View Diary: National Review: GOP in Deep Doo-Doo (315 comments)

•  Well, with what the Rethugs (17+ / 0-)

are trying to do to public education (cough, NCLB, cough) and to higher education (make it unaffordable for middle and lower-class students through various maneuvers) I wouldn't be surprised if kids' ability to reason continues its downward drift.

•  The toobs (5+ / 0-)

carry too much info for that to happen, and with the increased availability of broadband, more's to come.

I think (hope) the upcoming generation will be too well informed to fall for the GOP's scams like the current (in power) generation has.

A Pew Research poll from earlier this year supports my own observations. Gen Y is coming better prepared to the fight than Gen X or my own generation were.

"We are called to be architects of the future, not its victims." R. Buckminster Fuller

by scoff0165 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 11:39:11 AM PST

•  Unfortunately (7+ / 0-)

I think you may be a bit too optimistic. Gen Y, of which I'm a member, seems to be the most self-centered, morally bankrupt, apathetic group of people I've had the displeasure of associating with. Having an unprecedented amount of information and knowledge immediately available is useless if most people would rather spend a couple hours trying to drum up their number of myspace friends.

Self entitlement and outright greed seem to be the gods of my generation, and the policies and ideas of GOP acelebrate and idolize them.

•  This may be true for (2+ / 0-)
          Coherent Viewpoint, scoff0165

all gen "y"'s... I have not met (and have much exposure to) many younger folks who think past themselves. There seems to be a natural progression from that narcissism to an interest in something not themselves.

Speaking from the X generation (im 33, am I a W?) I still am frustrated at the lack of interest in the news of the day, perhaps even my generation doesn't want to see what color Brittany's panties are run over and over again on a Serious News Network...

•  You under-estimate Gen-Y (3+ / 0-)
            belindapope, rubine, Tennessee Dave

They are the biggest audience for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, overwhelmingly so. That shows good taste, and of course, smarts!!!

Where the mind is without fear ... Where knowledge is free... Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake -- Rabindranath Tagore

by horatius on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 03:01:14 PM PST

•  33 would make you (0+ / 0-)

one of the younger members of so-called "generation x", a name we certainly didn't choose for ourselves any more than the previous so-called, "me generation". There was no W, and if there was, it's not you.

•  But you know (10+ / 0-)

That's exactly what everyone said about my generation (X) when we were younger.

I think it's just a function of being younger.  Maybe some life experience, health problems, kids, aging parents, are what kick the average person into an interest in politics (assuming they're ever going to develop one).

I've actually hired a long string of college students as babysitters (they tend to graduate, I've never had one more than a year and usually have 2 or 3 in rotation), and even including the ones I didn't hire, that sample looks like a good future to me - good minds, good hearts.  No clue if they vote though.

"Virginia Woolf's idea of a room of one's own has never been the place for middle- and working-class women. We work with interruptions." - Ananya Chatterjea

by sarac on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 01:09:59 PM PST

•  Yes. (2+ / 0-)
            sarac, homoaffectional

I'm too old to have a letter, but that's how I viewed my cohort at that age.  I'm more optimistic now!  And this group will turn out fine as well.
            :>)

"The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children." Bonhoeffer

by LAMaestra on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 02:32:41 PM PST

•  "No clue if they vote...." (4+ / 0-)

I have a long string of teenagers (18-20 years old) come through my house each week.  I always ask them if they are registered, and if not I give them a voter registration form on the spot, and make them fill it out then and there.  I mail it for them.

Then, next election, I ask them if they voted, and most say yes.  You just have to help them over the inertia that develops naturally at that age.

"Even if [BUSH] weren't a complete idiot, which he is, he'd still be an asshole." Digby

by Bob Friend on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 05:50:34 PM PST

•  Two Americas... (1+ / 0-)
        Tennessee Dave

Yes, a lot of middle class white kids growing up in suburbia are likely to have access to the t00bz, but urban an rural poor kids are unlikely to have those advantages.  And just because somebody has access to the information, doesn't mean they will use it.  Kids use the internet for social networking, mostly, not self-education.

"Frankly, you epitomize weak. Your every pore exudes feebleness. You *are* surrender monkeys." - Meteor Blades to Capitulation Dems

by RichM on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 12:59:23 PM PST

•  They can't help themselves. (6+ / 0-)

Kids use the internet for social networking, mostly, not self-education.

That exposure is, in itself, an influence. Kids'll come across ideas they'd never have imagined. They'll get educated whether they know it or not.

by scoff0165 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 01:04:16 PM PST

•  So true (1+ / 0-)
            scoff0165

Kids weren't getting "educated" thirty years ago reading "trash" by Hunter S. Thompson and Thomas McGuane, or perhaps even Rolling Stone for that matter. Which goes to show that education is pretty much subjective...

When the trout are lost, smash the state.

by frankzappatista on Fri Nov 30, 2007 at 02:49:18 PM PST