View Diary: New book on Obama published by Murdoch's publishing house (72 comments)

•  Well, the latter. (1+ / 0-)
    bigpappa10834

As it turned out, HarperCollins probably didn't profit on the Edwards book, and their advance paid to Edwards and his daughter was excessive.

•  Here we go again... (2+ / 0-)
      annefrank, KansasLiberal

Cate and Prince got $300,000 because they were the main people working on the book. The rest went to charity, can I ask you if proceeds from both of Obama's books went to charity? Oh yeah, they didn't. See what happens when you raise the standards on one candidate and not your own? The candidates aren't perfect, I know Edwards isn't perfect, neither is Obama, but these kind of petty attacks on both candidates is counter productive IMO.

"Under John, the constitution will return", Elizabeth Edwards.

by sarahlane on Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:06:06 PM PDT

•  yes (5+ / 0-)

Obama has pledged to give at least $200K from his book advance to charity, which, for a non-millionaire, is a lot of money.

•  Cool! (3+ / 0-)
          Nellcote, annefrank, KansasLiberal

Which book did he donate the proceeds to charity? Was it "Dreams of my Father" or "The Audacity of Hope"? Or, is it a future book? BTW, isn't Obama a millionaire now? I thought he did pretty well from his book sales? I mean, not like a millionaire like Edwards, but I thought he made it over that mark awhile ago. Besides the $200,000 from Edwards book called "Homes" that went to Habitat for Humanity and the International Rescue Committee, Edwards also donated the proceeds of his last book too. Plus, last year Edwards donated 30% of his income to charity. I know you must think Edwards is a bad guy because of the kinds of attacks you go at him with, I'm trying to give you a little info to hopefully change your mind about him. I'm not trying to convince you to support him, I'm just trying to let you know he isn't as bad of a guy as you may think he is.

"Under John, the constitution will return", Elizabeth Edwards.

by sarahlane on Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:25:27 PM PDT

•  Audacity of Hope (2+ / 0-)
            Geekesque, pamelabrown

Obama's advance for Dreams Of My Father was tiny; he was a nobody when that deal was signed.

Book advances are spread out over the course of timing -- signing of contract, delivery of outline, acceptance of manuscript, publication.  You don't get all the money at once.

I don't think Edwards is a bad guy, and I think he'd disdain the sanctimony of some supporters here.  He gave 350K to charity last year, which is good, but of what number is that 30%?

•  Hmmmm (2+ / 0-)
              annefrank, KansasLiberal

Well if you add up the numbers, if his income was just over one million for the year which it was, and he donated $350,000, that's 30% of his income. I'm glad you don't think he is a bad guy, although I must admit lately I get the feeling you really have it out for him, I mean, geez, you and I have been arguing for weeks. I just think this whole book deal crap is over the top criticism, and that's why I disagree with most of your opinions on the matter.

"Under John, the constitution will return", Elizabeth Edwards.

by sarahlane on Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:38:00 PM PDT

•  don't think so (1+ / 0-)
                Geekesque

I believe he just earned the Fortress money last year, and his net worth is around $29.5 million.

Still, I never, ever said he didn't give enough to charity.

•  He did earn the Fortress money last year (1+ / 0-)
                  KansasLiberal

it was $479,000 and he got speaking fees etc, it all added up to 1.25 million, after which he donated 30% of his income which was $350,000 to charity. I know what his net worth is, I'm talking about his donating 30% of his income last year. BTW, it's not the first time he's donated money to charity, or done great things in NC. Here's a comment made my Elizabeth recently on the Edwards blog:

What I do know is that it is no news bulletin that John and I have money.  It is no news bulletin that he earned every cent.  And it is no news bulletin that children in Robbins read in a nice children's library room, that high school students in Raleigh and Goldsboro do their research in nice computer labs, that Raleigh Parks and Rec centers have computer labs for residents, that the homeless in the Triangle have assistance with their shelters and Habitat for Humanity has assistance in building them homes -- among other things -- because John did not just spend what he earned on himself.

The two computer labs in Raleigh and Goldsboro that she mentioned are the two learning labs they built in NC for kids who couldn't afford tutoring and computers. One was built before Edwards even entered politics. Elizabeth tutored kids at one of the labs every day for two years. Just a few more tidbits to share. Oh, here's the link about Edwards income last year:

"Under John, the constitution will return", Elizabeth Edwards.

by sarahlane on Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 02:13:10 PM PDT

•  Link? (2+ / 0-)
          Predictor, TomP

I am not finding anything on Google about this. Please verify.

