View Diary: Henry Hyde, former (R-IL) has died at 83 (70 comments)

•  If someone doesnt get respect (5+ / 0-)

from me when they are alive, they dont suddenly get it because they died.

Capt. Spaulding: "How happy I could be with either of these two if both of them just went away."

by ratador on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 07:28:44 AM PST

•  fair enough (1+ / 0-)
      ratador

no one is forcing anyone to respect it. It was my own personal expression...

"When you see a rattlesnake poised to strike, you do not wait until he has struck to crush him." - FDR

by Chuckie on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 07:29:47 AM PST

•  That's fine (0+ / 0-)

But that doesn't require anyone to post messages crowing about it, either.  The old adage "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" comes to mind.

I finally put in a signature!

by Boris Godunov on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 09:43:40 AM PST

•  you can live by that adage if you would like (2+ / 0-)
        mainefem, ratador

but in my opinion

Silence=Death.

"Wrap it in a Bible and a flag and you can sell it in this country by the bushel full---even the leveling of our most beautiful mountains."

by Tom P on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 09:47:12 AM PST

•  I was referring (2+ / 0-)
          Tom P, Chuckie

to remarks relating to the passing of an individual.  Nothing in that requires someone to be silent about criticisms of a person's record.  By all means, critiques of Hyde's actions should come to light.  The diary actually brings such things up.

But there's a big difference between that and saying things like, oh, "GOOD!" or gleefully imagining he's in some sort of hell or whatever.  That's the kind of shit we see all the time on LGF and Freeperville, and people who do it are only demeaning themselves.

I finally put in a signature!

by Boris Godunov on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 10:09:49 AM PST

•  tell that to Dorothy (2+ / 0-)
            mainefem, ratador

Because even in Children's tales, they get to sing, "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" when their political enemies die!

So maybe instead of "GOOD" we can just say, "DING DONG!"

by Tom P on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 11:44:22 AM PST

•  If you want to base your behavior (2+ / 0-)
              Tom P, Chuckie

in such circumstances on a children's movie, that's your perogative.  But it says infinitely more about you than it does about your "enemies."

I finally put in a signature!

by Boris Godunov on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 11:58:16 AM PST

•  It's good enough for me (1+ / 0-)
                ratador

(chuckle...)

by Tom P on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 12:46:56 PM PST

•  yes, this enemy of mine (1+ / 0-)
                Tom P

was part of the leadership of nothing more than a cabal who spent thousands of hours of Congressional time and millions of dollars of our tax money trying to hound and force my Democratic President out of office. In sainted Henry's case, over activities that he had similarly occupied himself in.  I repeat,

to hell with him and his ilk

by ratador on Thu Nov 29, 2007 at 01:35:42 PM PST

•  Damned straight, Deaah... (0+ / 0-)

I never clip around grave markers/headstones, or purchase flowers for the misogynists in my family trees (which includes quite a few--going back decades & centuries).

Let the weeds grow to the moon--I could give a fuck.

I do care for and tend the graves of their (female) victims instead (not bad for an Atheist, huh)?

Nobody of the misogynistic ilk demands "respect" from me--whether alive, or dead.

Rinse...lather...repeat.

The world would've been better off if Hyde had died at least thirty-five years ago...his misogynistic legislation was intentional, is the difference.

Go ahead and "grieve" for the lives of millions of women (who were certainly not in a position of political power and influence), whose lives were permanently ruined--esp. low income women & their children.

Limit welfare to 2 years & cut welfare spending.
      Hyde signed the Contract with America:

[As part of the Contract with America, within 100 days we pledge to bring to the House Floor the following bill]:
      The Personal Responsibility Act:
      Discourage illegitimacy and teen pregnancy by prohibiting welfare to minor mothers and denying increased AFDC for additional children while on welfare, cut spending for welfare programs, and enact a tough two-years-and-out provision with work requirements to promote individual responsibility.
      Source: Contract with America 93-CWA5 on Sep 27, 1994

Again--I hope the asshole was in pain.