View Diary: Imaginary Babies and Unborn Children (84 comments)

•  I've predicted that if a Dem wins the WH (6+ / 0-)

and we gain more numbers in the HOuse and Senate, the right wing religious loonies will go nuts. ANd that when the Repubs lose, the Religious Riech will regain its stanglehold onthe Repubs completely--because without them,t hey can't win. Even a semi-fascist like Giuliani isn't enough to appease them.

Expect renewed bom,bing campaigns and murders.

Buy yourself a Kevlar vebst adn wear it, pelase. We can't afford to lsoe the smart,c arign oens like you.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 02:08:49 PM PDT

•  I agree irish. (7+ / 0-)

I'm also afraid they'll start acting up violently again when (and I mean when) the pro-choice Dems take over the White House and retain the House and Senate.

During the Clinton era, Janet Reno was a lifesaver in the Justice Dept. and it will be even more important to have someone strong in that position so these jackasses won't get away with murder again.

Batten down the hatches!!

HotFlashReport - Opinionated liberal views of the wrongs of the right

by annrose on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 02:15:57 PM PDT

•  I'm with Ann as history shows us (6+ / 0-)

that after Clinton took office, the shooting started.  As long as the anti-choice folks had the White House with Bush the elder, they didn't issue calls to violence. We will need someone like Janet Reno to protect clinics and providers and prosecute violators to the fullest extent of the law.  Kevlar vests aren't the answer as Dr. Britton had on and he didn't live.  They're too easily distinguised, then 'head shots' happen.
        At one time, a MS dr. rode in vehicle with 2 U. S. Marshalls (armed), wore a vest and bullet resistant helmet.  That may be where we're going again.

•  Actually, the shooting started in (5+ / 0-)
          tryptamine, moiv, irishwitch, Jain, Womantrust

Springfield, MO, in 1991, right after Hard Truth first came out.  Ann rose will know this, because she now works with someone who worked in that clinic when it happened.  Before Bill Clinton came to offfice.

A private gyn office offering full gyn services including abortion care to 18 weeks.

by william f harrison on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 02:51:37 PM PDT

•  Who was this? Now I can't remember... (0+ / 0-)
          •  Reached its peak when he started (2+ / 0-)
            annrose, moiv

using marshals to protect the clinics. Fell WAY down under TGDSOBGWB as you  all him  (and deservedly so).

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 03:29:58 PM PDT

•  it fell way down because of the FACE law. (1+ / 0-)
              annrose

Passed and signed under Clinton.  Had nothing to do with that GDSOBGWB!  wfh

by william f harrison on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 03:33:28 PM PDT

•  Actually i PEAKED under CLinton. (0+ / 0-)

I looked up the stats and provided links tot hem a few diaries backk.  There has been a huge decline in violence other than demos and threats under Bush.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 08:54:42 PM PDT

•  Actually Drs. Gunn, Patterson and Britton were (4+ / 0-)

killed before marshals were offered- Face was signed into law before Dr. Britton was killed in July, 1994 but after Dr. Gunn in March, 1993 and Dr.Patterson in August, 1993.
              Marshals came on site within 24 hours after Dr. Britton was killed, at least in our area.
              Salvi struck after that but died in prison.
              Hill's death sentence slowed the anti's down as they've readily admitted.
              I think 3 docs being shot & killed during '93-'94 was the 'peak'.
              I'm glad Dr. Slepian's killer is convicted but sorry he gets to live. Am also glad Rudolph convicted and equally sorry he manipulated feds into life sentence.

•  When I was a wild man, back in (3+ / 0-)
                annrose, moiv, Fabian

my wild and wooly youth, I spent more than a few nights in jail.  And when I was a senior medical student, I worked at Arkansas's infamous Cummins Prison for several weekends, doing medical exams on new prisoners and seeing sick prisoners at morning sick call in the medical barracks.  On occasion, I was called into the huge wards that housed several hundred inmates.  I can tell you from these experiences that it gets awfully dark at night in jail and prison, and the darkness seeminly lasts forever.  And you are not in there with nice people or interesting conversationalists.  I can't imagine a worse fate than having to epend the rest of my life in such an environment.  As a young man, I don't think I would have lived, or wanted to live very long under such conditions.

Give me liberty, or give me death!

by william f harrison on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 05:19:31 PM PDT

• Rescued (20)
  • Labor (19)
  • Environment (19)
  • 2016 (19)
  • Politics (18)
  • Media (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site