth, anyways! It's always hard to say when the politicians will actually be at the fair, so I suggest you contact her office and ask about a public forum or town meeting.