View Diary: Saturday Morning Home Repair blogging 2.11 (207 comments)

•  Really? (3+ / 0-)
    Ed in Montana, rincewind, mint julep

I just can't wrap my head around the dark wood thing.  What is it you like about it? Seriously. I am completely stumped by this.
    Like I said before, my kitchen already has painted white shaker style doors and it is most definitely NOT country.  My mother has dark wood doors and her kitchen looks country as all get out.
    With transitional style, it can look sleek and modern, country and cottage or traditional formal.  What makes the difference is not the finish but the moldings.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:28:36 AM PDT

•  It's a preference thing. My in-laws have cherry (2+ / 0-)
      rincewind, Leo in NJ

cabs and they are beautiful, but my mother in-law hates modern lighting, and so the Kitchen is so poorly lit that it's actually hard to work in it. There Kitchen is big - 16 feet by 24 feet with a casual dining table in it.

Again, in my opinion making the Kitchen look fresh and large to a prospective buyer is important. exlrrp's point about not doing anything does have merit, especially if the new owner would remodel anyway - Kitchens are very personal spaces. Perhaps you could increase your asking price but offer to throw back some money to help the new owner to remodel.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities." -- Winston Churchill

by Spud1 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 08:58:39 AM PDT

•  Your MIL and my husband (4+ / 0-)
        rincewind, mint julep, Spud1, Leo in NJ

Must be on the same wavelength.  I'm trying to get better lighting in this place.  Our cabinets are so long and under them is so dark, but my husband is very against under cabinet lighting.  He mumbles something about "Your stupid highend kitchen stores in West Hollywood..." and that ends the conversation.  I think, if we ever get paid, I'm just going to map out my lighting preferences and just get it done.  If he doesn't like it, he won't be forced to turn on the switch.

•  Bad strategy (3+ / 0-)
        rincewind, Spud1, Leo in NJ

Here is a townhouse in my neighborhood that has been on the market for some time now.  The other units in this development sell quickly but this one has not.  As you can see from the pics, the owner is still living with the original builder's kitchen.  She's made some other tactical errors as well.  For instance, she has turned a perfectly good study/office/den area into a second dining room when there is plenty of space in her kitchen for a banquette and table.  And don't even get me started on the color scheme.
        If she just spent a little money on kitchen, just by painting the cabinetry and changing the doors and replacing the laminate with a newer one, this house would move.
        I have NO idea why she hasn't done it yet.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 10:57:28 AM PDT

•  Wow, that's one tacky kitchen (2+ / 0-)
          rincewind, Spud1

No charm what-so-EVAH!

I agree, even painting everything including those (fake?) wood accents off-white would be an improvement! Shaker doors? A great improvement!

Looks like the hiatus between the Sensible '60s and the Styleless '70s. Ecchh!

•  See?! (2+ / 0-)
            rincewind, Leo in NJ

THAT'S what I had when I moved in except everything was surrounded by "chicks and ducks and geese" in a quaint country blue.  My mother loved it (she would) and my BFF thought the blue carpeting was perfectly serviceable, even if all of my furnishings clashed.
            So, once as I'm doing my kitchen, I'm going to save as many doors and hinges as I can and take them to this poor woman along with a can of Valspar pale ivory semigloss as my gift.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 11:46:44 AM PDT

•  The housing and commercial buildings of the 70s.. (2+ / 0-)
            rincewind, Leo in NJ

are aging very poorly.  The commercial buildings, especially, seem to be coming down in large numbers.

The Republican Party is a criminal enterprise.

by Bronx59 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 12:21:59 PM PDT

•  I should have written more carefully (3+ / 0-)
      rincewind, Spud1, Leo in NJ

When I was shopping for houses, kitchens with painted cabinets, especially if they were very country looking were a complete turnoff.  It just makes me itch and want to puke.  And there's the laziness factor.  If there's a dark wood, I can live with it for a bit before I paint or restain, and there are plenty of ways to minimize it.  But Country?  Ugh.  I'd have to tackle that immediately or I'd have tacky wallpaper, toast cozies and visions of ducks with bows in my head.  So it goes this like this:  I'd prefer a bat cave over a country kitchen, just on pure work output and interior decoration alone.

But you have Shaker style doors.  That's not bad.  I wouldn't put them in my home (unless I had bought a Craftsman), but they are pretty versatile.

•  funny you mention country... (3+ / 0-)
        rincewind, Spud1, Leo in NJ

When I first moved in, the owner had been living with these crappy RTF plain front, beige doors with narrow oak strips at the bottom.  But she had done the entire rest of the kitchen in country complete with Pennsylvania Dutch style stencil border in blues and pinks.  Her knick-knacks were all ducky decor.  She must have been a real quacker with those over the top cardigans. All of this is with those cheap European style doorfronts which don't look anything like country.  They just look like cheap European doorfronts.  It was everything around them that was country.  In fact, the border was throughout the whole house and the carpeting was wedgewood blue.  GAG ME!  I am so not country it ain't funny.
        The nice thing about Shaker doors, especially the painted ones is that if the buyer has enough imagination, they are completely adaptable to any style. I'm one of those people who instantly see stuff that isn't there so to me, painted Shakers make a lot of sense.  They're clean, simple, classic and versatile.  A painted finish is easy to take care of. Put on sleek brushed nickel hardware and stainless appliances and voile! Modern/contemporary.  Put on antiqued brass and crown molding and it's traditional.  Switch to bin pull hardware and beadboard trim and you have country.
        And it's bright.  Lighting in my Kitchen is already pretty good but if the cabinets were dark, it would just look smaller, closed in and gloomy.

-3.63, -4.46 "Choose something like a star to stay your mind on- and be staid"

by goldberry on Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 10:29:22 AM PDT