View Diary: Obesity - is it political?! (72 comments)

•  Conservatives by forcing all American families (5+ / 0-)

to include two wage earners where one once sufficed created a huge reliance on fast food. No one has the time or energy left to cook healthy wholesome foods anymore. From Reagan on, the tax structure and wage devaluation ensured domestic activities were no longer viable.

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self." --Aristotle

by java4every1 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:46:45 AM PDT

•  It's no accident (3+ / 0-)

that when Americans worked less, they weighed less.

•  Interesting. Never thought of it that way. (1+ / 0-)
        YoyogiBear
        •  Work/Weight (0+ / 0-)

The idea that "when we worked less we weighed less" is an interesting notion but I'm not certain that I'm following you.

When was "when"?  How much did people work? How much did they Weigh?  was there a steady relationship?

Even if you can't give me numbers - could you maybe tease with some more general information for me to toy around with?

Bush - Clinton - Bush - Clinton: Out of 295,734,134 (July 2005 est.) Americans, this is the best we can do?

by Yoshi En Son on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:38:15 AM PDT

•  Okay. (0+ / 0-)

How about when union membership hit an all time high in 1955?

•  Fair enough (0+ / 0-)

now to continue to get more information about this - did people work less hours per week prior to that?  What was the average work week in hours? How much did people weigh at thatpoint relative to 10 years prior?

1955 - right between the time period that women worked because of the war effort, and when women began to seriously attend school and get jobs outside of the "traditional (read: 50 years of Tradition) jobs".. how does that fit into the work week and weight relative to the decade prior and decade following.

I don't want to discount that there is a relationship - but I'd need more information about the theory before I wanted to run any regressions.

by Yoshi En Son on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 01:45:37 PM PDT

•  Sorry, but there is real evidence (2+ / 0-)
      theran, the littlest gator

that it wsn't Conservatives who made the American Families convert to a 2 wage earner model.  It really was the oportunities which were presented by the notion that women could work outside of the home.

Leave it to Beaver ended well before Reagan came to office.

You are right that the wage devaluation has TRAPPED families into the current model - but the model was not created by conservatives, it was created by liberals.

by Yoshi En Son on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:11:30 AM PDT

•  For a good reason (0+ / 0-)

Anyway, having a job doesn't preclude eating good food.  Good food being expensive and unavailable is the problem...

Ortiz/Ramírez '08

by theran on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:39:02 AM PDT

•  I'm not a big (1+ / 0-)
          theran

believer in the cost ratio of healthy and unhealthy food, and wouldn't trust any survey which tried to make a comparison of such - because eating healthy isn't about havin an avacado + Tomato salad each day. (which is one of my preffered meals), it is about draining the grease from the hamburger before using it.  It is about cooking your meats by boiling them and not frying them.  It is about eating citrus instead of gum.  Mangos - 50 cents each right now - that's cheap for food, isn't it?  Mango has got to be healthy, it's so damn good.

by Yoshi En Son on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:55:47 AM PDT

•  I agree with you (2+ / 0-)
            theran, dclawyer06

Buying fresh food and preparing it takes time and it doesn't have the immediate salty, greasy taste that the fast fooders are used too.  Therefore it is not satisfying them. I have had guests pour salt on my dish because they are so used to food with high salt content and they can't taste unless it is salty. The other factor is people don't even know how to cook because it has become a lost art.  I think part of the fascination with cooking shows is because cooking is an oddity.
                I have informally looked at my aquaintance's familiarity and use of cooking fresh foods and find it sorely lacking.  Some proudly say they cook but what they think is cooking is pulling out frozen foods and heating them or using 5 "phoney" foods to make a large, gooey dish full of fat and chemicals.

"Do you want to tumble? Let's tumble." Stephen Colbert

by tobendaro on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 05:31:20 AM PDT

•  Sorta (0+ / 0-)

You are assigning a zero cost to the time and effort involved in getting the cheap healthy food.  Depending on where you are, this may or may not be reasonable.

That said, I agree with everything else you say.

Ortiz/Ramírez '08

by theran on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 07:14:20 AM PDT

•  Cooking (0+ / 0-)

Healthy does not take long.  Especially if you are just trying to be "healthier than buying a big mac".

Life happens at the margin, cut down fat, sodium, cholesteral by even a little bit can have a huge impact on your life.

True, if you find yourself accustomed to going to nice sit-down restraunts and eating a steak every day: then preparing home cooked meals might take time, but in this case you are likely more concerned with money than the healthiness.

I cook. My meals are all very simple and take about 5 minutes worth of effort.

Here are a few of my favorite recipies:

Lasagna, I make my own Spinach Lasagna merely by using 2 jars of my favorite Sauce, 24ish oz of Ricotta cheese, Chopped Spinach (absolutely make sure to drain the water first if you are going to use frozen), 16 oz of Mozz cheese.. 2 eggs.  Mix eggs, spinach, ricotta into a bowl - then layer the sause, noodles, cheese.. I usually add one layer of mushrooms or bell peppers to add variety.. then top with Moz. The entire prep time takes less than 10 minutes and it can sit in the oven for 40 minutes doing its thing... very simple and almost no dishes to wash.

Tomato and Avacado pockets: trust me, this is yummy.
              Dice a tomato and an avacado, mix, add a splash of your favorite vinegrette dressing and some crumbled feta cheese.  Toast up some Pita bread and fill the Pita halves with the mix..  very yummy indeed and takes all of 3 minutes before you have food in your mouth.

A salad which I call a medeterranian salad, though in reality I just sorta made it up myself: Shred purple cabbage, add Diced tomatoes and Avacadoes, splash generously with lime juice.. takes almost no time to make.

and for snacks - ok this one has a higher cost than chips - get Pita and carrot sticks, and try out some spicey hummus to dip them into.  There are lots of different types of hummus - but I preffer the spicey varieties..  give it a try, you might be surprised at how good it is..

by Yoshi En Son on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 01:21:59 PM PDT

•  Fifty cents apiece? (0+ / 0-)

I don't know where the hell you live, so bear with me.

It's a dollar a piece on sale where I live.

And the only supermarket I can walk to(no car natch), prides itself on overcharging for produce.

Eating healthy is about watching your calories, mainly, and getting vitamins smartly (total cereal, anyone??).

Even for antioxidants, vegetables lose out.

•  It certainly was not created by liberals. It was (0+ / 0-)

a nonfactor until Reagan, Michael Milken, leveraged buyouts, union busting, zero antitrust, HMOs, pension raiding, hedgefunds etc., etc., etc. Before Liberals (like FDR)we had a very prescient look at the conservative model in the depression. Americans were barely eating at all.

by java4every1 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:07:57 PM PDT

•  this and the farm bill (2+ / 0-)
      theran, dclawyer06

the farm bill used to promote and help family farms that were better stewards of the land and grew better food that was easier to get.

in the nixon era the bill changed dramatically, largely written by big commodieties and corn and soy traders cargill etc. so no surprise that public policy has turned against good food and against the family farm

Of all the diversions of life, there is none so proper to fill up its empty spaces as the reading of useful and entertaining authors. ~ Joseph Addison

by the littlest gator on Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:17:23 AM PDT