View Diary: Have the Bush years taken a toll on your relationships? (138 comments)

•  My dad is 85--nothing's going to change. He's (1+ / 0-)
    angrybird

just recently become appreciative and admiring of my life--I guess I'm avoiding, but it works for us.

Maybe what you said had something to do with his change of views?

She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it.

by Boadicaea on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:28:41 PM PDT

•  Not So Much (2+ / 0-)
      angrybird, Boadicaea

He still thinks going into Iraq was correct. He is just pissed, former Air Force as well, by how mismanaged everything was.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:31:12 PM PDT

•  I understand. I always thought that even though (3+ / 0-)

pilots risk a lot (my dad was B-17s in WWII and Korea, and Hueys in Vietnam--flew and commanded rescue of pilots gone down in Laos and NV) they don't see or feel the horror of ground combat.

I spend a lot of time with veterans who have, but he'd be pissed (and I'm tired of that) if I were to bring it up.

She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it.

by Boadicaea on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:36:22 PM PDT

•  My Father's Pain Comes From His Contacts (8+ / 0-)

he was pretty senior level and he is still in contact with people that talk, cause I am betting when you have the security clearance they do it is most likely a pretty small circle. He is very careful in what he says to me, but it is clear from his tone that things are very, very bad.

Heck one of the places were we really started to bond was watching the military experts and my father would start to say stuff like, "I taught that guy at the Army War College and he really has no clue what he is talking about."

Just a fun aside, but my mother has been working on him. Since he retired and we started all these wars he is getting phone call after phone call with defense contractors offering him huge sums of money to head to the Middle East and advise.

My mother explained if that is what he wanted to do fine, but when he got back she wouldn't be there. That stopped that talk pretty fast.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:41:13 PM PDT

•  What do you mean pretty bad? (0+ / 0-)

Are the media not able to or prohibited from telling the whole story?

"Sometimes I wish I could change my nickname" Me

by givemhellHarryR on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:51:34 PM PDT

•  duh. (0+ / 0-)

She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it.

by Boadicaea on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:52:48 PM PDT

•  Again, He Is Very Careful In What He Says (5+ / 0-)

His biggest issue though is clear. Like it or not the military is set up to break things. That is just what they do. Nation building is not what they are set-up, trained, or equipped to do. They are in a total no win situation.

He also has issues with the time and number of deployments.

And more then anything he realizes, most likely in a level of detail that we are not getting in our media, that our military is almost "broken."

What he hints at but doesn't say directly is that the situation is much worse then we are hearing. And that the military has been begging for a lot of things they are not getting. My father may not be perfect, who is, but I am willing to bet he has maybe never lied. That was one sin above all others I couldn't get away with.

And when he knows commanders are saying this and that, and Bush goes on TV and says we're giving them everything they ask for .... that is a sin he won't permit.

"It is not enough to win, all others must lose," Sun Tzu.

by webranding on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:56:53 PM PDT

•  No doubt (1+ / 0-)
                webranding

Like it or not the military is set up to break things

The military is trained to kill and complete the mission.  They are very good at both.  Let me be clear I am not knocking the military in the least bit over killing.  I admire those that serve very much.

"Sometimes I wish I could change my nickname" Me

by givemhellHarryR on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 12:09:17 AM PDT

•  I worry most about my son--a Navy officer (5+ / 0-)

with a really demanding job.  He's deployed now and before he left we had some long conversations.  He'd come around to really supporting me in my protest etc. work and told me how he felt about his CinC:  it wasn't respectful.

It's hard to do what he's doing without trust in that particular line of command.  I know a lot of active duty military who feel the same way, but of course it's my son I feel most badly for.

It was good to be able to talk to him, though.  He'd been very negative about what I do for a long time, but now we really understand each other and he's very supportive and proud of me (and I of him).

She didn't know it couldn't be done, so she went ahead and did it.

by Boadicaea on Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 11:52:35 PM PDT

• Barack Obama (21)
  • Media (21)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Spam (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • White House (15)
  • International (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site