•  sure (1+ / 0-)
            Geekesque

First link when you google "obama book charity" is this.

•  This article is from April 2007 (8+ / 0-)

so he is not pledging on the new book and I am not sure this is the best article for you to link to.

Obama has enjoyed a robust household income throughout his political career in the Illinois Senate and the U.S. Senate. But for most of that time he has reported comparatively little by national standards in charitable contributions on his tax returns, records released by Obama show

Obama's household income has been inflated the last two years from the proceeds of lucrative book deals he signed shortly before entering the Senate in 2005. He pledged to turn over $200,000 of the book money to charity.

On their just-filed 2006 tax return, Obama and his wife, a hospital administrator, reported taxable income of $983,626 and claimed deductions for $60,307 in charitable donations. In 2005 they earned a combined $1.65 million and gave away about $77,300.

In 2002, the year before Obama launched his campaign for U.S. Senate, the Obamas reported income of $259,394, ranking them in the top 2 percent of U.S. households, according to Census Bureau statistics. That year the Obamas claimed $1,050 in deductions for gifts to charity, or 0.4 percent of their income. The average U.S. household totaled $1,872 in gifts to charity in 2002, according to the Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University.

Obama tax returns dating to 1997 show he fell well below that benchmark until 2005, the year he arrived in Washington.

Both Obama and his wife, Michelle, declined to respond to questions about their charitable donations

Obama released several years of past tax returns during his 2004 U.S. Senate run and has made subsequent returns public as well. Illinois' other senator, Democrat Dick Durbin, also discloses his annual taxes. Over the last decade, Durbin has consistently devoted a share of his income to charity that is above the national norm, sometimes double.

From 1997 through 2002, the Obamas reported devoting less than 1 percent of their household income to charity. In 2005, as the book-deal money poured in, they reported $1.65 million in combined income, with $77,315, or 4.7 percent, going to charity.

Only a few of the tax returns released by Obama detail the recipients of his charity. In 1998, when the Obamas reported a combined household income of $191,146 and $1,100 in cash donations to charity, the biggest gift went to Trinity. It totaled $400, about 0.2 percent of their combined income.

In 2005 they gave the church $5,000 and in 2006 it received $22,500. Over the past two years, the Obamas have claimed charitable deductions for $45,000 in gifts to reading programs; $31,000 to CARE, an international aid group; $13,107 to the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation; and $5,000 to the Muntu Dance Theatre. Michelle Obama serves on the board of directors of the South Side dance troupe.

•  So they kept nearly 40% of the advance as (1+ / 0-)
        bigpappa10834

"expenses," while claiming that every dime went to charity.  Note: paying two first time authors to write a book that you receive an advance for is not an "expense."  I have no dog in this fight, and this is the first time I've heard about the advance controversy, but it doesn't put Edwards in a good light.

•  Sounds like a poor business decision (0+ / 0-)

by HarperCollins, Adam.

•  It was. (0+ / 0-)

Business-wise, it was smart of Edwards to take an offer well in excess of what the book would have received at auction.  Morally, however ...

•  The "I gave it all to charity" claim makes (1+ / 0-)
          bigpappa10834

Edwards seem like a bit of a snake, though.

•  Oh... (1+ / 0-)
          KansasLiberal

now get on him for taking the offer of $500,000 from Harper Collins because Edwards should have known that it wouldn't sell like crazy. Give me a break. So, let's assume Obama's next book sells as well as his previous one, isn't $200,000 not enough to give, I mean, you're bashing Edwards for only giving $200,000 to charity, so will you be upset if Obama only gives $200,000 to charity and spends a few more hundred thousand in expenses for the book? Look, I'm not attacking Obama, I don't think there is anything bad about giving a dime to charity, many authors who sell incredibly well do not give a dime to charity. For you to bash Edwards for getting a certain amount of money and only donating $200,000 is beyond ridiculous. Your standards are insane, but my guess is they are totally one-sided.

"Under John, the constitution will return", Elizabeth Edwards.

by sarahlane on Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:32:08 PM PDT

•  Well Adam - (0+ / 0-)

perhaps you could get a job with HarperCollins negotiating all their book contracts, since you disagree with THEIR negotiations for Edwards' book.

Support Fox News - vote Hillary/Murdoch08