View Diary: The Nightmare of DHS´s *Secure Flight* (301 comments)

•  The Killing off of Commercial Airlines Business (43+ / 0-)

I would think the Airlines would know this could really hurt their business and be fighting hard to stop this bullshit. They think travel is down now, just wait till this goes into effect. Neither I or my wife will fly now because of her last exp. of being strip searched while on Oxy. and in a Wheelchair. It was damn near impossible for her to get undressed and dress by herself, and they had no reason to suspect her of anything other than my on writings on the blogs.

-8.63 -7.28 "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

by OneCrankyDom on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 11:51:35 AM PDT

•  I was looking to see if (7+ / 0-)

someone would highlight this issue.  Thanks OCD.

My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total. Barbara Jordan 1974

by gchaucer2 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 12:09:47 PM PDT

•  And Jeebus, (12+ / 0-)

I am so sorry about your wife's experience.  This country is out of control.

by gchaucer2 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 12:10:45 PM PDT

•  So sorry (18+ / 0-)

Stupid airline security (pre and post TSA). Once I was escorting an elderly lady and her husband from California to Florida. She was in a wheelchair, unable to walk as the result of a stroke; she could barely move her arms and she was barely able to talk. When we got to airport security I had to lift her out of the wheelchair so that they could wand her bottom, which was covered in a diaper!

It all comes from looking for things instead of people. I have yet to have the privilege of flying with El Al but I know to be prepared for hours worth of talking with their security people. They talk to people, they are trained to look for certain signs, signs that a friend who has been through FBI training says that anyone can learn to see. But talking to people, looking them in the eyes, is just not as efficient, or lucrative, as using machines to look for things (which are often missed anyway). Imagine if someone had talked to Mohammed Atta for a couple of minutes. Think he could have gotten on that flight?

Everyone does better when EVERYONE does better.

by Blue Patriot Woman on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 12:27:54 PM PDT

•  Sadly it was airlines' cost-cutting (6+ / 0-)

that led them to push for more lax security measures pre-9/11.

Government and laws are the agreement we all make to secure everyone's freedom.

by Simplify on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 12:52:52 PM PDT

•  When last I flew out of Hawai'i... (7+ / 0-)

..I had an interesting experience. I walked through the "scanner" (you know, put your shoes in the plastic bin, like a good American, wait for the signal, walk through, make sure you have your boarding pass with you). Iwalked through and handed my boarding pass to the TSA guy, but it was for the second leg of my flight. He barked "NO, I NEED YOUR BOARDING PASS SIR OR YOU ARE NOT GETTING ON THIS FLIGHT!". I was very embarrased but realized my error and pulled the OTHER boarding pass out of my pocket. He smiled as if to say "That's right, that's right now your with the program".  I picked up my shoes, cell phone, watch, carry on and reassembled myself while sitting in a cold aluminum chair. As I did I saw a little old Hawaiian lady in a wheelchair being handled by a TSA agent who was "wanding" the lady, and pushing her away from the wheelchair so she could "wand" her better.

Minor annoyances to be sure -- like when I had 10 ounces of passionfruit syrup confiscated because I forget the "no liquid unless its three ounces" rule. But still if you had told me at age 16 that my country would be doing this, I would have laughed in your face.

"I am my brother's keeper. I am a Democrat." -- That's your slogan, Democrats.

by Bensdad on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 02:45:53 PM PDT

•  Was this at the Kona airport? (2+ / 0-)
        greenearth, LynneK

If so, then we may have met the same assbite. Had a rotten experience last week (just posted about it in the thread about the music scholar). I'm still PO'd as I imagine you are, too.

This is really scary stuff. We have given absolute power to a bunch of bullies and punks. Papers? permission? To travel within my own country? Jeebus.

It is important that people know what you stand for. It's equally important that they know what you won't stand for. ~~ Mary Waldrop

by Purple Priestess on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 06:44:32 PM PDT

•  No, Hilo..... (2+ / 0-)
          greenearth, LynneK

...but for all I know he bounces around. There is a a really incredibly nice guy at the Hilo airport. He is just as diligent as the others, but quite friendly. Sadly, he's leaving and appears to be training this guy. This guy confiscated my passionfruit syrup, which is fine, but then he gave me a public lecture about it when I clearly and quickly relinquished it.

Of course, I find the very idea that passionfruit syrup would be confiscated to be kind of comical. It's the kind of overkill that these numb nuts engage in while ignoring the real dangers.

"I am my brother's keeper. I am a Democrat." -- That's your slogan, Democrats.

by Bensdad on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 06:57:23 PM PDT

•  He might bounce around... (3+ / 0-)
            mataliandy, greenearth, LynneK

...especially if he can play dictator in two places! To be fair, there was one very nice fellow in Kona, too. He looked a bit embarrassed by Napoleon Jr., actually.

They took my two small jars of jam (still sealed) because they were .2 oz. over the limit. Apparently, pineapple jam is just as dangerous as passionfruit syrup! Geez.

by Purple Priestess on Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 07:03:58 PM PDT

•  I had a similar and comical (0+ / 0-)

experience in Austin.

In my toiletries kit, there was a small nail file with a point on the end.  The thing was tiny, and made of very thin aluminum (i.e. it bends).

They took it from me because it could be "used as a knife". I volunteered to let them stab me with it (since it would break in half at the contact) but they didn't find that very funny.

After threatening to detain me if I "continued to cause problems" I gave it to them and went on my way.

Amazing...