View Diary: "Accidental" Giant Navy Swastika Building Was No Accident (190 comments)

•  OMG (3+ / 0-)
    citizenx, JFinNe, drbloodaxe

Four L-shaped buildings, built almost 40 years ago, that seen from the air have a resemblance (if you fill in bits with your mind) to a symbol used by an evil tyranny over 60 years ago.

Is this news?  Is this worth worrying about?  What shall we do about it, blow up the buildings?  Maybe we need to just stop building buildings altogether.  After all, Speer was an architect.  Hitler was interested in architecture.  Building things shows Nazi sympathies.

If you have an eye for such things, you can find swastikas everywhere.  Parquet floors and decorated carpeting are particularly common sites.  So what we really have to believe is that there's a Secret Nazi Conspiracy in the decoration industry.

I also note that the Nazis used the eagle (the "Reichsadler") as a symbol.  I think we ought to be on the lookout for eagles in art and architecture.  Maybe the Conspiracy has even sneaked those Nazi eagles onto our currency!

•  Hey! (0+ / 0-)

Colbert uses an eagle as his symbol!  And there's a lot of red in his studio... hmmmm....

Got a problem with my posts? Email me, and let's resolve it.

by drbloodaxe on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 07:48:29 AM PDT

•  Giant swastika ! haha! (3+ / 0-)
        Radiowalla, AmericanHope, cosette

Very funny subject this. My wife's an Askhenazi Jew and will inherit one day a shoebox of photos of dead relatives who died in the Holocaust, the names of whom have been forgotten.

•  No, not really very funny (2+ / 1-)
          JFinNe, drbloodaxe
          Hidden by:
          AmericanHope

I don't find it amusing either -- that this nutter Segol is trivializing Nazism by pretending to find evidence of Secret Nazi Architects all over the place.

He's gussied this thing up to look like "proof", but there isn't any proof of a single Nazi connection, of any intent to propagandize Nazism (and how is this possible when the pattern is only visible from the air?) or really anything but his ability to see what he likes where he likes.

•  Are you aware (3+ / 0-)
            AmericanHope, Occulus, occams hatchet

that when a building is designed, it is drawn from the air?

Coincidentally, a lot of cathedrals all over the world look like a cross when viewed from the air. What a coincidence!

•  And a lot (0+ / 0-)

of buildings look like rectangles.

The building was designed as a L.  Then they happened to figure the needed 4 of them.

Got a problem with my posts? Email me, and let's resolve it.

by drbloodaxe on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:33:15 AM PDT

•  4 accidental things happening at the same time (0+ / 0-)

come on! its just total coincidence.

gosh, i cant believe you're actually typing that.

those were good times, as far as we knew --colbert

by AmericanHope on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:42:00 AM PDT

•  What 4 accidental things? (0+ / 0-)

The L shape was not an 'accident'.

The 'accident' if it wasn't actually the work of a particular anti-Semite at the architectural firm, would simply have been in the single arrangement that left them in what approximates a symbol also used by one specific bunch of bad guys in history.

Got a problem with my posts? Email me, and let's resolve it.

by drbloodaxe on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:45:00 AM PDT

•  4 l-shaped buildings (1+ / 0-)
                    Troutfishing

god it absolutely amazes me how 'liberals' here are so painfully trying to explain away this crap.

look. its not an accident that a $2mil+ 1960s dollars (what is that, like $100mil today?) project would accidential construct FOUR BUILDINGS in a shape of a swastika on a military campus.

first you make L building, which is a choice in itself. then you make another, at a specific angle, another choice in itself. then--totally by accident--you construct a 3rd, at a specific angle.

and then, by sheer chance, a 4th. and...there you have it. an accidently swastika that nobody flying over the building could have ever seen.

and if you believe that, i got a bridge to sell you from any angle.

those were good times, as far as we knew --colbert

by AmericanHope on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:56:00 AM PDT

•  Your not addressing the facts of the case. (0+ / 0-)

Your approach would carry more weight if you referred to details and used logic rather than invective and innuendo.

"He's gussied this thing up to look like "proof" "

- Well, how ? Elaborate.

"but there isn't any proof of a single Nazi connection..."

- I haven't alleged any Nazi connections.

"of any intent to propagandize Nazism"

- None has been proposed.

"(and how is this possible when the pattern is only visible from the air?)"

