View Diary: Could the 2008 Election be Like the 1932 Election? (339 comments)

•  What would our party do without . . . (1+ / 0-)
    paige

. . . DHinMI's ever gracious and temperate bridge-building to those he disagrees with?

"Do not forget that every people deserves the regime it is willing to endure." -- White Rose letter no. 1

by keikekaze on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 04:29:59 PM PST

•  Characterizing Our Candidates... (17+ / 0-)

...as "Bush lite" doesn't leave room for respectful disagreement.  It's a bullshit, dishonest and/or stupid canard, and I don't believe in letting bullshit like that go unchallenged.

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 04:31:43 PM PST

•  I've complained about Bill Clinton that way (4+ / 0-)

before, but after W, the contrast is rather stark.  You make a good point about leaving room for respectful disagreement.

I'm with Meteor Blades about restraining my celebration on 9/20/09, though.  I'll be grateful to see evidence of a responsive, radically different administration before going on a celebratory bender.

Who stole the kishka? Someone bring it back!

by rhubarb on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 04:45:46 PM PST

•  As I Mentioned Downthread... (5+ / 0-)

...there's the issue of what could possibly happen between now and election day, which is what I'm dealing with now.  But in a future piece, I'm also going to discuss how the Democrats will need to govern from Congress and the WH much more boldly than I'm afraid they're currently inclined to do, or else the gains will be for naught.

by Dana Houle on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 04:56:13 PM PST

•  Assuming You Are Correct, DHinMI (1+ / 0-)
            auapplemac

next week I will discuss how it could lead to a major Democratic victory in 2008.

... and the Democratic Party makes major gains in 2008, including winning the White House, the most-recent basis of comparison would the 1993-1995 period.

Given their (perceived) inability to make any substantial policy changes in the past year as well as the 1993-1995 disaster, where's the evidence of a radical change in direction for the country as happened following FDR's election in 1932?

If it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised even as I'm not terribly optimistic.

A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. America for Gore

by JekyllnHyde on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 05:57:54 PM PST

•  Veto (1+ / 0-)
              auapplemac

That's the reason for no major changes.  Plus the fact we have a barely functional majority in the Senate.  There's really no mystery why we haven't seen any major changes in the past year.

Sometimes I even wish we'd missed taking back the Senate by one seat, because so many people see we have a "majority" and dream up unrealistic expectations of what that means.

Plus, don't underestimate the overpowered nature of the Presidency, which was one of the big mistakes the founders of our country made.  It wasn't that a king was purely because of hereditary, it was also bad because that much power should never be concentrated in one person.  An elected king is almost as bad as a hereditary one.

In any case, look how tempered the Republicans were when Clinton was in power compared to when Bush was in power.  The president makes a huge difference.

As to why we should expect major changes?  Well...just rolling back the Republican disasters would be a step in the right direction.  Will this country be worse off with a Democratic majority or a Republican one?  I think too many idealists think in terms of absolute accomplishments, when a more realistic viewpoint focuses on relative ones.  Relatively speaking there is no question which will serve our country better.

Don't like XOM and OPEC? What have YOU done to reduce your oil consumption? Hot air does NOT constitute a renewable resource!

by Asak on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 08:52:11 PM PST

•  Is that supposed to be 1/20/09? nt (0+ / 0-)

. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall -- think of it, ALWAYS. Mahatma Gandhi

by Sacramento Dem on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 08:54:12 PM PST

•  I suppose I should have said "RepublicanLite" (0+ / 0-)

. . . as BushLite may be a bit excessive.  Otherwise, I stand by my comment and my prediction, which is accurate.  I did not, in fact, characterize anyone as anything, but warned of an actual and a perceptual pitfall that will need to be carefully avoided during the campaign if we want to be as successful in 2008 as we might be.  But trust you to fail to understand what's fairly obvious, and to start personally attacking people whose opinions are not your own--not only here (and not only me) but downthread as well.

by keikekaze on Sun Nov 18, 2007 at 09:50:05 PM PST

•  Stupid Comment (0+ / 0-)

Predictions can only be proven accurate after that which they predicted has already happened.

And Republican Lite is just as bullshit as Bush lite.

by Dana Houle on Mon Nov 19, 2007 at 02:56:05 AM PST