View Diary: Democratic pork (82 comments)

•  Corruption in Washington State (5+ / 0-)

Seems to me we got bad Republicans in Washington's 4th, 5th and 8th districts to take out before we get the luxury of weeding out our own.

How come there's no front page stories about "Doc" Hastings' shenanigans?

David Broder commented that this was "terrible news, for Democrats".

by AdmiralNaismith on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 09:47:34 PM PDT

•  Amen (0+ / 0-)

Baird and Dicks need a wakeup call no doubt. Dicks has been my Congressman since I was in diapers 30 years ago. He has lost touch with the district. But Hastings and the Sheriff need to go first.

Check out www.americasolidarity.org

by IvyTodd on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 10:04:40 PM PDT

•  Uh uh....Dicks has NOT lost touch with his (0+ / 0-)

district.  He had a scare about 10 years ago or so but learned that lesson fast.  He's in touch...

Tell me how you spend your time and how you spend your money -- I'll tell you what your values are.

by oldpro on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 11:28:43 PM PDT

•  When was the last time Dicks was in the district? (0+ / 0-)

Or better yet had an open town hall in the district?
          The last one I can recall was at Jason Lee Middle School about six or seven years ago and he mostly called on little old ladies that he would then recall stories from the good old days.
          I'll give props to Norm's new staff they are reaching out and trying. But for a while there it was a bunch of arrogant little pricks hold Norm's well...

Check out www.americasolidarity.org

by IvyTodd on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 11:32:21 PM PDT

•  Let's see..he's been to Port Townsend at (1+ / 0-)
            RonK Seattle

least twice this year, Port Angeles several times, Bremerton, etc. several times, Grays Harbor at least once, dunno about his travels off the peninsula in your area, Ivy.  Why not have your Dem's Club/Central Committee invite him?  See if he turns you down...

by oldpro on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 11:41:01 PM PDT

•  Well (0+ / 0-)

If this is true I then apologize. I live in Pierce County (by far the largest % of his district population-wise, definitely not size wise, and certainly the more liberal section that may ask tough questions) and cannot recall him being in a public setting of late anywhere nearby.
              While Baird has been blasted of late for his stance on Iraq, as wrong as it may be, he has well-publicized and attended town halls all across his district. Same with Adam Smith, who had several this summer. These were not meeting with local dems or safe settings where he's likely to get softball questions.
              That is all I have asked for by my Congressman. Especially concerning Iraq. He has a heavily militarized district and Fort Lewis has lost almost 100 soldiers this year alone. Smith has attended two town hall forums centered on Iraq alone.

Check out www.americasolidarity.org

by IvyTodd on Tue Oct 16, 2007 at 12:00:08 AM PDT

•  Snap! (0+ / 0-)

We must defeat them over there, or they'll follow us home ... hide under our beds ... and grab us by the ankles when we get up to pee.

by RonK Seattle on Tue Oct 16, 2007 at 08:16:35 AM PDT

•  Maybe because it's Seattle Times? (0+ / 0-)

They do mention Slade Gorton, but fail to give his party. However, this appears to be the first in a series. I'm sure they'll get to Doc.

•  Absolutely (1+ / 0-)
      Lefty Mama

Sheriff Hairspray in the 8th is the most likely to go, but we need to put up strong challenges to Doc in the 4th and McMorris-Rodgers in the 5th.

I live in Baird's district and am not too thrilled about him, but I don't see any credible challengers stepping up to the plate yet.

•  Baird represents my district too (3+ / 0-)
        tietack, gretel, Crisitunity

and I have to say that there is not going to be any credible challenger to Baird in a Democratic primary.  That is not to say that this district can't get rid of him since it didn't take much to get rid of Jolene Unsoeld but the result was the truly awful Republican Linda Smith.  I would rather people focus on getting rid of the Bush Dogs in True Blue Congressional Districts like Henry Crueller's than focus on Democrats like Baird who are a fairly good match for their district.  It wasn't too long ago when we were represented by pro-life Democrat Don Bonker.  This is not a good blue district despite the strong union presence.

