View Diary: Mukasey must be Blocked! (87 comments)

•  Aren't you the optimist! (4+ / 0-)

Although I am surprised the fast track to confirmation wasn't greased, there is no doubt of the confirmation's  inevitability.

Thanks for trying.

•  Why is it inevitable? (6+ / 0-)

I'm getting so tired of so-called "progressives" laying down and conceding defeat. It's like a side sport around here, standing on the sidelines and giggling "Hee hee, look at these naive fools, actually believing that we're not all doomed! Hee hee!".

Whatever. Knee-jerk cynicism is easy, lazy, unimpressive and unhelpful.

0101011101100101 010101000110100001100101 010100000110010101101111011100000110110001100101

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 03:17:25 PM PDT

•  Totally agree, Kovie! (3+ / 0-)
        macmcd, kovie, greenearth

I think part of what makes it seem so "clever" to those who spout this crap, is that the overwhelming majority of them probably have no living memory of a time when they or their relatives were not "free" - in the standard middle-American usage of the word.

I would be shocked if any children or grandchildren of Auschwitz survivors, or of WWII French Resistance fighters, or even 1960s civil rights marchers, were to log onto DailyKos and post such defeatist "humor."

It's almost as if the fight for political freedom is seen as nothing more than a Nintendo computer game.

•  I think that some of them (3+ / 0-)

are--or at least claim to be, if some of their responses to me whenever I slam down one of these comments, of which there are way too many here, are to be believed--older people who once "believed" in our democracy, but have lost faith in it.

Maybe, maybe not. My belief is that if your belief in our democracy was so weak to begin with, it was never really sincere. Fairweather democrats (or Democrats).

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 03:40:28 PM PDT

•  You are incorrect in your (1+ / 0-)
          greenearth

characterization of me.

Not that it matters, but if you think the path our country is taking is toward something good, more power to you. I reside in a reality based world.

•  Typical (0+ / 0-)

We're going off a cliff and there's nothing that we can do about it. So reality-based.

I never said that "the path our country is taking is toward something good". You're putting words in my mouth--which is, again, typical of people with your sort of mindset, who tend to see things in sensationalist or exaggerated terms. I.e. things are never just bad--which of course they are--but rather irreversibly catastrophic.

And for the record--and I've stated this in so many words countless times--yes, we are in a very, very serious crisis that could have us all going off a cliff soon. I don't dispute that. What I do dispute is that all hope is lost, this is inevitable, and there's nothing that we can do about it, which your attitude on Mukasey pretty much says.

"Reality", which you seem to know more about than the rest of us (another typical utterance from people such as yourself), is actually not as black and white as you want to believe it is. The fact that we've been on a bad path for so long might mean that we're headed towards a cliff (which I agree that we are), but it does NOT mean that we're bound to go over it. Ever heard of the term "back from the brink"?

But if you want to continue to believe in inevitable defeat, and think that that makes you more "reality-based", be my guest. Sure saves you from a lot of trouble.

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 04:12:15 PM PDT

•  Forgive me (0+ / 0-)

Your statement that those who express disgust with the leadership must not understand how bad this were at various points in history implied you believe what is happening will not lead to catastrophe on a historic scale. Since apparently that isn't what you believe, please explain what you do think will happen.

We disagree.

Your insults will not prove your point, in actually they only demonstrate you have no other way to defend your position.

•  Again with the black and white thinking (0+ / 0-)

I.e. that because things are bad and headed in the wrong direction, the only possible conclusion is that we're doomed. It's not your worry and fear that this may happen that bothers me. That part's totally reality-based, and if it leads to strong preventive action, commendable. It's your conviction that this WILL happen, and that there's nothing that we can do about it (your words, not mine), that does.

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 07:58:15 PM PDT

•  It's a defense mechanism (1+ / 0-)
        greenearth

If I'm prepared for the certain outcome, I'm not as disappointed. They've trained me not to hope.

By the way, I'm sick of so-called progressives enabling the failure of Democratic leadership with endless excuses. So at least our peeves are reciprocated.

•  This is called defeatism (1+ / 0-)
          Miles in WesternWA

Which, more than anything else, is why people actually end up being defeated. If you're convinced that you're going to lose, you usually do.

Past might be prologue, but attitude is key. I'm not saying that staving off defeat is just a matter of attitude--of course it isn't, no kumbaya here, we're up against some major obstacles, including many Dems, I realize--but without it, nothing else really matters.

One of the chief ways that the other side keeps winning is by convincing our side that we're going to lose no matter what we do. And until fairly recently, it worked. I'm trying to fight that. Defeat is not inevitable (to co-opt the other side's mantra about Iraq), so long as will-sapping defeatism is not allowed to permeate our side.

That's my entire point. Think about it. This is not personal. I'm sure that deep down, you mean well. You've just lost the fight. I suggest that you find it. Or re-find it.

I'm sure that it's in you.

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 04:20:12 PM PDT

•  Attitude (1+ / 0-)
            kovie

Thanks for putting this out there in black and white, Kovie.  It's easy to assume that that all progressives "get this," but evidently not.

It works the same way in military combat.  If you don't have self-confidence and belief in the justness of your cause, it's hard to summon the will to fight against all odds and prevail.

•  Actually, I'd put the quotation marks around (1+ / 0-)
              Miles in WesternWA

"progressives". IMO you can't be one if you see only doom and gloom and defeat. Being a progressive is literally, by definition, incompatible with such attitudes.

One can remain positive even when the odds are against you. In fact, that's precisely when you SHOULD remain positive. Anyone can be upbeat when things are going well.

Glad to see that some of us "get that". :-)

by kovie on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 08:01:42 PM PDT

•  To answer your question re inevitability (1+ / 0-)
        greenearth

Past is prologue. There will be huffing, buffing and a confirmation. Bet the farm.