View Diary: levers and fulcrum points (44 comments)

•  If you agree with me (26+ / 0-)

and expect more of our candidates for President...throw a tip in this tip jar and recommend this diary.

I will keep writing with ever more specificity about the fulcrums and levers for change, and I will listen to the stories you have to tell about what brings you to the table, what motivates you.

It is too easy to say "wait until January of 2009."

I don't agree with that point of view. I don't think that even our heroes should be exempt from accountability.  That's the mark of a leader, to grow and listen and to change.

What we are embarking on will not be a course that follows a straight line, but, at some point, there has to be a line in the sand.

We didn't vote for this.

Markos is right. With George Bush at 28% there is no reason for cowardice about our core principles. Why does that attain?

We must push forward. It won't be perfect, but we need to work our leverage and the fulcrums of power at every level. We need to be pragmatic and bold.

At the end of the day, we all have our reasons for doing what we do.

I would like to think that we are all, on some level, hungry for peace, working for justice, and true believers in the founding principle of our nation: all men are created equal and have certain inalienable rights among them life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

•  it's an old saw (7+ / 0-)

but I think there's a lot of truth to it.

Tip O'Neill: 'All politics is local' all sustainable change really starts from the bottom up, not the top down. Howard Dean lost something when he became part of that machine. They all do.

But each one shifts the weight and helps tip the giant ship of state, gradually. I just hope we have a chance to see the ship right itself. Time is running out.

socialist democratic progressive pragmatic idealist with a small d.

by shpilk on Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 07:04:06 PM PDT

•  Kid, I rec and tip your diaries even when (6+ / 0-)

I don't agree with you (which doesn't happen very often).

Thanks for this one.  Spot on.

•  KO (4+ / 0-)
      kid oakland, shayera, sockpuppet, offgrid

I'm sorry I missed this live- it should be FP IMHO. I totally agree with everything you say here. We must accentuate the commonalities among us: good schools, healthcare, living wage not to mention clean air & water. If we could get everyone going together on these we could get over the devisiveness that is being practiced. The reason I am a liberal democrat is because that label most nearly fits my true ideal- we're all humans with red blood & bones & a mile of intestines :) and it doesn't (shouldn't anyway)signify that people worship differently or have different shades of skin or different bank balances or different eye color. I thought democrats shared my values.
      I got a call from from Deans people asking for money recently. I started laughing "You must be high! I've given money since the 2000 campaign, money I could've used to buy ME things. I gave it freely on the promise that you would 'do better' & 'take back congress'. Well I've seen now we have the majority just what you think 'better' is. Well to me it's just more of the same & I refuse to spend my money on that. NO, Thank you, Good-bye"

The hippies had it right all along and it's about time the media, the politicians, the culture as a whole sent out a big, wet, hemp-covered apology.

by RiaD on Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 09:51:09 PM PDT

•  RiaD (1+ / 0-)
        RiaD

You really should give Mark Morford props for your tag line.

I don't mean to be pesky, but it's a great quote and Morford should get the credit.

....carry on .....

"If impeachment is off the table, so is democracy." -teacherken

by offgrid on Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 08:20:15 PM PDT

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
          offgrid

if you can figure out what to leave out, still make the point & add his name I'd change it in a heartbeat. I tried to link to the article.
          The problem is not enough characters to add his name.

I have provided a link to everyone who has commented on it- check my history!

Suggestions?

by RiaD on Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 03:54:24 AM PDT

•  Hmmm... (1+ / 0-)
            RiaD

I wasn't aware that there was a limit on space.

I don't know any tricks to add more copy. The only thing that I can think of is to add the name manually above the quote.

No biggie. I just loved that Morford column ad thought that other's should know where it came from.

Thanks for using it!

"If impeachment is off the table, so is democracy." -teacherken

by offgrid on Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 12:06:49 PM PDT

•  Hey! I got it!!! (1+ / 0-)
              offgrid

thanks for making me think about this again! I took out one (superfluous word & put in ... in its place- Voila! it Worked!!
              thanks,
              ria

The hippies had it right all along...it's about time the media, the politicians, the culture as a whole sent out a big, wet, hemp-covered apology.MMorford

by RiaD on Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 03:03:51 PM PDT

•  Cool! (1+ / 0-)
                RiaD

Morford is a gem, as is Don Rasmussen's Bad Reporter, at the Chron.

Those two, along with Stewart, Colbert, and Olbermann, keep me sane.

Thanks RiaD. I didn't mean for this to be a big deal!

"If impeachment is off the table, so is democracy." -teacherken

by offgrid on Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 04:15:25 PM PDT

•  I agree (1+ / 0-)
                  offgrid

& I found all of your list from being here at dKos. Sometimes I feel I'm a dKos-ollegiate with the education I've gained here :-)

& no big deal at all. I'd worried about it when I first quoted him, then quit trying. I guess I just needed time & your reminder ;-}

by RiaD on Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 05:48:22 PM PDT