One bad thing was a train got crashed in New Jersey. People won't be late for work though, because the governor lady said, "I'm sending in more trains!"

by msstaley on Mon Oct 15, 2007 at 11:35:25 PM PDT

•  A Wingnut won in a Write-in campaign (0+ / 0-)

Not only was Linda Smith a religious wingnut, she beat Jolene in the general in '94 in a WRITE-IN campaign, ref http://en.wikipedia.org/...

Despite some good D territory in Vancouver and bits and pieces elsewhere, this is still heavily wingnut, as in Dobson/Falwell friendly. There's a popular billboard on I-5 run I think by a local farmer which makes Bush seem like a raving Commie.

•  I-5 Billboard (3+ / 0-)
            tietack, gretel, clouz22

I actually know the exact billboard you're speaking of.  It's when you're driving through Kelso Washington and it quotes something from the bible about sinners going to hell or something like that.

One must be very careful driving up or down I-5 through Kelso for that reason, it's a speed trap and the cops will take you straight to jail if they don't like the way you look.  I had the great misfortune of that happening to me as I was speeding along to get back to the small liberal arts college (Reed) that I attended one Saturday night of a 3 day weekend after visiting my folks in Seattle for a day some 15 years ago.

Suffice to say, as a minority I really wasn't treated very well by the Kelso cops who stuck a gun to my head as I was trying to find my license in a state of panic.  Their excuse was that from the rear, I looked to them like a Blank Panther so to get out of the car since I was going straight to jail.  (whatever, i'm Asian and had dreads at the time) I'll never forget that holding cell where the drunken rednecks kept their distance from me like I had cooties, and the 3 nights I spent locked before I could see a judge with a 8 other types that were doing time for their 8th repeat offenses (mostly burglary, carjackers, and repeat drug offenders waiting to be transferred to prison) although they treated me a hell of a lot better than the police and were actually friendly.

Anyway, moral of the story ... you think Washington is a blue state, but it's more like Seattle is heavily liberal and King Country heavily democratic enough to carry the rest of the fundamentalist, homogeneous, bible thumpers  still living 45 years in the past  (Black Panther?!?  Pleeeaaze) that I would agree makes the shrub look liberal.  Take it from someone that had to live it.

•  Actually, that billboard is more towards (2+ / 0-)
              tietack, gretel

Centralia/Chehalis which is a very Republican area.  They have never heard of a thing called zoning.

by msstaley on Tue Oct 16, 2007 at 07:46:58 AM PDT

•  The famous "Uncle Sam" billboard (0+ / 0-)

by RonK Seattle on Tue Oct 16, 2007 at 08:51:56 AM PDT

•  I-5 billboard (0+ / 0-)

The farmer who used to put this up died and I don't really know who is doing it now, but it's certainly not as bad as it used to be.  But, on the other hand, it's not good.
                  It used to be right in Centralia until the 1996 floods got it and it moved out to route 12 intersection south of Chehalis.
                  It has made us southwest washington folks the laughing stock of the country, but maybe we can at least always count on death and floods in this area.

gretel

•  We had a long time state representative in the (1+ / 0-)
            tietack

Longview area named Bob Williams who was part of the same crowd.  He went on to found the anti-teacher's union Evergreen Foundation.

by msstaley on Tue Oct 16, 2007 at 07:49:56 AM PDT

•  Excellent Point (1+ / 0-)
      RonK Seattle

Can we put self-righteously tut-tut at minor Democratic pork politics further down on our to-do lists, so that  it looks like:

1. replace Reichert with Darcy Burner
      1. make a credible run at Doc Hastings,
      1. sign up for carbon offsets

1. pick up the laundry

Then wring our hands and make clucking noises over Democrats
      ???