View Diary: John Edwards, Trial Lawyers, and McDonald's Coffee (223 comments)

•  sphealey, Heal thyself (4.00)
    If you don't like troll ratings for controversial but genuine opinions, why did you troll rate DHinMI?  Doesn't it fall under the category you think should not be troll-rated? Do you even know what the term means? I'm not just trying to insult you. I think you've made up your own meaning to the term if you apply it to DHinMi's post but not Great Hunter's.

Don't understand NY politics? Try The Nor'Easter

by jd in nyc on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 04:27:41 PM PDT

•  Because the response fit the definition? (none)
      > If you don't like troll ratings for controversial
      > but genuine opinions, why did you troll rate
      > DHinMI?  Doesn't it fall under the category you
      > think should not be troll-rated?

Because the response, unlike the OP, did not contribute anything meaningful to the discussion?  Its only purpose was to inflame opinion against the OP?  And while that doesn't exactly fit the traditional definition of a troll:

it is reasonably close?

Saying "this person lives under a bridge folks" is not a meaningful response to the expression of an opinion which is widely held - even if you believe that opinion is incorrect or that other posts by the comment author were inflammatory.

I am also not a big fan of people jumping in with multiple comments and comments refutations on their own essays, but that is perhaps just a personal thing.

I am now deeply disappointed with the moderation on this thread.

sPh

•  the contribution (3.66)
        First, why in the world shouldn't the entry writer also post in the thread? I actually much prefer that. It means the OP is willing to get down and dirty with the rest of us, and doesn't set him/herself off, aloof from the rest of us. Are you worried that s/he will be too much of a bully? Please. If we can't handle it with the freedom and anonymity that comes online, we can't handle it anywhere.

DHinMi's post was not meant to inflame, but was meant to reduce or prevent an overly heated exchange. In other words, the opposite of trolling. It was also informative. It pointed us to this person's history of posting, and we can then go look it up and decide what we think about it.

I'm not claiming DHinMI or any other main page poster has no ability to influence how others think. If there were no influence at all, there would be no reason to post, would there? I hope we're not all just yakking in to the void.

Don't understand NY politics? Try The Nor'Easter

by jd in nyc on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 05:19:20 PM PDT

•  Well, while you may not be ... (4.00)
        ... a big fan of people jumping in with multiple comments and comments refutations on their own essays, other readers get irked when an essayist doesn't engage after a controversial post.

My goal when I post an essay is to get a discussion/debate going, and if I abandon the thread after my first contribution, then I feel I've not lived up to my part of the deal.

Hooray for girlie men.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 05:26:37 PM PDT

•  One of my mantras (4.00)
          Diary writers, main page and otherwise, should ALWAYS be avaiable to engage in the discussion.

My rule _ I don't post a diary unless I can be avaiable to respond for at least an hour or so.

"We're not criticizing Bush for going after terrorists, we're criticizing him for NOT going after terrorists." - Wes Clark (hopefully in the future J. Kerry)

by Armando on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 05:46:16 PM PDT

•  Moderation in this thread (4.00)
        (I'll refrain from making a pun on the word "moderation")

Thing about dKos is, barring egregious behaviour, the vast majority of posts here are "moderated" collectively. That is to say, when someone is way out of line, the zero and 1 ratings go through the roof: big flashing red wanring light. Except in very rare instances, there's nobody in a room somewhere monitoring the threads and making sure people follow the rules. We do that for ourselves.

And it's absurd to demand that the diraist not post his own comments and responses -- for god's sake, that's the whole point of posting a diary, to have a frigging discussion.

I suspect that if you did a little homework on the Troll in Question, say, for instance, reading past diaries and posts of his, you'd get an idea that, in the aggregate, he is, in fact, a big fat stinking troll. Check out his ratings history, too, while you're at it. He is more guilty of punitive troll rating than anyone else on this thread.

Look before you leap into the fray, dear.

Maryscott O'Connor -- Rage, rage, against the lying of the Right.

by Maryscott OConnor on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 05:37:41 PM PDT

•  Unhappy With Moderation or With Disagreement? (none)
        Funny that you've twice said you were unhappy with the moderation.  Maybe I'm making more to this that necessary, but I couldn't help but notice that when you first said that you were unhappy with the moderation, I had only made two comments, the one about Great Hunter, and this comment, disagreeing with you.  Seven minutes later, you were unhappy with my moderation.

What about my "moderation" on this thread could you really be unhappy in the first few minutes it was up...you know, besides the fact that I respectfully disagreed with you?

•  You suck (none)
          Lousy moderator!  Haha.  One of the best DHinMi.  But you don't need me to tell you that.

by Armando on Sun Aug 01, 2004 at 05:51:46 PM PDT