View Diary: Saturday Morning Home Repair blogging 2.11 (207 comments)

•  Leave it like it is (4+ / 0-)
    claude, rincewind, mint julep, Bronx59

I think you ought to just clean it up and go with it as it is. I don't see the sense in remodeling just to sell it. Let the new owners do what they want with it and save yourself the bucks. Maybe new appliances but only then if its sits on the market a long while.

If you put it on the market and people are coming in saying "Nice place but the kitchen sucks," then go ahead and remodel. Other than that, I'd just do cosmetics

" You don't need to be an icthyologist to know when a rotten fish stinks." Daniel Ellsberg, from "Secrets"

by exlrrp on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:00:01 AM PDT

•  Oh, the cabinets *definitely* need to be replaced (2+ / 0-)
      rincewind, Bronx59

The drawers and insides are falling apart.  Not only that but with a little ingenuity, I can increase the storage capacity of the cabinets with new ones with cleverly designed lazy susans and pull outs.
      I'm thinking that any serious cook is going to appreciate that.
      I've seen how my neighbors did their kitchens and they don't know nuthin' about efficient design.  They still have appliances cluttering up their precious countertop real estate.  I can do MUCH better and already have with storage box/banquettes, microwave/range hood and stem glassware hanging fixtures.  By the time I'm finished, this kitchen will be a buyer's paradise.
      Er, except for the painted finish.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:12:22 AM PDT

•  good luck, goldberry (2+ / 0-)
        rincewind, Leo in NJ

You sound like you know what youre doing. Hope it works out for you!!

by exlrrp on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:17:59 AM PDT

•  cabinets (1+ / 0-)
        rincewind

what I live with, for years now, are standard 32mm Euro boxes, melamine laminate interior in 3/4 inch stock. You get a huge volume of boxes that you assemble yourself (or your teenager can, if you can't)

pragmatic functional.  The style, design, whatever you want to call it is all in the doors, which, being standardized, can be bought from any of hundreds of suppliers with confidence they will fit, and all kinds of woods and styles are available.

This is the no frame type of cabinet in which you see only the doors/drawers with nothing in between.

don't always believe what you think...

by claude on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 01:02:50 PM PDT

•  Neat, clean, and sound is what you need (2+ / 0-)
      rincewind, Spud1

Repaint your cabinets if paint is in poor shape and replace counter top with a good laminate if well worn. Spend $2,000, not $40,000--unless you're townhouse has an elevator, five baths, and a sub-zero refrigerator.

The TV shows that spend a grand or two on fixing up a house to sell have the right idea.  In the case of my first house, it sold a few days after painting the front door and replacing the light fixture next to it.

The Republican Party is a criminal enterprise.

by Bronx59 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:30:55 AM PDT

•  Cost is more like $8-10K (4+ / 0-)
        rincewind, Spud1, Bronx59, Leo in NJ

for the best cabinets at home improvement center plus solid surface countertop.  It's kinda worth it in case I decide to stay here.  Like I mentioned, these cabinets are 20 years old and they are falling apart.  The new doors are the only new parts.  They are cheap builder's cabinets and buyer's will not be fooled once they open them up.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:40:14 AM PDT

•  You're right if they're falling apart (2+ / 0-)
          rincewind, Leo in NJ

$10K is my budget for a similar renovation if I go DIY.  I'm thinking of busting that budget on a counter-depth refrigerator, though.

The Republican Party is a criminal enterprise.

by Bronx59 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:44:27 AM PDT

•  I always figure $1000 a foot for (3+ / 0-)
            rincewind, Bronx59, Leo in NJ

base and wall cab's and countertop for new construction.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." -- Winston Churchill

by Spud1 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 09:01:52 AM PDT