- Ever had a ride in an "aero-plane" ?

•  I agree (0+ / 0-)

"He's gussied this thing up to look like "proof" "

Trout is right.  This doesn't actually look like proof at all.

but there isn't any proof of a single Nazi connection..." - I haven't alleged any Nazi connections.

"of any intent to propagandize Nazism" - None has been proposed.

Well, except for the several paragraphs in which he specifically talks about Nazism, and later comments in which the thought that the Rear Admiral might have specifically pushed things through on his own agenda.  But obviously, that agenda had nothing to do with Nazi connections or propaganda.

And, for the record, I've ridden in a lot of airplanes, and never noticed any swastikas before, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Got a problem with my posts? Email me, and let's resolve it.

by drbloodaxe on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:51:30 AM PDT

•  My my, grinding that axe, eh ? (0+ / 0-)

"I've ridden in a lot of airplanes, and never noticed any swastikas before" - So, your point is ?...

"This doesn't actually look like proof at all." - some people on this post actually have bothered with the factual content of what I've posted.

You seem reluctant to do that.

"Right.  This isn't about Nazism at all, which is why nothing in Trout's diary talks about Nazis or connrctions to Nazism. " - Your case would be more convincing if you grabbed actual quotes from what I've written. Then I could actually respond in one way or other. Just saying.

•  So I take it (1+ / 0-)
          JFinNe

You didn't approve of the Colbert episode that Kos showed up on and played along with Colbert depicting him as a Nazi on either?

While I can certainly see that you wouldn't find either funny,  there are more people in this world to whom a swastika does NOT symbolize the Nazi party than there are to whom it does, just as there are more people to whom rainbows aren't instantly associated with gays.

Just because a particular symbol is something you've internalized as evil and hateful doesn't make that same symbol instantly hateful and evil to anyone else, even if they know that it can be used in reference to something in history that is pretty much the epitome of evil.

Given the vast numbers of atrocities committed by the Christian Church against Jews and centuries of attempted pogroms and attempts to destroy Judaism, how can you view a swastika as more evil than a crucifix?  Surely the two should at least be on the same level of loathsomeness?

I know you'll say this is off topic, but my point is that if you're going to get all bent out of shape over the one symbol, you might as well get all bent out of shape over both symbols.

Got a problem with my posts? Email me, and let's resolve it.

by drbloodaxe on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:43:12 AM PDT

•  I first saw this sometime last year (0+ / 0-)

foraging through the Google Earth forums.

Why it's just hitting the MSM now I have no idea, let alone...

...how old is the building?

•  its not an accident (1+ / 0-)
      Joy Busey

thats why the diary gives hard evidence to prove it.

read thru the comments/thread. you'll learn something.

those were good times, as far as we knew --colbert

by AmericanHope on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 07:54:41 AM PDT

•  Evidence? (1+ / 0-)
        Cthulhu

There's no evidence of anything in this diary.  All that Segol came up with was architectural plans which show the layout of the buildings, which -- if you're already primed to look for swastikas -- look like a swastika.  (On the other hand, if you were primed to look for "four L-shaped buildings", they might look like four L-shaped buildings.)

That's not evidence.  Evidence would be a letter saying "Hey, I think it would be a great idea to build four buildings in the shape of a giant Nazi symbol!" or some other direct evidence of intent.  All Segol's got is the claim that "anybody could have seen this".  When the building has existed for 40 years without anybody noticing anything particularly odd about the design, that's obviously ''not'' true.

•  i wonder if those on campus (0+ / 0-)

would say the same thing. after all, the lived there and you sure as heck didnt. i dont want to get into anti-semitism in the military, but i would hope you understand the history.

my first comment i think speaks the best to this issue. "WWII is over. but anti-semitism is forever"

needless to say, nobody says YOU have to recognize nor care about it.

those were good times, as far as we knew --colbert

by AmericanHope on Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 08:34:08 AM PDT

•  So, you'd of course be willing to wear... (0+ / 0-)

That "not swastika" shape on a T-shirt in public ?

If not, why not ?

"There's no evidence of anything in this diary.  All that Segol came up with was architectural plans which show the layout of the buildings" - Oddly, those plans contradict the Navy's account on the origin of the building which, in case I need to remind you (and it seems that I do need to do that) is the main subject of my post.