View Diary: Why Gore Will Not Run (95 comments)

•  gore let us down in florida (3+ / 0-)
    northsylvania, algebrateacher, xysea

he won the state of florida. statistics don't lie, republicans do. and gore lost my backing when he failed to stand up for a fair election, where all the votes are counted. that's the foundation of our democracy, and if we cannot expect our votes to be counted, then our votes don't count.

kerry may have been a war hero, but he also capitulated to bush and the gop's plan to rig the vote. i have faith in my fellow man, and find it hard to believe that so many people would feel safer with the chickenshit george bush at the helm rather than a proven leader. both gore and kerry had been to nam while bush was awol. democrats afraid to discuss this openly and angrily now have the gop leaders they so richly deserve.

"Does the [Iraq war] make America safer?" --Senator John Warner "I don't know, actually." -- General David Petraeus, in his testimony before the Senate

by jsepeta on Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 11:26:59 PM PDT

•  Right... Gore's candidacy would reopen old wounds (2+ / 0-)
      algebrateacher, begone

... and maybe those wounds OUGHT to be reopened.

But there are some powerful people who really don't want that to happen, on both sides of the aisle.

•  Perhaps the greatest fear of a Gore candidacy is (3+ / 0-)

the reopening of wounds.  I wonder if a Gore nomination would reopen the whole question of the Bush administration's legitimacy to the point where all other issues, up to Iraq, would be drowned out.

I understand that HBO is going to have a film or series about the 2000 election and Florida in particular next year.  I wonder what effect it would have on a Gore candidacy or nomination.

Why Gore Will Not Run is my latest diary. I would appreciate your comments, even long after it "passes."

by algebrateacher on Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 11:34:17 PM PDT

•  It could also be argued (1+ / 0-)
      algebrateacher

that the rule of law is essential to our democracy as well.

While I know that everyone here laments the events of Florida, and much more so the tragedies that Bush has wrought, I shudder to think what could have happened if Gore did not back down, and did not accept the Supreme Court's terrible and bizarre position.

If anything, be proud of Gore for doing what he thought would keep the unity of the country intact, and scorn the supreme court for their decision.

Personaly I think he's in a much better position to heed his calling now, and I would loathe him giving it up in order to clean up the mess that the Bushies are going to leave us.

•  I'm very proud of him and... (2+ / 0-)

...I wouldn't blame him at all if he turned down the monumental, almost super-human task of restoring America to the pre-Bush "slash and burn" years. There's so much damage to heal, it is almost impossible for one man in one (or two terms)--or even a generation, to heal! We may even be as we used to say in the Navy "BCM": Beyond the capability of maintenance.

08.04.07 It took the Titanic longer to sink than for the 110th Congress to surrender to Bush.

by ImpeachKingBushII on Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 11:55:20 PM PDT

•  But would he loose his "bully pulpit"? (3+ / 0-)
          latts, Barcelona, ImpeachKingBushII

He's getting a lot of attention now because we're all waiting and hoping he'll run.  We're waiting to see if he'll win the Nobel Prize as a precursor to his run for President.  If he chooses not to run, do we still hear about him or will the news be 100% coverage of who IS running?

His message will get lost if he chooses not to run.  No other candidate will discuss it.  Gore will endorse one, there will be a brief discussion of environmental issues on the campaign trail (lip service).

I am burnt out from last year's elections (two local candidates).  I will recharge for Gore.  I will go back to bed for the rest of the candidates and do only what I'm asked by the local party, but only if I don't have something else to do.  A Dem will win the White House, but business as usual will leave me cold and disenfranchised.  A Dem in the WH will be like have a Dem majority in Congress - and we'll all be wondering what is it good for anyway?

Sorry to sound so depressing but without Gore I will feel the cause is lost and my carbon footprint reductions will be meaningless.  Game over.

•  Gore fought (17+ / 0-)

to the limits of what the law allowed.

Under Florida law, a statewide recount required the permission of both candidates. Bush refused to consent. So Gore was forced to petition for a recount in each individual county, which he proceeded to do.

The Supreme Court verdict was unprecedented and unconstitutional. But once the high court had spoken, there was no recourse, except to denounce the decision--a step which would have provoked a constitutional crisis and possibly, civil war.

Even before the verdict was handed down, polls taken indicated 53% of Americans wanted Gore to concede. Afterwards, that figure jumped to 76%.

Gore did not fail us. We failed ourselves. For thirty years we neglected the process of our government, while the Republicans methodically infiltrated and broke the system down from the inside. The 2000 election was the beginning, and it's only gotten worse since then.

•  HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT, ASSHOLE? (2+ / 1-)
      algebrateacher, 0wn
      Hidden by:
      lams712

36 FUCKING DAYS?  During which practically everyone was calling him to throw in the towel.  What the fuck should have he done? Called for an armed rebellion? You are a fucking Monday-morning quarterback.

•  amen! (2+ / 0-)
        TLS66, algebrateacher

History is a comedy to those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel. --Henry Walpole

by Zacapoet on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 07:22:21 AM PDT

•  Warning on the language/name-calling (1+ / 0-)
        lams712

Even if someone deserves it here at dkos, and I have not checked this out regarding the poster, we must choose to be civil.

It is what makes us different.

by algebrateacher on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:07:09 AM PDT

•  TRed for ad hominen attack... (0+ / 0-)

...using the term "ASSHOLE" and calling commenter a "fucking Monday-morning quarterback". Please refer to the FAQs regarding troll comments. Ad hominen attacks are not permitted.

"...if my thought-dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine...." {-8.13;-5.59}

by lams712 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 03:23:13 PM PDT