View Diary: Did someone pour water on Thompson's candidacy? (159 comments)

•  Well, look (1+ / 0-)
    ShadowSD

At least Ron Paul is against using war as an instrument of foreign policy.  Yes, his other views are crap, but so are all the other Republican candidates.  I would probably be happier with him in office than any of the others, knowing that he at least would get us out of wars.

Either Paul is more pragmatic than he seems and would work OK with a Democratic Congress, or he would just veto everything and be destined for defeat in 2012.

Paul's views on the issues are wrong and/or dumb, but on balance he is less dangerous than the others simply because he's not a rabid warmonger.

Don't like XOM and OPEC? What have YOU done to reduce your oil consumption? Hot air does NOT constitute a renewable resource!

by Asak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:10:34 AM PST

•  He wouldn't just (3+ / 0-)
      bwintx, ivorybill, JeffW

get us out of wars.
        He'd get us out of the UN.
        He is a classic 1960's John Birch Society guy, which the John Birch Society (what's left of it) realizes-- their president is all over the talk radio airwaves explaining how great Ron Paul is.

I could have been a soldier... I had got part of it learned; I knew more about retreating than the man that invented retreating. --Mark Twain

by NogodsnomastersMary on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:21:07 AM PST

•  Is that a bad thing? (0+ / 0-)

In all honesty we just muck the UN up with our vetos on the security council anyway.  Becoming isolationist and leaving the rest of the world to tend to itself is infinitely better than continuing to act in the dangerous and irresponsible manner that we currently are.

The world would do better with us out of the UN than it would do with us in Iran.  Frankly the UN can probably operate better without us in the first place.

by Asak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:29:27 AM PST

•  The US (3+ / 0-)
          bwintx, ivorybill, JeffW

is the one remaining superpower. If the US pulls out of the UN, the UN craters. That is effectively what Ron Paul wants.
             He is also militantly antiabortion, and has gone on record saying some hideously racist things. Maybe you are right. Perhaps he is just Republicanism full-blown, Republicanism totally unveiled.

by NogodsnomastersMary on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:35:26 AM PST

•  The world doesn't need a super power (0+ / 0-)

I don't really see what the point of having a US in the UN that just disregards it, as we did with Iraq, and basically uses its veto power to shut down anything that criticizes Israel or any of our other pet allies.  The UN is effectively dead already with the US acting like that.  Better just to leave it in that case.  Of course, the best thing is to get our act together, but I don't believe we'll do that with a President Giuliani, for example.

I'm not saying Ron Paul is good in any way, just that all things considered I can't imagine him being any worse than the other potential Republican nominees.  I also think he'd probably lose once his bizarre views came out into the open.

by Asak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:40:00 AM PST

•  Wishing (1+ / 0-)
              ivorybill

that the US were not a superpower will not make it so.

by NogodsnomastersMary on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 01:30:35 AM PST

•  Another 8 years with Republicans in charge (1+ / 0-)
                ShadowSD

Will take care of that.

They had fangs...they were drinking blood....They had this look in their eyes, totally animal. I think they were young Republicans. (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

by wrights on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 03:56:12 AM PST

•  its already taken care of (0+ / 0-)

Yes, we have nukes; but we can't respond militarily to Pakistan or any other mess. Financially the US has been spent/borrowed into bankruptcy. The dollar is cratering, and will fall another 50%, as China gets rid of dollars.

Osama won.

fouls, excesses and immoderate behaviors will not be ignored at Over the line, Smokey!.

by seesdifferent on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 04:37:45 AM PST

•  I feel like we're arguing over semantics now (0+ / 0-)

An isolationist country would not impact world events as much.  This is all a moot point anyway as Ron Paul won't get elected.

I don't really believe we're a super power right now to be honest.  I think that we've already lost that degree of influence and power, but we just haven't realized it yet.  The cratering dollar is an example of this.

Our fairly pathetic exercise in Iraq is another.  Whether the result of incompetence or some other reason, it gives more of the sense of the last throes of a dying empire than that of a true super power.  China could have conquered Iraq as well and they also have the manpower and crass leadership necessary to occupy it indefinitely.

by Asak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 05:03:36 AM PST

•  Please note I'm not advocating leaving the UN (1+ / 0-)
        ShadowSD

Just saying that I still see Ron Paul as being less bad than the alternatives.

by Asak on Tue Nov 20, 2007 at 12:30:10 AM PST